Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 403 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
/cracks nuckles

If you're going to come to the playground know what you're talking about. This was the Matterhorn for 20+ years inside...

insidematterhorn_3.jpg

So we are posting pictures of rides with lights on? You posted a picture of a dark ride portion of the ride with it's show lights on, probably during a ride stoppage. I mean we can trash any dark ride with it's show lights on but now you're just grasping at straws trying to defend the laziness by UO for not completing half of the volcano.

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
So we are posting pictures of rides with lights on? You posted a picture of a dark ride portion of the ride with it's show lights on, probably during a ride stoppage. I mean we can trash any dark ride with it's show lights on but now you're just grasping at straws trying to defend the laziness by UO for not completing half of the volcano.

Actually they're right. The Matterhorn was a completely exposed interior, steel and all, until they removed the skyway I believe and then they fully themed the inside.

Regardless we aren't talking about what the inside looks like 20+ years ago. I chose the Matterhorn as an example since it's a structure seen anywhere inside the park (360 degrees). Disneyland didn't just say - hey the front looks great guys don't worry about the backside it doesn't matter since only people over by small world will see it. They took the time to complete the structure not leave it incomplete.

Regardless we aren't talking about what the inside looks like 20+ years ago. I chose the Matterhorn as an example since it's a structure seen anywhere inside the park (360 degrees). Disneyland didn't just say - hey the front looks great guys don't worry about the backside it doesn't matter since only people over by small world will see it. They took the time to complete the structure not leave it incomplete.
So, about the back side of Everest that you can see from the parking lot.

Yeah, but the counter-argument was always to wait until you're in the park to see it from perspective. Well, now we're getting pics from inside the park and it still looks unfinished. The only thing that really separates this from Aquatica is the volcano, so if Universal wants to call it their 3rd gate that's fine, but I'm calling their bluff on this one. They could and should do better. It shouldn't take governance from Warner Bros or Nintendo to get them to build these environments correctly.

Why do people even want a real looking mountain? I find that the aesthetic of the blown open volcano with slides inside is much more interesting.

I'd say one reason I'd want it all enclosed, you add mystery to the rides inside, no idea what to expect... It can make the experience, dare I say it, more magical.

Reactions: Cheezbat
I don't understand the arguments that they are "lazy" for taking this approach when they did rock work on the entire interior of the volcano. It's not like they just left all of the steel beams visible. Also this way avoids a major disco yeti broken aqua coaster situation.

Also I think everyone is missing the point of why this park is going to be special. People love the Disney waterparks because they are the best themed in the world. Volcano Bay will not be. However, while the Disney parks have only moderate quality collections of slides, VB will have a top 5 collection of slides AND and top 5 theming. that combination is what is going to make this special.

I'd say one reason I'd want it all enclosed, you add mystery to the rides inside, no idea what to expect... It can make the experience, dare I say it, more magical.
I think doing it this way makes maintenance a lot easier. Water parks repair and replace sections of slide all the time.

Reactions: clsteve
Why do people even want a real looking mountain? I find that the aesthetic of the blown open volcano with slides inside is much more interesting.
As a kid, it would've blown my mind to see!

If the slides were all hidden inside I would've been way too scared to ride them. I still don't want to do the clear drop slide, but I can see that the serpentine ones at least have twists and turns this way, so I'll give them a try.

Some might say enclosing them would leave mystery, but there's a reason the biggest drops on Splash Mountain and Everest are outside the mountains and in guest view. Not just to create excitement, but to let you know *exactly* what you're getting yourself into.

I don't understand the arguments that they are "lazy" for taking this approach when they did rock work on the entire interior of the volcano. It's not like they just left all of the steel beams visible. Also this way avoids a major disco yeti broken aqua coaster situation.

Also I think everyone is missing the point of why this park is going to be special. People love the Disney waterparks because they are the best themed in the world. Volcano Bay will not be. However, while the Disney parks have only moderate quality collections of slides, VB will have a top 5 collection of slides AND and top 5 theming. that combination is what is going to make this special.
This will be the best themed water park in the world. No question. Runs circles around Typhoon lagoon.

This. Is. Not. A. View. From. A. Guest. Area.

Yes. It. Is. Read. My. Posts.

Except that this is very much within guest view. Guests will get up close and personal with the support tree:

1. While climbing the stairs of the manta mat racers.
2. While floating down the action river
3. While on board the water coaster
4. While queuing for the drop slides

The only option they have at this point is to pack it in with Bamboo, and even that won't really solve the problem.

This was a conscious decision to build it that way, though. This wasn't like they were merrily chugging along building this thing and just stopped in the middle and said, "eh, that's good enough." As has been mentioned in this thread previously, there are logistical reasons the one side is blown out. This is a whole totally different dynamic than when you're building a structure like this with just a single attraction running through it. I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with the way the open side looks, but I understand why it is the way it is and adjusted my expectations accordingly. And beyond the nitpicking we do as enthusiasts, the average Joe just is not going to give a crap about any of this, if they have a fun and relaxing day that is all they are going to care about, they could give less of a frak if one side of the volcano is a big open cavern with exposed slide supports and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.