Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily true, the Nintendo announcement really hit the mainline news, most of my non-theme park friends heard about it/posted about it.
True, but the rest barely made a dent in any real media if we're being honest. Nintendo made huge waves because it's fricken Nintendo.

All DisneyWorld marketing in the UK refers to "six parks" and makes no distinction in their advertisements between water parks or theme parks.

Reactions: Shrunkenned
If there was one park that could use the "water theme park" description it would be this one. I have no problems calling this that since it is a mix of waterpark and rides. If Uni pulls off something similar I have no issue with them calling it more than just a waterpark

http://yaswaterworld.com/en

Having been to Yas Waterworld I can tell you that there was some mild theming (a story in the park maps and characters at the front gate) but beyond that I didn't feel like I was engaged in any sort of storyline.
The large pearl atop the rock work really had nothing to do with the rides but rather an upcharge "game" similar to MagiQuest. Though the rides were fun, there was no theming to them. That being said, Yas Waterworld was an incredible waterpark and I really hope (and believe) that Universal can pull off something even more engaging and entertaining!

Remember Harry Potter was first introduced as a theme park.
Ofcourse it's not but many guests I know treat it like that and stay in that are for 2 days without complain.

No mater how they market it they still have to fail on delivering (unlike Disney's New Fantasy Land, Mission Mars and the tangled toilets).
If this park blows you away as did Diagon Alley then they are in for a hit.
I also see people dressed and wading trough the water or walking on the bridge that enters the vulcano so maybe it's not just a bathing suit park.

Yesterday's best comment on Volcano Bay...From Robert Niles,owner/ editor TPI. "There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that the park will open each morning with a ceremony where a cartoon mouse is dropped into the volcano as a sacrifice. None.".................Now, that's the kind of theming I'm talking about.

I'm a little bit confused about the location, will there be a way to get to volcano bay through city walk?

It's the plot of land under cabana bay. Through city walk you wound:

1. Walk to the left towards IOA, turn left at margaritaville and follow that path over the river the through the woods to cabana, then down the street.
2. Sapphire would be open by then so take the water taxi from city walk to there, then walk across the street to VB

Last edited:
DisneySea is a water theme park. Volcano Bay shows people walking around in their bathing suits--it's a water park.

THIS is what I'm talking about. Despite the marketing dept sceaming "FIRST WATER THEME PARK"...the only concept shows a wave pool, swimsuits, and slides. I realize this is the first piece of promotion, but I'm not buying this until I see why this is SO different then a well themed water park.

If this really is Universals "THIRD THEME PARK" then where are the 3D glasses :)

Having been to Yas Waterworld I can tell you that there was some mild theming (a story in the park maps and characters at the front gate) but beyond that I didn't feel like I was engaged in any sort of storyline.
The large pearl atop the rock work really had nothing to do with the rides but rather an upcharge "game" similar to MagiQuest. Though the rides were fun, there was no theming to them. That being said, Yas Waterworld was an incredible waterpark and I really hope (and believe) that Universal can pull off something even more engaging and entertaining!

Im still extremely jealous you got to go over there :lol:

I was more referring to the mix of slides and rides really but maybe not the best example then

I don't think there will be buses form the CityWalk side to Volcano Bay.

People will be parking in the garage across the street from VB

There's no way that garage will be big enough for VB, the hotel, and the convention center, especially when Sapphire is busy and/or there's a convention going on.

EDIT: Looking at the space that garage is going in, even though it looks like it will be 4 floors tall, I'd expect the capacity to be somewhere between Cabana Bay's garage and Portofino's. Likely closer to Cabana's.

Last edited:
Highlighting on this statement

What are things water parks haven't done so far?
1. Shows... theme parks have shows. No water parks have real shows.

Typhoon routinely has shows during the Summer, including Teen Beach Musical this Summer. Aquatica does animal presentations. Nothing like say Beetlejuice or Fantasmic, but guests go to water parks to get wet, not sit on bleachers

2. Parades.....0% of water parks have parades; Theme parks do

Agreed. See above, guests go for water rides, not to sit around.

3. Themed queues...can be argued not even Disney water parks have truly themed queues

Crush & Gusher fruit packing factory. The ski lift to highly themed queues atop Mount Whatever. Have to disagree on this one

4. Unique dining experiences...no water park has unique dining, however theme parks do.

Nothing sit-down, but again, the percentage of guests who would want that is negligible. And in terms of QSR, I'd argue the Disney water parks have some of the more interesting options resort-wide.

Its really not hard for them to market this as a theme park later on.

Except you put on a bathing suit, get in a wave pool and ride water slides. That's a water park. Guests are going to treat it as such. It will be dead in the Winter, and dead after 5:30 p.m. in the Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.