Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh hon...
dsc_0219.jpg
Of course, until it was finally redone, the issue wasn't the sides but the inside (the lovely steel structure exposed). Which also bothers me on Everest - there's light leakage in the inside and you can see the supports holding the mountain up. All that money and they couldn't make it completely dark?

I don't like this design idea either. Much cooler keeping the volcano almost entirely enclosed.
I agree, but I see what they're going for. Sort of a Tower of Terror effect where you're able to see the entire park as a part of the experience (when the window opens on ToT).

And with a drop slide, it adds to the anxiety as you'll be able to truly get a sense of how high up you are in anticipation of the ground falling out from under you.

I agree, but I see what they're going for. Sort of a Tower of Terror effect where you're able to see the entire park as a part of the experience (when the window opens on ToT).

And with a drop slide, it adds to the anxiety as you'll be able to truly get a sense of how high up you are in anticipation of the ground falling out from under you.

Well, you are more open minded than I. Yeeesh.

Reactions: Joel
I think there's some interpretation to be done on the term 'open', too. I think some are visualising a gaping hole with no thought behind it; I'm confident the reality will be a more artfully designed opening with suitable craggy rock formations around the edges, probably some bordering waterfall features, etc etc. It'll be fine.

When they say rear, I take that as facing west which isn't exactly going to be a pretty view. I'm sure one of the drop slides is facing east though in the concept art.

I'm going to assume that any area that are left open in the volcano, will have waterfall just outside. It gives you the sense of height without wasting the illusion of where you really are.

Reactions: Nick and Mike S
So Universal opened "training" for Travel Agents on Volcano Bay recently and here's some of what it said:

- 18 unique experiences
- 28 acre park
- 3 Highly Themed Restaurants featuring "Signature Food and Dining options"
- Describes attractions as "Radically innovative" and "Thrilling"
- Krakatau... Waterfall effects by day, Blazing lava by night
- "The rear of the volcano is open to reveal 3 distinctive body slides that start off with self releasing trap doors"
- Wave Village... Wave pool, beach, and "sparkling leisure pool" with a thrilling body slide that passes through it.
- River Village... home to 2 immersive children's play areas, raft rides and hidden river (lazy river) that will pass through "the volcano's hidden caves"
- Rainforest Village... Easter Island inspired tube slides, exhilarating family raft rides, and a high speed mat race. Guests will also float along "Central Florida's only Torrent Action River". The body slides that launch guests into the air will be here too. The area will also feature a "state of the art, marquee attraction found only at Volcano Bay" (Water Coaster)

They also make sure to keep beating it in that it's their third park and to call it a Water Theme Park.

This just got me all giggly on the inside. Cannot wait for this. Go ahead, call it a Water Theme Park because I think it'll deserve it. :cry: (tears of joy)

BB 36 acres. TL 34 acres. Aquatica 30 acres(minus parking & retention pond)...Those numbers are from the Orange County Property Appraiser website . VB is supposed to be apx.30-32 acres.

Thanks. So this will basically be the same size as the others.

Looking at the list of rides for this park again... I can't wait for it to be open.

Basically, ya. Especially considering the expansion plot they'll have in the southwest corner once they're done. I believe the general consensus/wishlist would be one of the hydromagnetic mammoths

I think there's some interpretation to be done on the term 'open', too. I think some are visualising a gaping hole with no thought behind it; I'm confident the reality will be a more artfully designed opening with suitable craggy rock formations around the edges, probably some bordering waterfall features, etc etc. It'll be fine.
This is what I believe it will be as well.

This just got me all giggly on the inside. Cannot wait for this. Go ahead, call it a Water Theme Park because I think it'll deserve it. :cry: (tears of joy)

Basically, ya. Especially considering the expansion plot they'll have in the southwest corner once they're done. I believe the general consensus/wishlist would be one of the hydromagnetic mammoths

That's what I want more than anything.

Been on Crush N Gusher, been on Black Anaconda at Noah's Ark, Splashblaster at Magic Waters, Master Blaster and Dragon's Revenge at Schlitterbahn, River Rush at Dolly's Splash Country, Mile High Flyer at Waterworld, Wildebeest at Splashin' Safari and of course Mammoth which you showed above....and Mammoth was by far the most fun experience I've had on ANY watercoaster. Huge ride, great capacity, and quite a flashy ride too!

This had better be in their expansion plans.

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
That's what I want more than anything.

Been on Crush N Gusher, been on Black Anaconda at Noah's Ark, Splashblaster at Magic Waters, Master Blaster and Dragon's Revenge at Schlitterbahn, River Rush at Dolly's Splash Country, Mile High Flyer at Waterworld, Wildebeest at Splashin' Safari and of course Mammoth which you showed above....and Mammoth was by far the most fun experience I've had on ANY watercoaster. Huge ride, great capacity, and quite a flashy ride too!

This had better be in their expansion plans.
Man, you get arooouuuuund.

It'll look like there's a cove back there, not the behind the Streets of America steel beams and poop (though I know Disney fans will propagate that false info for their own satisfaction.)

It'll look like there's a cove back there, not the behind the Streets of America steel beams and poop (though I know Disney fans will propagate that false info for their own satisfaction.)
I mean, they don't even have a legit argument anyways as Typhoon is only themed from the front. It's slightly themed in the back, but the Volcano doesn't continue.

The Volcano will clearly continue and be 360 theming at the Bay.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Mike S
I'm not just a theme/amusement park junkie...I love waterparks. That's one reason why I'm so into this project. First new waterpark in central Florida in almost nine years! (Hoping it brings everything the Disney waterparks and Aquatica don't!)

Since you've visited so many waterparks and have seen just about every type of water attraction/environment, what specificaly are you hoping VB brings that Disney and Aquatica don't?

Reactions: Mike S
Since you've visited so many waterparks and have seen just about every type of water attraction/environment, what specificaly are you hoping VB brings that Disney and Aquatica don't?
Well for one, the hydromagnetic mammoth, a massive Tornado, a multi-behemoth bowl ride, and something along the lines of Voyage to the Center of the earth from Water World in Denver.

That would make me a very happy person.

Reactions: Teebin and Mike S
I mean, they don't even have a legit argument anyways as Typhoon is only themed from the front. It's slightly themed in the back, but the Volcano doesn't continue.

The Volcano will clearly continue and be 360 theming at the Bay.
Are the backsides of Blizzard beach and Typhoon lagoon basically a building like everest? Or is there legit effort to theme the backs of them.

Are the backsides of Blizzard beach and Typhoon lagoon basically a building like everest? Or is there legit effort to theme the backs of them.
I can't remember Blizzard since it's been about 5 years since i've been there, but I was just at Typhoon 2 months ago and it's sort of like Everest. There's slight theming, but it's incredibly obvious you're up against the backside of them. The lazy river also runs right behind there as well.

Here's an aerial pic. They actually use extreme forced perspective at this park as you'll notice. The Volcano is very small, but up high so it looks big from below. The wooded structure in the center forefront (by the lazy river) is what I was referring to. That's where the wave generator is.
orlando-themeparks-022.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.