Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 428 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A20kjC5.png

Good timing on that video.
I now think the pink arrows are fog (atomized water nozzles), which we haven't seen yet so not positive.
I think the red are the water cannons.
I think the blue arrow (the 'pit') is the water recirculate//drain area? Remember, this area will probably be flooded during normal operation since it's also the feed for the top of the waterfall.

So, those numerous eruption looking vents nearer the base of the volcano... what will those be? Steam vents, lighting, eruption vents or possibly a combo of these? Someone thought they might be planters but I seriously doubt that.

Eruption looks good, but not good enough to warrant advertising it as a show. There's more to this package than what was filmed outside of that 6-second clip. Be patient, all will be revealed soon.

I have heard the same. What is on the video is not the final version and only a small sample. Im excited to see the complete package

Reactions: Quint
A20kjC5.png

Good timing on that video.
I now think the pink arrows are fog (atomized water nozzles), which we haven't seen yet so not positive.
I think the red are the water cannons.
I think the blue arrow (the 'pit') is the water recirculate//drain area? Remember, this area will probably be flooded during normal operation since it's also the feed for the top of the waterfall.

The red nozzles seem to be canon bursts. The video makes it appear the bursts might use natural gas to create a water/fire effect. See what WET did at the Burj al Arab.

The red nozzles seem to be canon bursts. The video makes it appear the bursts might use natural gas to create a water/fire effect. See what WET did at the Burj al Arab.
In the video test, there is no natural gas. It's all water from the water cannons. I'm losing hope for any real fire.
On the plus side, there is a TON of water spray that falls in that video. The surrounding people/areas are going to get SOAKED!!!

Hah- the funny thing is I've been nothing but complimentary so far. I absolutely can't wait to go. When universal made the decision to remove and enlarge Honu's bowl- I thought they were being overly cautious because it was just a little too close for comfort. But in looking at @tidecat video below- that raft was basically half over with a standard 4 person (none of which were overweight) load. It would have gone over the edge.
I have massive respect for the workers and engineers on this project doing things I could never do. And sometimes people lose sight of human beings who are trying their best to create a fantastic product for us, the consumer. I'm extremely appreciative. But how could pro slide- the best in the business- creating a ride for one of, if not the best water park in the world- be that off the mark on their calculations?
It's inexcusable and universal should be pissed and demand replacement of that piece because it's an absolute eyesore for anyone riding that ride. Anyone who doesn't think that's an eyesore needs their vision checked or needs to actually watch the video.

I'm going to go out on a limb and figure the park will go down for a few days in the harshest winter months for maintenence and it gets a more permanent fix or it stays open till the expansion is done and then it gets fixed.

They clearly got the angle of the drop from the first wave wall wrong and the rafts slides toward the outside before it hits the second wave wall going at in more of a 45 degree angle instead of nearly straight on.

Reactions: Andysol
In the video test, there is no natural gas. It's all water from the water cannons. I'm losing hope for any real fire.
On the plus side, there is a TON of water spray that falls in that video. The surrounding people/areas are going to get SOAKED!!!

I dont know how much impact a little fire 200 feet in the air would really provide. The water and color is much more impactful, and realistic- as there aren't bursts of fire shooting out of a volcano in real life. The only "gas" lava has is Oxygen- the rest are just elements (yes, I realize oxygen is an element- im just dumbing it down) :)

Your constant comparison to what Disney hypothetically would've done to make the park better is running tiresome. We aren't talking about Disney, we're talking about Universal.

I mean, considering that projection mapping is the new hot technology right now, I get his point. Besides - people on this site constantly run a narrative that UO and WDW are in direct competition, so the comparisons are warranted in my opinion.

And to @Mad Dog, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of projection mapping playing an important role in the volcano transformation. Universal did a good job with HHN's mapping as well as the Hogwarts Castle shows, so I wouldn't expect anything less here.

As I said previously, the show component is a lot more than that 6-second test. You'll be impressed :)

Your constant comparison to what Disney hypothetically would've done to make the park better is running tiresome. We aren't talking about Disney, we're talking about Universal.

Quote all my "constant" comparisons. Disney is projection mapping king, a universally shared view (pun intended), so I will be comparing it to them and imagining how it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.