Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 336 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't shown us any animated figures or even hinted at them so I suspect pretty scenery is about the extent of it.

Side note: Disney has Festival of Fantasy delayed until 5pm on the 8th. They only do hat if Main Street or the stage will be in use. I suspect a shot across the bow of some sort.

We didn't know about Vol until like two weeks ago. So just because they haven't hinted or said something does any admission of lack of animated figures.

I think anyone expecting show scenes or animatronics on the aqua coaster will be sorely disappointed. It is clear in early construction photos that all of the turns in the volcano rock work are enclosed tubes. The straight sections are all hills and have high walls that are difficult to see over. This type of aqua coaster typically moves pretty quick so there will not be any time to take in a show scene. The ending would have been the perfect time for a show scene but that is in the clear open day. I think there will be lighting effects in the volcano turns (lava tubes?) but nothing too fancy or ground breaking.

Also, with the volcano open in the back there is not a true 'inside' for the volcano like say Everest at DAK. The slides go through smaller cave elements but nothing that could be considered a 'show' building. The only 'show' building is on the slow lazy river when it goes through the cavern at the base of the volcano next to the play structure. The cavern itself is not part of the main volcano steel structure and was created by an elevated walkway that will be themed as a 'hill'. We have seen concept art for this cavern, I would not expect too much more.

The action river goes under the main steel structure of the volcano but it appears to be open on at least one side the whole time. There might be something small along this river but again I wouldn't expect much. I expect some nice rock work and water falls. There may be a cool lighting/sound effect if there is a second wave machine as the river exits the volcano though.

With that said, I do think there are interactive elements on walking paths through and around the volcano (Vol) but not animatronics. I expect Vol to be similar to the mystic fountain. I hope there will be 'adventure' trails similar to Tom Sawyers Island at MK where you can explore the volcano going through various caverns and small walkways making little discoveries along the way.

Just trying to keep expectations in check and hope to be proven wrong, just don't be disappointed if its not there on May 25th...

I am really looking forward to this park and think it will be a great addition to the resort!

Looks cool but I think it could be done much better with modern tech and a bigger budget. Hard to tell from a video but it has the bones of a great ride

Oh yeah its definitely not Disney quality but its really good for local Water Park. And you might not be able to tell from the videos but the initial swirling drop is pretty awesome and fast! I think the videos I've seen do not do this ride justice.

Looks cool but I think it could be done much better with modern tech and a bigger budget. Hard to tell from a video but it has the bones of a great ride

Those two slides over at WW have me thinking that Disney and Universal need to start stepping it up in regards to water rides in the future. Now obviously the question remains on how much money the two companies would want to invest in their water parks, but boy could they knock it out of the park if they did something similar to that.

Reactions: JunoSynth
Oh yeah its definitely not Disney quality but its really good for local Water Park. And you might not be able to tell from the videos but the initial swirling drop is pretty awesome and fast! I think the videos I've seen do not do this ride justice.
Actually, I found it to be BETTER than what Disney has done in waterparks. This is EXACTLY the type of attraction I expected to find at their waterparks, and was sorely disappointed when I first visited Typhoon and Blizzard to find nothing more than normal slides built into 'mountainsides'.

Reactions: tielo and JunoSynth
They haven't shown us any animated figures or even hinted at them so I suspect pretty scenery is about the extent of it.

Side note: Disney has Festival of Fantasy delayed until 5pm on the 8th. They only do hat if Main Street or the stage will be in use. I suspect a shot across the bow of some sort.

There's a UK Tv show broadcasting live from MK on the 8th

Reactions: maroonmol
I was of the view that Disney included an AA on their new raft slide as a preemptive strike as they were expecting show scenes in VB...when VB was initially announced as a water theme park, AAs, show scenes, and new tech somehow incorporating screens at the side of the rides, is what I imagined.

I think it looks great by the way, but it does appear, at this stage, where it's another project where they've gone at it 80%. It's going to be awesome, but it's not going to be revelotuniary which they have the capabilities to produce. It's looking like it will be a nice atmosphere, with the best collection of slides in Orlando though. The food looks good, I'm sure there'll be plenty of interactivity...I'm hopeful the night stuff is worthwhile.

Can I ask the dumb question of how disabled guests can swim in the splashdown pools if they can't get up the stairs..?

I'm sure it's possible but I'm betting it's the rare exception and not the norm.

Reactions: Mike S
Can I ask the dumb question of how disabled guests can swim in the splashdown pools if they can't get up the stairs..?

I'm sure it's possible but I'm betting it's the rare exception and not the norm.

You're a lot lighter in water plus I don't think most of the rides that have a splash down are all that deep.

I'm just not sold on it being permanent. The railing at the landing is completely different than the other railing. Its just 2x lumber that is typical for temporary construction barriers. The lift mechanism itself is very standard for temporary lifts used for construction. It appears to be the only slide tower to have one. I imagine the slides are still testing as these were one of the last slides to be completed and the lift is still there to help lift the dummies to the top.

I think it would be great to have ADA access to the slides but this just does not appear to be that. Again, I hope to be proven wrong but I just don't think this is permanent. Either way we will know soon enough and that is exciting!

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
I'm just not sold on it being permanent. The railing at the landing is completely different than the other railing. Its just 2x lumber that is typical for temporary construction barriers. The lift mechanism itself is very standard for temporary lifts used for construction. It appears to be the only slide tower to have one. I imagine the slides are still testing as these were one of the last slides to be completed and the lift is still there to help lift the dummies to the top.

I think it would be great to have ADA access to the slides but this just does not appear to be that. Again, I hope to be proven wrong but I just don't think this is permanent. Either way we will know soon enough and that is exciting!
This is why I've always hoped the group raft slides would have conveyor lifts like the MissAdventure Falls or Mammoth...makes them accessible to practically everyone, and then there's no climbing tons of stairs.

Reactions: Mike S
I'm so exited for this water park. With everyday of seeing photos, I start planning in my head a day guide for the park. I'd be so amazing to go to the water park during the morning and the theme parks at night (vise versa).

Reactions: maroonmol
If
This is why I've always hoped the group raft slides would have conveyor lifts like the MissAdventure Falls or Mammoth...makes them accessible to practically everyone, and then there's no climbing tons of stairs.
If you look at the conveyor belt at MissAdventure Falls it's not very steep of a climb due to the fact guests are on there. Due to that the slide takes an enormous amount of space Universal just doesn't have.
Vulcano Bay has the most number of slides off any water park in Orlando to keep their guests entertained.
I'm sure they could add a borken AA if they wanted as seen on this great the TimTracker video. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.