Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 406 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tourists: "Omg that's a weird looking Volcano, OMG LOOK AT THAT FREAKING SLIDE LETS GOOO!"
Don't get me wrong it's going to be hours of fun, it's just I would expect this from some random Orlando water park not universal , a place where the Immersion standards are set so high, I'm not saying they didn't do that but I think deep down inside we all hate a volcano with its a** out haha whether u admit it or not , it just reminds me of those gowns you get when you in the hospital , from the front your fully clothed until you make that 180 degree turn lol

Last edited:
^Lmao

And @Hockeyman55 i think you're right to some extent but when people realize they get to float through that volcano they're going to expect something to come out of it. After all, it's a water theme park, right?
Right! So don't forget about the lazy river that goes in the cave in the concept art

I got a chance to work inside for a few days. Trust me, this whole discussion is literally all shruggable once you're inside. There are immersive queues, stunning sightlines, themed interiors, and pieces still being placed. The issue of exposed slides and beams is so trivial to me now, and logistically it makes perfect sense. Thematically it might seem cheap, but there's still lots of scenic work left to be done. Also, the budget is about 1/3rd of that which was given to Pandora, so I'd keep that in mind for perspective.

I got a chance to work inside for a few days. Trust me, this whole discussion is literally all shruggable once you're inside. There are immersive queues, stunning sightlines, themed interiors, and pieces still being placed. The issue of exposed slides and beams is so trivial to me now, and logistically it makes perfect sense. Thematically it might seem cheap, but there's still lots of scenic work left to be done. Also, the budget is about 1/3rd of that which was given to Pandora, so I'd keep that in mind for perspective.

Thank You.

Reactions: Joel
Don't get me wrong it's going to be hours of fun, it's just I would expect this from some random Orlando water park not universal , a place where the Immersion standards are set so high, I'm not saying they didn't do that but I think deep down inside we all hate a volcano with its a** out haha whether u admit it or not , it just reminds me of those gowns you get when you in the hospital , from the front your fully clothed until you make that 180 degree turn lol
You seem to believe that building a blown out volcano was cheaper.

Reactions: Joel
You seem to believe that building a blown out volcano was cheaper.

I think that's what makes their decision so frustrating. It clearly was very expensive having the volcano supported structurally with the backside completely exposed, however I think a lot of us wish they just sealed it instead and used that money more wisely on maybe a show scene for the water coaster or actual rockwork for the manta racers. I'm trying to reserve final thoughts till after it's officially open but of all the wonderful design choices of the park this one is kind of a dud for me.

Last edited:
mthr123234LARGE.jpg

When a 'mountain' built 58 years ago doesn't show any of it's support structure but can't be done today with modern construction technology. I guess it's okay though because UO told me the Waturi people said seeing support structures in half of the volcano are part of the fun!
Actually until the 70s the inside was all exposed steel (and basketball court). Only the outside was finished. The interior was enclosed when the added the abominable snow man

Reactions: JoeCamel
I think that's what makes their decision so frustrating. It clearly was very expensive having the volcano supported structurally with the backside completely exposed, however I think a lot of us wish they just sealed it instead and used that money more wisely on maybe a show scene for the water coaster or actual rockwork for the manta racers.
Logistics maintenance, and environmental.

We've all been unbelievably fortunate to observe the complexity of this build and the incredibly coordinated effort it's taken to construct this Volcano because the back is open. I don't know if this has ever happened - us armchair'ers given the opportunity to watch not only the massive structure being constructed, but also the ride delivery mechanisms- several of them. Heck, just go back to the images posted 6 months ago within this thread and take in the the scope of the cranes and placement vehicles. If it was completely enclosed, how are they going to maintain them since it's in the middle of the Park?

Context is important here, so help me out folks: between Uni and Dis, is there another Park centerpiece or anchor that houses what, one E-ticket, 3 D's and a couple of C's that doesn't have behind-the curtain CM/TM only access for log/maint/enviro...? One that's also going to erupt and is a delivery mechanism itself for the wave pool, etc....? I think we may be disregarding/downplaying how much Uni has put themselves out there on this one and the risk they've assumed since so much of the Park's capacity (from rides, to wave pool, to rivers, to nightime entertainment).

Oh, and add water to all of the above.

This is smack dab in the center of the the Park, the Cinderellas's Castle of VB. But spewing water, lava, and anchoring what, 60% of the Park's ride capacity when you figure in the wave pool, rivers, slides, etc.? I think designing in a little bit of access, along with some airflow and sunlight so we're all safe-

Seems pretty smart to me.....

We will. We will all enjoy it for sure! It's just so sloppy on Universals part. They set the bar really high just to bring it back way down. I mean all the exposed slide structures etc etc. List goes on. Countless water parks all over the world and some in really poor Countries with triple amount of theming this park has with crazy slides and concepts etc. Laziness or lack of resources maybe got the best of them?! Makes me nervous for future projects .....

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
I get the issues with maintenance access, but with so much of the Krakatau Aqua Coaster being enclosed, it seems like it would have been easier to enclose the volcano and provide some type of ventilation. The real shortcoming of the design is how the Punga Racers interact with the coaster - there isn't much room to enclose the volcano, given those slides were there before the majority of the rock work.

Countless water parks all over the world and some in really poor Countries with triple amount of theming this park has with crazy slides and concepts etc

Besides the Disney water parks, the Atlantis Resorts, Siam Park in Tenerife (which benefits from being on a hill/don't know if you can call it a theme) and a couple Middle Eastern Water parks (Wild Wadi, Yas Waterworld), what other Water Parks come even close to having a theme? Volcano Bay will be a world class water park and I don't think Universal has been lazy with this/set a low bar, but to each his own.

Also does anyone have any idea if there's any type of show scene/lights in some of the tunnels of the water coaster?

Reactions: Andysol
We will. We will all enjoy it for sure! It's just so sloppy on Universals part. They set the bar really high just to bring it back way down. I mean all the exposed slide structures etc etc. List goes on. Countless water parks all over the world and some in really poor Countries with triple amount of theming this park has with crazy slides and concepts etc. Laziness or lack of resources maybe got the best of them?! Makes me nervous for future projects .....
Name 10

Reactions: Andysol
Actually until the 70s the inside was all exposed steel (and basketball court). Only the outside was finished. The interior was enclosed when the added the abominable snow man

True but we did answer this same question a few pages back. My point of showing the Matterhorn was that they designed it to be seen from 360 degrees around the park. You don't walk back by Small World and see half of the Matterhorn mountain blown out exposing the supports and roller coaster within.

That's essentially what UO has done here. The volcano looks amazing from the front, breathtaking even, but the backside exposing all the supports... woof. You guys can tell me all you want that it was designed that way but it looks like a half completed job when you look at the front and back of the mountain.

Reactions: Trumen882
Just look at the level of detail. Man Disney really knows how to build a grand entrance. I've never seen such a highly themed area in my life. No one will ever compete with this. I mean the dirty shoe prints all over the base boards really add to the character and the story they're trying to tell. Just look at those temporary generic stanchions. Their imagineers must have flown all over the planet to pick out just the right ones for the theme. Oh and the color of those safety cones are to die for.

Walt_Disney_World_Typhoon_Lagoon_Entrance.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.