Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 145 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If that’s all you wanted to do- VB certainly wouldn’t be a good choice. You could easily do that at one of the “secondary” pools at VB- but then what’d be the point.

The alternative is go the first couple hours and commando it- then grab lunch early- then go hang by a secondary pool and you’ll have ridden rides, eaten without a wait, and then gotten to relax- all while not having to use your Tapu Tapu at all. Still completely relaxing.

There are ways to make it a relaxing experience- but it certainly isn’t what Universal, its advertising or the guest had expected. A “different water park experience” is certainly true- but not in the good way ;)

Again- my experience- the Friday before Irma- is one that likely no one will ever replicate. It was a one time ever event. The only cabana, while every ride was open and all ride now. I never checked into a time.
But that allowed me to take in the park in a different light. The rock work is a given, as are the exposed slides and the views of I4. But what I got to see that many others likely didn’t was- The waterfalls everywhere are unprecedented in a water park. The music is great. The woodwork is also unprecedented.

I was telling my wife this morning that I couldn’t believe I did all three drop slides back to back to back. No wait. So I climbed those stairs three times within ~7 mins total time. That last climb my heart was pumping and I had to go hands to knees when I was a couple flights from the top. It was in that moment that I wished there were a few more people in the park. I’m ruined, as I’ll never wish for that ever again :D

The music...I got tired of Hawaii Five O after a couple of visits ;-)

My family does not do commando. We went a couple of times in June and did have on site early access. But I did a lot of relaxing. I explained to my daughter that I climb the tower once and then need a break. They had already opened the entrance to the two non straight drops, so she did one while I did the other...later in the day we both did the straight down one.

But I did go there to relax. I have a pass, I had really hoped the park would keep night hours as I would love half day park AM half day VB PM. But, we could spend hours in the one river...but again, I paid one price for the year, we did not use it on our HHN trip, but I do hope to get back before my renewal.

I would imagine most people were either evacuating or getting prepared for the storm. Maybe i'll plan a trip around hurricane season and hope a giant dangerous storm comes.
Man... best advice ever. If I had a crystal ball- selfishness aside- I’d only go to Orlando before and during a devestating storm. It was my favorite trip in years. :D

They are 125 feet up so about 12 stories. he climbed 36 stories! Please get me a chair I am bushed reading that.
Sounds about right. Didn’t some group used to run up the Twin towers staircases there for a while? Or was that another building.
Either way it sucked. Haha

So we are back. Volcano bay was incredible. We splurged and got a cabana. We also stayed at sapphire so we got early park admission. Before 10am we got done OHNO, Krakatau twice, tiawana tubes, Honu And ponga racers. Not to mention the fearless river.

By time we relaxed a bit in the cabana the main crowd came in and waits rose a bit. We went on a Wednesday during the school/work week.

I’ll say first off the cabana was great. We got to tap in from our “room” with a menu of rides to choose from. We would tap into a ride then walk over to a “ride now”. The longest wait we had was the body plunge which is a hell of a walk up stairs especially for his 250 pound dude. But man it was worth it. So much fun/fear - that’s what I paid for.

All in all we did 9 nights at universal overall. A Park here or there every day. Did everything we wanted. And unanimously me, my wife and my 9 year old son said volcano bay was the best day of the trip. Very close to 2nd place HHN for my wife and I. We had a blast.

And man the volcano in person is insane. The park looks CGI even in person. The pictures do NO JUSTICE to the beauty of the park. Coming from someone who’s been to blizzard beach twice and rapids in west palm / carowinds in the Carolinas. VB was incredible. What a park.

So we are back. Volcano bay was incredible. We splurged and got a cabana. We also stayed at sapphire so we got early park admission. Before 10am we got done OHNO, Krakatau twice, tiawana tubes, Honu And ponga racers. Not to mention the fearless river.

By time we relaxed a bit in the cabana the main crowd came in and waits rose a bit. We went on a Wednesday during the school/work week.

I’ll say first off the cabana was great. We got to tap in from our “room” with a menu of rides to choose from. We would tap into a ride then walk over to a “ride now”. The longest wait we had was the body plunge which is a hell of a walk up stairs especially for his 250 pound dude. But man it was worth it. So much fun/fear - that’s what I paid for.

All in all we did 9 nights at universal overall. A Park here or there every day. Did everything we wanted. And unanimously me, my wife and my 9 year old son said volcano bay was the best day of the trip. Very close to 2nd place HHN for my wife and I. We had a blast.

And man the volcano in person is insane. The park looks CGI even in person. The pictures do NO JUSTICE to the beauty of the park. Coming from someone who’s been to blizzard beach twice and rapids in west palm / carowinds in the Carolinas. VB was incredible. What a park.
I'm sorry you enjoyed yourself. Also, this thread is reserved for Tapu Tapu complaints, thanks

Oh and for the record Honu is INSANE. We absolutely lost our minds on that slide. I went backwards twice and it changed my life as far as fear on rides. I couldn’t see the drop or the slide and the scream/laugh I did I am sure tickled the people in line watching overhead on the stairs. What a blast!

Oh and for the record Honu is INSANE. We absolutely lost our minds on that slide. I went backwards twice and it changed my life as far as fear on rides. I couldn’t see the drop or the slide and the scream/laugh I did I am sure tickled the people in line watching overhead on the stairs. What a blast!
I agree with everything you said. So glad you enjoyed it @Porkchop
It was unanimously our favorite day too and we did a couple disney days as well (and my wife vastly prefers Disney).
And I agree with the beauty. Easily the best to me. I certainly think when it’s packed with people, you can’t appreciate it. That’s the only reason I can envision other people thinking other water parks have a better ambiance.

As for Honu- that’s the only thing I disagree with- but strictly related to weight. Me (160 lbs) and my 8 year old (maybe 55 lbs) were the only ones on our raft When we went with no crowds (Irma). So it wasn’t thrilling at all because we didn’t have the weight to make the speed.
For those who haven’t been to the park: Honu, and really all raft rides, I’d avoid going just two people if you could help it. The more people, the more speed, the more fun.

I agree with everything you said. So glad you enjoyed it @Porkchop
It was unanimously our favorite day too and we did a couple disney days as well (and my wife vastly prefers Disney).
And I agree with the beauty. Easily the best to me. I certainly think when it’s packed with people, you can’t appreciate it. That’s the only reason I can envision other people thinking other water parks have a better ambiance.

As for Honu- that’s the only thing I disagree with- but strictly related to weight. Me (160 lbs) and my 8 year old (maybe 55 lbs) were the only ones on our raft When we went with no crowds (Irma). So it wasn’t thrilling at all because we didn’t have the weight to make the speed.
For those who haven’t been to the park: Honu, and really all raft rides, I’d avoid going just two people if you could help it. The more people, the more speed, the more fun.
Yeah we got UP THERE on the first wall, it was terrifying but fun haha

Reactions: Coasted
I'm finally going there in 2 weeks. You guys are getting my hyped!

So I'm staying at Cabana Bay. Does that mean I get to go to the park early? I keep hearing about some people going to the park early.
Yes, from CBBR you not only get in 1 hour (maybe more get there early!) early but you have your own entrance from the south end of the south pool.