Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

The whole project to me is a complete and utter let down and it goes beyond popcorn lights (I wonder if the people defending them will be the same ones that will call Toy Story Land cheap).

For me Disney set the bar 30 years back with Typhoon Lagoon and with Diagon just open, and the announcement of Universals game changing waterpark came, my mind raced. Disney had set the standard, and Universal were now matching/exceeding them in their parks, so what on earth could they possibly do to a waterpark? Exciting. Would there be effects in the slides? Glowing sand was mentioned. Genuine, themed areas. A nighttime show. Stunning entertainment.

What we got is a nice park, with the most exciting slides in Orlando, but one that lacks the details of a park that's 30 years it's senior. The wave pool issue highlighted previously is a good one & shows these small but vital touches are lacking in cruicial places. The back of the Volcano is shocking, I don't know how they authorised that through planning... they surely did research on the competition.

This park is closer to Aquatica than it is to Typhoon Lagoon. I happen to enjoy Aquatica, but this is a major miss for the standards Universal appeared to be reaching, but I now question if the 2 Harry Potter areas were the exception & not a new rule they were forging for themselves.

Good points made here. In regards to the Harry Potter area quality remember JK Rowling was making sure Creative didn't cut any corners along the way. If they did cut corners it was quickly rectified when she brought something substandard up (think along the lines of the marble columns in Gringotts entrance being replaced shortly after opening)

This project had no one like JK holding their hands along the way aside from Creative themselves.

Good points made here. In regards to the Harry Potter area quality remember JK Rowling was making sure Creative didn't cut any corners along the way. If they did cut corners it was quickly rectified when she brought something substandard up (think along the lines of the marble columns in Gringotts entrance being replaced shortly after opening)

This project had no one like JK holding their hands along the way aside from Creative themselves.

Yeah, that's my concern.

I don't want to be critical of them overall...I really don't. On my last trip to Orlando in 2015 I left with Universal being my absolute favourite and I was so excited about where they were heading. I just hope the last year or so has been a blip because I worry they're starting to believe their hype to an extent, and are cutting corners.

Let's hope the next few years any fears were proven to be unfounded, but it's up in the air right now. Fast & Furious probably isn't going to help this, but onwards and upwards.

That's probably an issue.

If I visited as a normal tourist and not an enthusiast maybe I wouldn't have had any expectations...maybe the public aren't noticing these things and that's why Universal haven't put the resources into these particular areas...but it's still disappointing through my eyes.

I'm not saying don't be disappointed, but that's due to expectations you set for the park, not Universal. They gave you exactly what they said (for most part, barring them finishing the park - and not including Stargazer Cavern).

Public's issues, for most part, is the long lines and TapuTapu. Whether it be due to new system, or the customer's unfamiliarity.

I'm not saying don't be disappointed, but that's due to expectations you set for the park, not Universal. They gave you exactly what they said (for most part, barring them finishing the park - and not including Stargazer Cavern).

Public's issues, for most part, is the long lines and TapuTapu. Whether it be due to new system, or the customer's unfamiliarity.

I'd say that was fair but as fans we need to reasses to an extent where Universal are at the moment. I don't think it was wrong for anyone to expect a superior product, but maybe our expectations need to be lowered a bit after a few questionable misses (in my opinion anyway)

Just a quick disclaimer...this is all relative. They're still making world class products, and it's one of the greatest theme park resorts in the world. Any criticism is because it isn't as amazing as expected and not because it's not good at all. I'd still rather spend a day in Volcano Bay than most places on the planet!

I'd say that was fair but as fans we need to reasses to an extent where Universal are at the moment. I don't think it was wrong for anyone to expect a superior product, but maybe our expectations need to be lowered a bit after a few questionable misses (in my opinion anyway)

Just a quick disclaimer...this is all relative. They're still making world class products, and it's one of the greatest theme park resorts in the world. Any criticism is because it isn't as amazing as expected and not because it's not good at all. I'd still rather spend a day in Volcano Bay than most places on the planet!

There were certain things that left me a little disappointed with the park, but after going back and seeing all the press images and releases , I noticed; "Well, they gave us pretty much everything that they said".

I still have a lot of fun at the park, and that's what matters.

Just to throw my only gripe with the park out there and it's the location. Now this is catch 22 position. I love that it's on site and that if I'm staying at CBBR, I can walk there in literally minutes but from everything I've seen, the illusion that's created inside the park is instantly gone once you walk up some stairs.

Granted, this isn't something that Universal can help but it's just the reality of the situation. Typhoon Lagoon feels like an isolated paradise and even Blizzard Beach for the most part feels like a separate place from WDW and anything visible looks so far away that it doesn't really matter.

The park isn't finished so maybe some of this can be addressed by adding some taller trees or large wall similar to Dragon Challenge.

I'm not saying don't be disappointed, but that's due to expectations you set for the park, not Universal. They gave you exactly what they said (for most part, barring them finishing the park - and not including Stargazer Cavern)

Also, they haven't yet delivered on the "And here, a Full Day of Fun lasts well into the night." thing.

That is an expectation that Universal set.

Also, they haven't yet delivered on the "And here, a Full Day of Fun lasts well into the night." thing.

That is an expectation that Universal set.

Considering there are areas in the park that are not well lit yet (thus lights on the stairs) I'm sure it's because it isn't finished. Those hanging lights themselves may be temporary.

The glowing sand thing was a patent, I was hoping that would get in (it may yet). I'd be really interested in a comparison between may 25, 2017 and may 25, 2018 (next year) to see what was changed and delivered on and what wasn't.

I've read some. Funny to see one review see "Not enough floats!" followed up by the next person's review "too many floats!"
69425674.jpg

This is a common misconception. Jo did not have daily or frequent contact with UC, that was Stuart Craig and the WB team. Even then this was for design, drawings, and detail work sign off. Jo does visit and review but at that point she's about ready to sign off since her level is more on a making sure the characters and settings are true to life.

Don't discredit the incredible work done by UC, WB, and all the contractors down to "Jo said not to cut corners."

This is a common misconception. Jo did not have daily or frequent contact with UC, that was Stuart Craig and the WB team. Even then this was for design, drawings, and detail work sign off. Jo does visit and review but at that point she's about ready to sign off since her level is more on a making sure the characters and settings are true to life.

Don't discredit the incredible work done by UC, WB, and all the contractors down to "Jo said not to cut corners."

The contractors always do a fabulous job on the projects but at the end they are only following orders from the client. I think you underestimate just how involved Jo was with the Potter projects. I saw her on site multiple times taking tours with Mark and UC team at 1st and 2nd expansion plots. Back on topic in regards to VB I think you guys are giving UC too much of a pass on this one but that's just my opinion. They failed on multiple fronts, succeeded on others sure, but I think the reviews online speak to which direction the public opinion is swaying.

The contractors always do a fabulous job on the projects but at the end they are only following orders from the client. I think you underestimate just how involved Jo was with the Potter projects. I saw her on site multiple times taking tours with Mark and UC team at 1st and 2nd expansion plots. Back on topic in regards to VB I think you guys are giving UC too much of a pass on this one but that's just my opinion. They failed on multiple fronts, succeeded on others sure, but I think the reviews online speak to which direction the public opinion is swaying.

Public opinion (i.e. TripAdvisor) has been harsh on TapuTapu and them not being finished though. We know they shouldn't have opened behind, but they did, and are doing what they can to rectify it as soon as they can.

With TapuTapu, as of late, it seems recent negative reviews has to do more with unfamiliarity than anything.

Moving on from the initial issues of extreme waits (which was a definite issue), seeing reviews of "I can only wait in one line at a time" shows its more about confusion at this point than system error/issues. How else does line queuing work? Without TapuTapu, they are still waiting in one line at a time.

I don't think the park being closer to Aquatica is a bad thing as Aquatica's a great water park. I agree with that comparison actually, just not sure Universal would be pleased with it as I believe their ambition was (is?) bigger for the park. Or maybe it wasn't. They still have an on-site water park that's super attractive to their on-site guests and locals and will be for years to come.