Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WB Dubai

Man, it hurts to see *how close* some of these rides are to being top class. The Flinstone flume (strange projection turntable notwithstanding) features great scenic but awfully static, boring visuals. Scooby Doo features some great tricks (especially projection-based) bogged down by department store-level presentation.

Furryous looks fantastic, as do the park's general environments. The Acme and Batman rides sound cool - hopefully someone can get some footage sooner or later.

Friend of mine should be visiting the park tomorrow - looking forward to his firsthand reactions.
Yeah. I had that same impression after looking at the rides on TPI. Nice, almost there, but just not the complete package on each and every one I watched.

Wish there were POVs for all of the rides, but man this park looks GREAT. They look far superior to those abysmal Motion Gate parks. Although the ride has the typical issues of static dummies, the Scooby-Doo ride looks great.

Apparently the Joker's funhouse is a walk-thru. Shame they wasted potential for a perfect dark ride that could've made fans of "The Killing Joke" happy.

I would love to see one in SoCal (Preferably because I live there) or Orlando or anywhere in the US. The problem is, there's already too much competition. Even if they did, the competition would be fierce enough to where they would have to change/add rides and an indoor park would not make that easy.

All these parks are *not owned or operated* by WB. This is a very, very important distinction when talking about these parks. What we see in AD is no different than what Universal does when they license the Potter property. I think it's more likely that Uni tries to get some of these properties in the future rather than WB opening their own parks

Well that's why I threw "licensing" in there because I knew someone was going to make this point.

But isn't the same deal that Disney does with Tokyo Disney Resort where they are not owners or operators, but just licence their product and get a cut of the profits? I could see WB trying the same business model here in the States if Abu Dhabi is a success.

Well that's why I threw "licensing" in there because I knew someone was going to make this point.

But isn't the same deal that Disney does with Tokyo Disney Resort where they are not owners or operators, but just licence their product and get a cut of the profits? I could see WB trying the same business model here in the States if Abu Dhabi is a success.

I mean, WB already does do this in the US through Six Flags (Loony Tunes/DC Characters) and Universal (Harry Potter)

New York State or NYC? I'm not NYC has much more room for a immersive WB theme park.

Somewhere near NYC. Maybe in Jersey, wherever there is space. WB can make themselves a NYC destination with guests visiting their park even during the winter months, being an indoor park.

The US market is way too mature for WB (or its licensees) to try and establish a major theme park. The USA already has Disney + Universal at the high-end, SeaWorld/Legoland/some others in the mid-tier and a mess of regional parks on the middle/low-end of the spectrum.

WB has been looking at much less mature markets where they can be a bigger player by virtue of being one of the few parks.

Unless Six Flags goes all in on a Disney/Universal style theme park (probably in a more remote area so they don't have to directly compete with Disney/Universal), all of those IPs are going to continue to be wasted.

But Seaworld, Legoland, and other amusement park operators aren't anything like Disney and Universal, both which has experience in theming attractions. Anything is still possible and it's welcoming to have a third theme park operator to compete with Disney and Universal. However, Warner Bros. currently don't have the experience they need to compete so they look into the lower-to-mid market overseas to make more money that way. That's why they lease the properties to Disney and Universal, past and present. Neither I think there's room for that especially in the California and Orlando area, and WB doesn't have any interest in establishing its own theme parks at the moment, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility though.

Great, now I'm getting you guys mixed up due to your avatar. After I read Gadget Guru's post, I though I had just finished reading Paulio's, but then Paulio decided to post afterwards and I'm like wtf? Is he responding to himself? Lol

I mean, WB already does do this in the US through Six Flags (Loony Tunes/DC Characters) and Universal (Harry Potter)

True. I'm just thinking that a proper indoor theme park can actually work in the highly-competitive CA market. I mean just look at the Great Wolf Lodge with their indoor water park. SOCAL has TONS of water parks, yet GWL Water Park manages to do very well. Currently, I don't think CA has any indoor theme/amusement parks which I think is a missed opportunity.

Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi: 21st Century movie park in UAE | blooloop

“The process started 10 or 12 years ago,” says van Roden. “Specifically, under our chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara, there has been a real focus on building franchises around our DC, animation, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings IP [intellectual property]..."

He's discussing the reason WB made a return to the themed entertainment business. The mention of LOTR certainly grabbed my attention.

Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi: 21st Century movie park in UAE | blooloop

“The process started 10 or 12 years ago,” says van Roden. “Specifically, under our chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara, there has been a real focus on building franchises around our DC, animation, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings IP [intellectual property]..."

He's discussing the reason WB made a return to the themed entertainment business. The mention of LOTR certainly grabbed my attention.
I hope that Universal picks up the option and puts LOTR in the new park....LOTR, Zelda and HTTYD would definitely be an Epic Universe, in the vein of the historical epics Beowulf, The Iliad & The Song of Igor..

I hope that Universal picks up the option and puts LOTR in the new park....LOTR, Zelda and HTTYD would definitely be an Epic Universe, in the vein of the historical epics Beowulf, The Iliad & The Song of Igor..

Warner has enough IP for Universal style park if they can get out of the awfulness of the Six Flags use the IPs. Again, I'll shout out TEXAS, perfect place for an Indoor park like that with a massive local population within 5 hrs if placed right and no major, over the top competition.

Yeah this park looks insane. Yes, there are a bit too many trackless rides but hey, it is what it is. The Scooby Doo one is adorable with its little Mystery Machines and while there are some issues with static props (start of the Flintstones flume ride), there's amazing scenic and enough kinetic energy to make by.

I hope POVs for Ani-Mayhem and Green Lantern eek out soon.

Isn't there a batman ride using Kuka arms in this park? I want to see that.

Yup.

Batman: Test Flight, is one of the first implementations of a Kuka ride system since Forbidden Journey. However, in what has changed, is that the ride system doesn't load continuously, and is more of a traditional (in a way) loading process.

Yup.

Batman: Knight Flight, is one of the first implementations of a Kuka ride system since Forbidden Journey. However, in what has changed, is that the ride system doesn't load continuously, and is more of a traditional (in a way) loading process.

FTFY:)