Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much gets posted in here but I consider these construction updates so here are few of bioreconstruct's recent posts on, just to note he has posted quite a few over the last 5 days but I thought I would only post the latest:

For anyone that missed it there are now digital ride time displays:

A bit more progress on the kiosk:

Not su much construction updates here but shows work still continues at night, as expected with the current state of the park:

um, OK...this is the only one I got of construction happening...guess this is for here.

34832952824_149944653c_c.jpg

Universals Expectations of General Contractors Working on Volcano Bay

I was wondering if anyone knows the expectations Universal has of the General Contractors /subs who are awarded contracts for construction work in the park? My son was hired to work on the Cabana's construction and I was shocked to learn that:

Drugs were used on-site by those doing the actual construction.

Minors worked up to 20 hours straight.

My son was taken to a store to buy work boots, but not steel toed, and was instructed that if anyone asked, to tell them they were steel toed.

The laborers never received their last two weeks of pay - some totaling 140 hours over a fourteen day period.

It is hard for me to imagine that Universal would hire a General Contractor that so poorly supervised what was actually happening on the job site.

I was wondering if anyone knows the expectations Universal has of the General Contractors /subs who are awarded contracts for construction work in the park? My son was hired to work on the Cabana's construction and I was shocked to learn that:

My son was taken to a store to buy work boots, but not steel toed, and was instructed that if anyone asked, to tell them they were steel toed.

The laborers never received their last two weeks of pay - some totaling 140 hours over a fourteen day period.

It is hard for me to imagine that Universal would hire a General Contractor that so poorly supervised what was actually happening on the job site.
That's just awful and nobody should ever be put under conditions like that. It's disgusting.

According to an article from the OBJ, the main contractor was Austin Commercial LP.
City documents also show the value cost of construction for that work is estimated at $650,000, and the contractor is Austin Commercial LP.

And has he made a complaint to the labor commission and what is the status of such complaint?

That's just awful and nobody should ever be put under conditions like that. It's disgusting.

According to an article from the OBJ, the main contractor was Austin Commercial LP.
What do you think was done for 650K?

Last edited by a moderator:

Those are extremely heavy accusations to throw around based on an independent second-hand story. Has he made any complaint or filed any grievance? OSHA doesn't play with situations like this.

Those are extremely heavy accusations to throw around based on an independent second-hand story. Has he made any complaint or filed any grievance? OSHA doesn't play with situations like this.
And minors working on the site? I doubt any contractor is hiring minors when there are so many other looking for work

Last edited:

Actually, in a more recent OBJ article dated May 24, 2017, the same author wrote the following:

Universal Orlando Resort is putting a bow on the construction of Volcano Bay as the new water park nears its May 25 grand opening.

One of the latest work permits filed with Orange County is for cabana "general construction of structure, concrete, shell, roofing, rough carpentry and finishes" for Universal's Project 533 — also known as Volcano Bay. The permit valued the work at $2.15 million with Winter Park-based The Wilsten Group as the contractor.

And has he made a complaint to the labor commission and what is the status of such complaint?

What do you think was done for 650K?

Not yet. In all fairness, we have yet to discuss our concerns with the General Contractor. My intent in posting was to ask if anyone knew what expectations Universal has regarding the subs that are hired to work on their projects. On the advice of a friend who does a lot of construction work for the attractions in Orlando, I will inform the GC and the sub of what took place and asking for the wages to be paid prior to submitting a complaint to the DPPR and filing a mechanics claim to place a lien on the project.

And as stated in a reply to another post, the permit for the project valued 2.16 million for the construction of the cabanas.

There are about 6-7 young men who were not paid that corroborate the points listed above. My son, who is 19 and took the job after his freshman year in college to try to earn money for a car. His last two weeks that went unpaid totaled 140 hours. He was told they had to meet a deadline and asked him to recruit his friends to help. One of those who he recruited was 17. I learned about this just a few days ago and have been trying to figure out the best steps to take.

The silence is deafening

I apologize for not replying last night. Perhaps I should not have even posted here. I am unfamiliar with the construction industry and rarely (almost never) post in forums. I came across this one as I was trying to find out about Universal's requirements/expectations for their GC's. I have since talked to a friend who has given me some next steps to take that I mentioned in a reply to another post.

I can't speak to the rest of your claims, but I'd be shocked if you found any construction site in this country where drugs aren't being used, especially on a project when people are working overnight for weeks on end.

So after 3 years, he now realized these are issues? Sorry, doesn't pass sniff test for me. If I was owed money - especially a good amount - I'm not waiting 3.5 years to get paid.

I can't speak to the rest of your claims, but I'd be shocked if you found any construction site in this country where drugs aren't being used, especially on a project when people are working overnight for weeks on end.

I don't doubt that at all... although I wouldn't think that the prevalence of drug use on construction sites would make Universal any less concerned that it was happening during the construction of their waterpark. I think few visitors to a park would be excited to learn that the ladder they were climbing or the elevated platform they were standing on was constructed by someone smoking crack. I am not suggesting that Universal does not thoroughly test all structures to meet safety guidelines, but the optics of it are disconcerting.

So after 3 years, he now realized these are issues? Sorry, doesn't pass sniff test for me. If I was owed money - especially a good amount - I'm not waiting 3.5 years to get paid.

I'm sorry - did I somewhere give the impression this took place 3 years ago? This was within the past three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.