Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

Do we know if people were banging the backs of their heads as they entered the pool, that they were plunging down to abruptly. That seems the only explanation I can come up with for the extenders.

About 5 min for the Lazy, about 3.5 for the Fearless River.

What they said above is my best guess. :lol:

Here's what they look like from our vlog (at 3:39)

Thanks Brian. . I thought they'd be longer since they appear much longer than the CBBR lazy river and that easily takes 5 minutes or so to do a revolution. I guess the current, even on the slower one, must be faster than CBBR.

Thanks Brian. . I thought they'd be longer since they appear much longer than the CBBR lazy river and that easily takes 5 minutes or so to do a revolution. I guess the current, even on the slower one, must be faster than CBBR.

They seem relatively short. I was hoping when it was built they’d have some Atlantis-like lazy rivers that conveyed into a slide in portions if you wanted.

I don’t believe the expansion area is big enough to warrant a stand-alone river, which is why I was inquiring about expanding the fearless river. If it adds 1 min 45 secs to it, it would effectively increase the capacity of the fearless river 50%.

I’m not sure what they’ll add to the expansion to help with “anytime” capacity or to make Tapu Tapu more efficient. I don’t have much faith in the brass over there to make well executed logistical decisions anymore :/
My fear- and guess- is that they add another giant tower or two- decently themed and extremely fun slides and 2nd coaster- while doing nothing for Tapu Tapu efficiency while adding capacity (yay) but also corresponding attendance (doh).

Or they could just add another rapids ride going all the way around the expansion pad like the ones at Schlitterbahn. Now those things are super fun

Two things, there certainty seems to be a place as you exit the volcano for a wave generator for wave generation along with the higher channel walls, it's just under utilized in the way that shlitterBahn and others does theirs. Maybe because they didn't continue the higher walls all the way around. I mean they are higer than normal but they do shorten. If they did a rapid's river like shlitterbahn, that would be great but those 5hings are rather long. Those two things make ShlitterBahn, Shlitterbahn. There's nothing else that special.

Do we know if people were banging the backs of their heads as they entered the pool, that they were plunging down to abruptly. That seems the only explanation I can come up with for the extenders.
Most of these that I have seen have the long zero entry flat ending. Volcano Bay went with the shallow splash pool. I'm thinking it was the force of entry of the splash pool that's the culprit. The extenders may level out the force of entry kind like skipping rocks across instead of a sudden wall like stop. The height of these set them apart but to me, the short ones are just as fun as it's the capsuLe drop that's the big draw. I can say I had as much fun on the cheapee, off the shelf one at Wild River Country in North Little Rock as I did on these minus the long stair climb up the volcano.
4_AR_Wild_River_Country-1-848x477.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if Maku Puihi bites the dust (or moved) when it's time to connect the expansion to the existing park. Doesn't seem logical to have the expansion feel segregated from the rest of the park.

I'm wondering if Maku Puihi bites the dust (or moved) when it's time to connect the expansion to the existing park. Doesn't seem logical to have the expansion feel segregated from the rest of the park.
That would show a very serious lack of foresight on Uni’s part. I can’t help but think that they have a very specific plan in place regarding the expansion, including connecting to the existing park areas.

That would show a very serious lack of foresight on Uni’s part. I can’t help but think that they have a very specific plan in place regarding the expansion, including connecting to the existing park areas.

While I agree, I think Universal gets a pass due to the area being landlocked and the need for capacity when VB opened. Again though, just spitballing. The only entrance if they decided to go with keeping Maku would be that lone bridge over the Fearless River.

That's why I feel like the expansion needs another route, or at least a wider throughway.

While I agree, I think Universal gets a pass due to the area being landlocked and the need for capacity when VB opened. Again though, just spitballing. The only entrance if they decided to go with keeping Maku would be that lone bridge over the Fearless River.

That's why I feel like the expansion needs another route, or at least a wider throughway.
In looking at one of bioreconstruct’s recent aerial shots, it looks like there might also be a path that runs behind Taniwha Tubes? I haven’t been to the park yet so I’m not sure if that’s an actual guest path or something else but it looks like it might be useable. Either way, you would be limited to those two paths, neither of which would seem to allow a lot of throughput. That being said, the section of the park that borders the expansion plot looks like it would be pretty easy to open up with just the removal of some landscaping and perhaps the relocation of the two cabanas nearest the yellow slide (I’m bad with the names).

In looking at one of bioreconstruct’s recent aerial shots, it looks like there might also be a path that runs behind Taniwha Tubes? I haven’t been to the park yet so I’m not sure if that’s an actual guest path or something else but it looks like it might be useable. Either way, you would be limited to those two paths, neither of which would seem to allow a lot of throughput. That being said, the section of the park that borders the expansion plot looks like it would be pretty easy to open up with just the removal of some landscaping and perhaps the relocation of the two cabanas nearest the yellow slide (I’m bad with the names).

Here's a zoomed in look at the area that connects the existing plot to the expansion.

VB.jpg

Right in the middle is the yellow (Maku Puihi). To the direct right of the slide is backstage. The path behind the Tubes I believe are backstage areas. Options are extremely limited.

That bridge was designed for expansion. I think it's sufficient for guest flow.

That's not the point, though. If the expansion is just tacked on, it'll feel like it is. The rest of the park has this nice open flow. Hence, "feel segregated".

In fact, some complaints about Punga Racers has been that it feels out of the way to get to, and it's just a small "inconvenience". Imagine that situation on a bigger scale.

That's not the point, though. If the expansion is just tacked on, it'll feel like it is. The rest of the park has this nice open flow. Hence, "feel segregated".

In fact, some complaints about Punga Racers has been that it feels out of the way to get to, and it's just a small "inconvenience". Imagine that situation on a bigger scale.

It depends what they build though. If they build one high-capacity mammoth for example, the bridge is enough. But, if they decide to build multiple slides then yes it can be an issue.