Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sorry if this has been discussed I haven't been through every page recently on this thread it's a bit exhausting...

Can anyone who's been there comment on the wave pool as far as the types of waves it produces? Is there a huge wave like typhoon lagoon? Or a bunch of smaller waves, or both?

Reactions: Dan B
Sorry if this has been discussed I haven't been through every page recently on this thread it's a bit exhausting...

Can anyone who's been there comment on the wave pool as far as the types of waves it produces? Is there a huge wave like typhoon lagoon? Or a bunch of smaller waves, or both?

There are a few variations of waves in the pool. I guess this pool has multiple wave sources so it can cross wave patterns creating pretty interesting pointy waves as well as normal rolling waves. The biggest wave seems smaller than the largest waves in the wet and wild wave pool and the pool isn't as deep. I think I noticed 3 different waves types but there could be more. There is a bell on the left of the waterfall that has a rotating board atop of it. The painted image shows the wave type. The bell rings to let you know the wave is going to change and then a little music plays.

What are the life guard actions like st this park?

When I had stayed at SF, back last HHN, I couldn't handle watching the life guards at the pool. I hadn't recalled noticing this routine when I had stayed at other on site locations prior, but the life guards had this routine where their head was always moving...scanning their area constantly...it was given me a headache...I have no clue how those folks do it! I would get dizzy. I can't imagine what their neck feels like at the end of a shift!

Reactions: Coasted

When I had stayed at SF, back last HHN, I couldn't handle watching the life guards at the pool. I hadn't recalled noticing this routine when I had stayed at other on site locations prior, but the life guards had this routine where their head was always moving...scanning their area constantly...it was given me a headache...I have no clue how those folks do it! I would get dizzy. I can't imagine what their neck feels like at the end of a shift!

I've noticed that at water parks before. I know it's a routine they have to follow, but it's almost ridiculous how exaggerated the motions are.

Reactions: Frank Drackman

Yep, that is the new gold standard. It keeps them looking at new places (they say). I could not do that job as it is now

Reactions: Mad Dog

They seem to have just started that since the year Sapphire opened. They didn't do that before. They're doing it at the other resorts also now. Drives me crazy to watch also, but it looks like a safety & awareness routine. They're looking down, across & sideways constantly, in a predetermined set. No loafing for Universal life guards anymore. Looks like a taught system. Also looks like it makes for a more professional, safety conscious lifeguard.:thumbsup: Though they may experience neck problems later in life. :)

Reactions: Andysol
Don't get me wrong, this park is beautiful, but lots of stuff seems very quickly, and sloppily done. For example, look at OI's second picture:

Tons of exposed wires, random electrical poles, dirty and dented building facades, tape on lights, and oddly placed lockers. I love Universal, but it's the little stuff that matters. :confused:

Don't get me wrong, this park is beautiful, but lots of stuff seems very quickly, and sloppily done. For example, look at OI's second picture:

Tons of exposed wires, random electrical poles, dirty and dented building facades, tape on lights, and oddly placed lockers. I love Universal, but it's the little stuff that matters. :confused:

I agree with you. Seems inexcusable to me to open a park with things like this unfinished. But word on the street is that we need to be patient- this is all going to be fixed in time.

They seem to have just started that since the year Sapphire opened. They didn't do that before. They're doing it at the other resorts also now. Drives me crazy to watch also, but it looks like a safety & awareness routine. They're looking down, across & sideways constantly, in a predetermined set. No loafing for Universal life guards anymore. Looks like a taught system. Also looks like it makes for a more professional, safety conscious lifeguard.:thumbsup: Though they may experience neck problems later in life. :)

OSHA needs to be notified LOL!

I really don't see the issue with exposed wires in a water park..Electrocution builds character, it's all about the "experience"