Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 171 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also, as far as the ticket prices go:

They were $67 flat when the park opened. It looks like they are now demand-priced for Florida Res, ranging between $70-80; and a flat $80 for non-residents.

I don't know specifics. I'd guess a more interactive interface with a slimmer design. The idea of TapuTapu really isn't the problem itself.
You know- more interactivity would be perfect. The ability to not tap at the specific entrance would do wonders. Similar to having a cabana that lets you pick whichever slide you want from one location.

They have some major obstacles to overcome though-
1) The names of the slides. They would need to have descriptors to help decide - and the watch is not really suitable for that.
2) If the descriptors are not on the watch- they would need multiple Tapu points like in the cabana where you can signup for anything. And that would be *brutal*. The amount of confused people - aka: ESL people or theme park newbs - just standing in front of them, would be a nightmare.

My ideal thought would be this:
Planning your day includes advance.
Meaning you could select slides “x, y, z” ahead of time (similar to FP+, but without a time or ride limit)- and it would automatically “tap” you in.

Say I want to ride krakatau, Honu, Punga racers and main drop slide (drawing blank on name). I set up that as my ideal itinerary, and each time I’m off the ride it will automatically put me in queue for the next ride on my list- and tell me what my wait is for it, without tapping.
It would also bypass a slide and move onto next if it was down- then Tap me back into it after I’m done with the next slide.
This can be done from a computer or smartphone before your visit or a kiosk inside the park.
Also would be nice to set “max time” customization. If I never want to wait more than 30 mins, it will bypass any slide in my queue with a 30 min wait.

This would certainly ease congestion at the Tapu points as well.

Wondering exactly what they're 'augmenting'...and FIRST expansion? So they have more than one planned?

No- there is only room for one expansion. Nowhere else to go. First = original

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashhanbre
Well...

Yup. Which goes back to the larger point I was trying to make. The board can complain all they want. Yelp can have 2 to 2.5 stars and the theme park community eat up the bad press and mock it, but the people still went and Universal came out ahead and surpassed even their expectations. Raising the price to $80 may be a number to ridicule, but they obviously have yet to really strike out.

Internally, they were aware of the missteps of the Bay and have handled it appropriately. Externally, expansions are coming, Tapu is getting refined.
I call it growing pains...I think people forget that Universal tried a lot of new stuff with this park...and they had never done a water park before

Tapu Tapu screens wifi enabled with color screens that show NBCUniversal shows would be the smartest choice...free advertising as well.
This is actually really interesting, not sure if you are joking, but I wouldn't mind seeing what this looked like

Reactions: Coasted
I call it growing pains...I think people forget that Universal tried a lot of new stuff with this park...and they had never done a water park before

This is actually really interesting, not sure if you are joking, but I wouldn't mind seeing what this looked like

Essentially an apple watch but waterproof, kidproof, and with mainly wifi function, games, and streaming.

488aa07d049342e564d4c0acded635d9_large.jpg

Reactions: shiekra38
... We are seeing a ridiculously large gap between local and destination parks on pricing.

Adventure Island slides looked good on TimTracker (empty as day before public entered). Anyone know how their wait times compare to VB, BB/TL?

(No disrespect to VB. We 100% loved VB with EPA / short queue mornings 12Feb few days. We would not go otherwise!)

Adventure Island slides looked good on TimTracker (empty as day before public entered). Anyone know how their wait times compare to VB, BB/TL?

(No disrespect to VB. We 100% loved VB with EPA / short queue mornings 12Feb few days. We would not go otherwise!)
During the summer the waits can be really long, but not many people go to the park before and after summer. Also it isn't open all year round, and some of the body slides are not that great and very old so they hurt a lot.

During the summer the waits can be really long, but not many people go to the park before and after summer. Also it isn't open all year round, and some of the body slides are not that great and very old so they hurt a lot.

Thank you! Helpful to know.

It's a fun park with some good slides. Definitely not the long waits that Volcano Bay sees.

The newer slides can get long waits though.

I'm more saddened that any Waterpark could justify such a price... They're approaching full theme park territory with fully fleshed out and themed attractions/rides with that price, without the fully fleshed out and themed product... I still remember when Disneyland hit $100 a day and peoples jaws were on the floor... now a waterpark is only $20 away from that figure... :ack:

Yeah, they'll have to make up the difference somehow in the price tag as it's definitely not in the slides. They're pretty basic as far water park rides go. $80 starts to recall a different experience and higher expectations.

My guess is that they do well enough with the three park pass that they must sell as a package or something and they have so many more rooms coming on-line, I imagine they want to discourage one day visitors. I think it also helps push pass holders to the three park pass...I think the FL RES renewal is around $80 (preferred pass) more than the 2 park pass...so it sounds like one visit to break even so to say.

Personally, I still think they could do well selling an after four entry (or even an after 4PM pass for locals)....I still think most tourist hit the park by 11 AM and are done by 3 or 4PM, not sure if the night show that never showed would brinks folks back in the PM, but I do think folks would hit the park after 4 for a cheaper rate to maybe eat dinner, see the place at night..drink boat drinks or something.

We'll be back for two weeks end of May/early June; our AP renewal was up in December and I was thinking of downgrading to 2-park passes from our 3-park. Turns out you can't! Seems I am locked in to 3-park APs unless I buy new.

:topic: I like VB a lot, but I can skip it. How many people like me are in their crowd projections?

We'll be back for two weeks end of May/early June; our AP renewal was up in December and I was thinking of downgrading to 2-park passes from our 3-park. Turns out you can't! Seems I am locked in to 3-park APs unless I buy new.

:topic: I like VB a lot, but I can skip it. How many people like me are in their crowd projections?

I'll probably downgrade my 3-park AP when it comes for renewal time too. Not sure if it'd be a big deal considering the renewal discount is like... non-existent nowadays?

I'll probably downgrade my 3-park AP when it comes for renewal time too. Not sure if it'd be a big deal considering the renewal discount is like... non-existent nowadays?
wait did that just change? It was pretty significant when I renewed in September 2017. I would prob rather get the Disney water park pass to combo with this next time in any case.

I don’t get that, it really sucks if you can’t downgrade! Heck, I was thinking about keeping just one as premier and having the rest of the family go to the Power Level...I never got the impression that you are locked into any type pass.

And yes, we originally thought we would just do one year with three parks...we just never get to a water park, but VB is convenient when we stay on site, so I could see us using it, but yes, it is getting expensive to enjoy UoR.

Pretty sure it is 20% off to renew verse starting new.

wait did that just change? It was pretty significant when I renewed in September 2017. I would prob rather get the Disney water park pass to combo with this next time in any case.

I thought they give a 20% discount on renewals. Maybe there are differences between flex pay and pay in full? I really do not know...I know a few years back, we had a great renewal rate that seemed trapped in time and then went away, but I really think they offered us 20% off current prices.

I got a nice discount when renewing my 2 park power pass in the fall. But the site wouldn't let me upgrade to a 3 park pass. So I would guess you couldn't downgrade either. The discount was the main reason I didn't move to a 3 park pass at that time. If I would have done a new 3 park pass the price differential was pretty wide, so I stayed 2 park power pass.....Note: I do pay in full

I got a nice discount when renewing my 2 park power pass in the fall. But the site wouldn't let me upgrade to a 3 park pass. So I would guess you couldn't downgrade either. The discount was the main reason I didn't move to a 3 park pass at that time. If I would have done a new 3 park pass the price differential was pretty wide, so I stayed 2 park power pass.....Note: I do pay in full

The first year of VB (last year), I know I had to upgrade to add VB after I renewed, so going to a three park might need to renew the 2 park and then add the third....but I would think/hope one could drop to two park and still get the renewal discount.

Well, if they do not give a discount if you downgrade, I I,Gainesville when the time comes, we would just let the passes lapse, then get what we want we the time comes, there are certainly months we do not visit...heck, I sometimes wonder if we should just step down to just doing an HHN trip one year or to skip HHN and just carry an AP...doing both is too much anymore.