Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Would they rather stand on a crowded staircase for an hour? Water parks are made for relaxing just as much as they're made for riding. It'll take time, but they'll get there.
According to some reports, many were waiting in 45 min lines even after waiting for 300 minutes to have the privledge to do so. This is obviously an opening week ops issue but still... Universal has geared the park toward rides, not relaxation. When the average guest is lucky to ride 2 rides in an entire day, something is wrong.
First off, chronology is important in discussions. Your "systemic flaw" post came after my post you quoted.

But on to your argument. Accesso, the company handling the virtual queue system, is arguably the industry's premier "Queuing Theory and Technology Company". They understand that the guy who would pass on jumping in a 45 min. line where he would spend 45 mins. standing on stairs would likely "Tap" to join a 120 min. virtual queue. That's the appeal of "virtual queues", not standing on stairs for 45 mins over and over all day.

And, in truth, the "queuing system" seems to be working just fine. People just aren't liking the answer they are getting. What seems to be the main problem isn't the queuing system as much as through put on the attractions. You want your most experienced ride ops on near capacity days. Instead they have poor TMs that are flailing miserably because, well, everything. Untrained, inexperienced, tech issues, down times, too much of everything, not enough of anything. Accesso knows the theoretical and estimated real world HRC of each of the attractions. If the ride ops can get close to the model numbers, the system will be fine.

I do wonder if they regret pushing the mammoth to phase 1.5?
Actually, my initial argument was posted before your's, but whatever...

I find it's probably all of the above as well. But, Universal needs to recognize that they need to cut capacity until they can provide an adequate guest experience. Otherwise there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

Flooding the park with guests, staffed by inexperienced TMs, combined with a queue system that isn't intended for excessive use, is an unimaginable failure on Uni's part.

Last edited:
I think Tapu Tapu, and whole park Virtual Queue in general, is going to take a while to become accepted by the general population. It isn't like FP+ where the virtual queue is in addition to the stand-by lines. It isn't like Fallon where it is the sole ride with virtual queue, so there is countless other attractions to experience while 'in line' (not to mention the fact that it is in a normal theme park where most of the attractions have relatively high capacities). Tapu Tapu forces every visitor to change their mindset when entering the park, and honestly UOR doesn't do a good job at educating these guests. They fail to realize that the time they spend in the lazy river, in the action river, and eating breakfast/lunch/dinner now occurs WHILE they are within a virtual queue for whatever attraction they plan to ride next. The line you're waiting in isn't really 2 whole hours of waiting. It's an hour of eating and a half our each in the wave pool and exploring. It seems long because the wait time you're given seems ridiculous because it is much longer than what they are used to on even busy days at a normal theme park. BUT in a normal theme park you aren't 'in line' while walking and eating. It's weird but modern, and it will work in the long-run.

UOR seemed to realize that the wave pool, 2 rivers, and restaurants wouldn't be enough to distract guests in between rides, so they included live entertainment, Taptu Snap photo kiosks, and Taptu Play interactive areas. It does seem a large portion of the interactive features are not working at the moment though, which means less things to distract guests, which leads to more bored guests between attractions and negative feedback.

Then again, once the novelty of Tapu Tapu and VB wheres off, the waits are going to drop, and everything is going to run much more smoothly with room for error in ops. This park is a big experiment, and I hope it succeeds.

What causes the slides to break down? I get why the aqua coaster could have down time due to the technology involved but the general slides I don't get, especially the Punga Racers which seem to be down a lot. Every time I see photos that says a slide is 'down' the water is still flowing. What is the problem?

Reactions: BrenRays and MattA
What causes the slides to break down? I get why the aqua coaster could have down time due to the technology involved but the general slides I don't get, especially the Punga Racers which seem to be down a lot. Every time I see photos that says a slide is 'down' the water is still flowing. What is the problem?
My guess is the lights at the top to say when to go or the conveyor belt.

The thing is in setting expectations on how tapu works, well, crazy me, I thought they had a captive audience sitting on a bus for a ride to the park from the parking lot...I mean, marketing couldn't come up with a bus loop to explain how it all works?

My guess is the lights at the top to say when to go or the conveyor belt.
I've heard the conveyor belt has been the issue from friends who asked the frontline TMs.

The thing is in setting expectations on how tapu works, well, crazy me, I thought they had a captive audience sitting on a bus for a ride to the park from the parking lot...I mean, marketing couldn't come up with a bus loop to explain how it all works?
They did make a video, but IMO it doesn't do a very good job at what it tries to do. I don't think the bus ride is long enough to explain it in a fun video.

double post - how does +quote work

Last edited by a moderator:

The post-virtual wait times are certainly inconsistent. Sometimes they average 10-15 minutes. Sometimes we get pics like this. I imagine these^ are the guests doing the most complaining and I don't blame them.

Which strongly suggests the estimates if ride capacity are overblown at best, possibly far off from reality.

I visited Volcano Bay today and I had a blast! Honestly, if this is what the park feels like at capacity, it's really not THAT bad. Yes, just like regular theme parks, the early bird gets the worm so plan to be there at opening to maximize your day. And as said earlier, they do overestimate the wait times which is important because it gives them room for any unforeseen issues. The only wait I had that actually seemed higher than the original states 170 minute wait time was Ika Moana, but luckily I had that concurrent with Krakatau so it didn't feel like I was just waiting for that.

And for those that don't know Krakatau is essentially what we call a "disconnected FastPass," the waits could seem even worse. Most slides having a wait over 300 minutes IS unbelievably excessive whether you're lounging during it or not. Forbidden Journeys these are not. And it doesn't seem that Universal purpose-built this park for TapuTapu. The walkways seem about normal size even though there's going to be a lot more people in them, the lazy rivers aren't bigger or any more of a draw, etc.

Due to the issues, we can't call it a game-changer just yet. But when it works as well as it should, it really could be. I'm just glad to see Universal IN the game right now.

One of the things I noticed, and this was from Bio; is that the park has throughout sprinklers that are specifically made for the purpose of keeping the concrete more or less cooler than it is in the heat.

Sorry, but you're like the third or fourth person I've seen herald this--you do know Blizzard and Aquatica were built with the same sprinklers a decade plus ago?

Reactions: jtsalien and WAJAS
Having been to all of the main Orlando waterparks (excluding VB) I can say I've noticed sprayers on select areas of those parks. From what I've been reading it sounds like much more of the park is covered with water sprayers to keep walkways cool.

So when it comes to planning ahead...I mean I only read over here, but sometimes folks talk of conversations from Magic and I recall talks of surveys where they asked about blocking passholders from Pandora for the first month.

Is part of the issue here how UNI handled passholders for VB? From a guest spend, they started upgrading to three park, what, about a month ago?

So they started getting revenue from APHers, they started selling cabanas and reserved seating and Express. What are GP guest paying for VB parking?

I just think UNI could have waited longer on APs and at least limited them until after 2 to allow the paying public to get a head start everyday?

So when it comes to planning ahead...I mean I only read over here, but sometimes folks talk of conversations from Magic and I recall talks of surveys where they asked about blocking passholders from Pandora for the first month.

Is part of the issue here how UNI handled passholders for VB? From a guest spend, they started upgrading to three park, what, about a month ago?

So they started getting revenue from APHers, they started selling cabanas and reserved seating and Express. What are GP guest paying for VB parking?

I just think UNI could have waited longer on APs and at least limited them until after 2 to allow the paying public to get a head start everyday?
Passholders would've thrown a fit. As someone who went to the opening I won't lie, I would probably be calling guest services if that happened. Universal is currently on a pro AP campaign, they're trying to get more AP's. That would drive them away.

Pulling into Universal Drive headed towards the parks from I4, today there was a big orange electronic sign (like you see for highway construction) that said "VOLCANO BAY AT CAPACITY".

Passholders would've thrown a fit. As someone who went to the opening I won't lie, I would probably be calling guest services if that happened. Universal is currently on a pro AP campaign, they're trying to get more AP's. That would drive them away.

I'm a passholder myself and I love how UNI treats its passholders! But I am not a 'local' I can't buy a pass yet as that had to be done at one of the other gates (up till a couple of days ago) for the only option I really have is to upgrade to a three park pass.

They seemed to upset (from a few comments I have seen here) the premier passholders in that they have no option but to pay $50 for July access.

I just think they could have sold an 'after two FL res annual AP...when they saw they would not have time for softs, they could explain to passholders that they had hoped to open VB to just them before it officially opened, but delays could have pushed that plan back until the end of summer, in the mean time, passholders could stop by after 2..

That is where I am trying to come from...but since I am a fl res, but not a local, I have different wants from VB...I just think if they had passholders after two, they could offer deals/packages to on site guest...sort of sell the park twice in the same day...sell to the GP that buys a one day or a three park pass...most of them will be done at 4...but you have the locals that show up at two (when I would come as an AP visiting Orlando) and try to sell a deal to other hotel guest...

Is just a thought while arm chairing the situation that folks to seem to view this park as being in today.