WB Studios - A Festival of Frights | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

WB Studios - A Festival of Frights

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Alright so I did go last night and I did some reviews on my Twitter which I'm going to plug in @HHNManics. As it was also raining hard last night as well. I had the Loser Club Pass but hit everything (Except Exorcist) with GA to then do it again with Loser Club. Got everything done at 9:30. Some quick side notes before I get into the experiences/mazes.

- In order of what you should do: Conjuring, Arkham, IT, Tram/NOCCL, Exorcist. Conjuring gets really long waits because of the tour so absolutely head there first when you enter, Arkham gets long waits because of the pre-show element, IT had a long line but went by in 20-30 minutes. Tram has a consistently short wait and Exorcist didn't have much of one.

- Unlike HHN all of the attractions were open all night regardless of the hard rain and there were staff walking by the lines asking people if they wanted Poncho Coats.

- The Event had a cool entrance of abandoned Freak Show pieces and then entering through the Joker's Mouth and seeing different Freaks. This is their scare zone and only one. Which is cool but short and little to no set design except for outside the zone. I hope in the near future that HMH decides to do more Scare Zones similar to HHN and Knotts because without them it feels a bit bare.

The Conjuring Universe (1 Time): This was the first one I headed to as soon as I got inside and waited in line until 7 where they let us in. The facade is pretty cool having the Warren's house with the tombstones and the Curtains and the Hanging. It's a cool facade. Then you enter and then you are greeted by a guide tour for the Warrens where they do a investigation. You find out the Annabelle doll has gone missing. And etc. Etc... You all have probably heard but this one is pretty bad. The Scares are very nonexistent despite the Conjuring being a extremely scary franchise to almost all people out there. The Costumes are okay. The Nun looks good but the Lady who has her wrists cut with "Look What She Made Me Do" is terrible and so is the Scarecrow. The Sets are pretty bare looking and it felt less than a haunt. It felt really bare and just bad. The effects aren't that good either even the Nun Painting is really bad and awkward in person. Overall it's pretty bad and I want to see Horror Nights do it next year badly because of this.

Grade: F

Nightmare on Camp Crystal Lake (2 Times):
So after doing that piece of trash I decided that I would do their Tram which I was excited for. The tour there kinda explains the story that you are people going to camp and you see Elm Street before going to Camp Crystal Lake. Then you get off and you basically follow a trail to a cabin and then get back onto a tram back. There's nice sets along the way and in the Cabin as well. The Immersion factor is fantastic and is very quiet in parts to make it feel real which it does. The Costumes are the same as HHN pretty much which I'm fine with. The Scares are fantastic. There's a lot of energy here. The Effects they have are really cool and the lighting is really good as well. However my problem is that this really doesn't feel like a Freddy and Jason type thing. It feels more Jason than Freddy or that it should/could have been just Jason. But whatever I also wish it was a bit longer but I overall liked it more than the Tram at HHN. Felt like a fresh breath of air.

Grade: B+

Batman: Escape from Arkham Asylum (2 Times):
Yikes... Look I am a huge fan of the games and I have played through Arkham Asylum multiple times. The facade is cool. I really like the Batmobile out front. The inside with the Preshow/Joker Judge Room with Blacklight is really awesome. It's a great way to start the maze and then you go into the elevator and there's dialogue from the game it crashes. And then you enter the morgue and encounter Scarecrow. So far it feels like the game and is good. But then it falls apart with weird scenes that don't feel like that they aren't from the game. Like the weird Bar/Go Go Dancer Scene, and the hallway with the colored doors, and everything from that point. It just becomes lazy after the morgue. The Scares are not very good which sucks because it could be incredibly scary. The Costumes and Interactions with the Characters is the best part. The actors really capture the characters from the game. The maze has okay sets at best. It just doesn't feel like the game with no Mad Hatter, no Giant Scarecrow, no Killer Croc, no Bane, no Giant Joker, no Skeletons from the Scarecrow fights, or the mutated Patients from the Asylum. After the morgue they just threw it all together. Which sucks and the ending is pretty bad as well. With nothing in there but a box and a bat symbol and a exit out the maze. It's fun but my my god what a disappointment.

Grade: C

IT (2 Times):
Despite last year's Hollywood Boulevard attraction being terrible/not good this is a Great Maze and the best of the event. The facade with Neilbolt is really nice and extremely pretty. Like Arkham they have the Character interactions as well and Great costumes in here which is great but it also has some very good scares. This maze out of everything felt the Most HHN Esc. I really like the Sets very pretty in parts. For the most part Costumes are good aside from Pennywise. The maze is very authentic to the film and it's just very nice. It's what I ended up getting the most scares from and enjoying the most. It's a Pretty Amazing Maze and probably the maze this year.

Grade: A

The Exorcist Forbidden Screening (1 Time):

The Church facade was very nice and I liked that a lot. Once you enter the priests give a speech about the rules and you start watching the Exorcist. What's cool is the 4D element the whole things moving when things move in the film. Something falls in the film something falls in the church. It's very cool. And then it goes into the actual Exorcist with flashes of Pazuzu on the walls and everything is moving. And the Church Rows you are sitting on start to shake. Then it blacks out and Regan appears trying to get at Guests. The priests take her away and you must exit the church. Overall very nice experience. I hope they expand on this and do a Exorcist Maze.

Grade: B

The events ticket prices are way too high for how much it offers and the quality. $30-40ish would be acceptable. This event IMO is fine. It's nothing special. A few cool things here and there. But it's fun but okay. I like IT, Exorcist, and Tram. But Arkham is disappointing and Conjuring is terrible. It should adopt HHN Strobe Scares but mix them with Knotts Scares. Because as of now the Scares are not that great.

On one side I don't want this event to do that well because I want to see IT, Conjuring, etc at HHN. But on the other side HHN could mess those up and HMH could be very special in the future.

I hope that if they continue that it improves greatly next year but I would just rather go back to Knotts, HHN, or Queen Mary than this for this year if I had to choose. It's fine but it has a lot of issues.

Overall Grade: C+

Last edited:
In hindsight I appreciate the IT maze a lot more. I think they did it a lot better than HHN Hollywood would but man Orlando’s maze would be epic.

Anyone know how successful this event is? It had crowds when I was there but I’m wondering if it appears more crowded than it is due to the guided tour nature of the mazes

I would also like to just say, that no budget is alike.

Each event has it's own different set of budgets and requirements, and sometimes that doesn't work out. This is not directed to any one, but that we should always know that in some circumstances; a lower budget may explain certain things turning out the way that things come out.

I think a case could be opened up in wondering about Arkham. While it is owned by Warner, I wonder if Arkham may of been a jumping the shark moment that soured others. Not because of the IP itself, that being Batman and the Arkham Trilogy; but the scope of things.

Arkham Asylum, is not a setting that could be taken lightly. And a lot of things may of costed more than what they had. Hence, why we got certain things that makes no sense in the context of the location.

Aspects of Arkham Asylum honestly IMO, should've been easy to do. Like Scarecrow and the nightmare hallucinations, or Killer Croc and the Sewers (even if it's a small scene for that; and only having a puppet). I'm not asking for a Titan Joker, or even Bane if you will; but they could've done more with the game's locals than what was in reality..given.

Reactions: HHNManics
I think they lowered the price on the next two Sundays to $69, for anyone curious to go still!

Reactions: Clive
Most likely not. My weekends for the rest of the month are oddly full, plus I just went to Knotts (which I was originally going to skip this year for WB instead), and I still think that's above my price-range for what I imagine the event is worth by a good $10-15. However, knowing now that they aren't above dropping prices, if a $49-59 day pops up, I'll definitely make an effort!

Reactions: SOCAL110
I was able to go last weekend and had a blast. The Conjuring was a stand out for sure. They rely on your suspense level to rise which makes the whole thing work as opposed to a conga line style maze. The Nightmare on Camp Crystal Lake was awesome as well. In my opinion it was exactly what it should have been: extremely dark and foreboding. Another thing I think they did really well was The Exorcist screening. There was a nice use of projection mapping effects in there and it all worked really well.

Aside from that, the IT and Arkham Asylum mazes were fun but they didn't edge out the other experiences for me. Easily the worst thing about the event was the DJ. Having top 40s music in the epicenter of the event was no fun. It bled into the mazes too. They should definitely try playing some music from the properties they had or just having a little better atmosphere music next year. I also thought the Devil's Drop should have been some kind of carnival haunted house style dark ride instead. Just a fun suggestion.

All in all, I think it was great and on a Sunday we were able to get in there and do everything (some things twice) by 10:30. I can't wait to see what they do next year.

I was able to go last weekend and had a blast. The Conjuring was a stand out for sure. They rely on your suspense level to rise which makes the whole thing work as opposed to a conga line style maze. The Nightmare on Camp Crystal Lake was awesome as well. In my opinion it was exactly what it should have been: extremely dark and foreboding. Another thing I think they did really well was The Exorcist screening. There was a nice use of projection mapping effects in there and it all worked really well.

Aside from that, the IT and Arkham Asylum mazes were fun but they didn't edge out the other experiences for me. Easily the worst thing about the event was the DJ. Having top 40s music in the epicenter of the event was no fun. It bled into the mazes too. They should definitely try playing some music from the properties they had or just having a little better atmosphere music next year. I also thought the Devil's Drop should have been some kind of carnival haunted house style dark ride instead. Just a fun suggestion.

All in all, I think it was great and on a Sunday we were able to get in there and do everything (some things twice) by 10:30. I can't wait to see what they do next year.

Great review!

I'm actually heading out there tomorrow. The consensus seems to be to hit up Conjuring first. Are there any tips you would recommend?

Reactions: deadbydawn
Good review, Evil Dead 2: Electric Boogaloo (aka deadbydawn). The sound bleed was an issue even just watching the videos, so I imagine it'd be a tad bit worse being there. What did you think of the Exhbit and did you try any of the food? A cool, cheap dark ride is actually a great idea and could even fit the dead carnival theme they have at the entrance.

Can't wait to read your review SoCal!

^A carnival dark ride is great in theory, but have you been on a carnival dark ride lately? They're laughably bad in terms of effects (all off the shelf, and few and far between) and scares (most of them don't even work). They're really only meant to scare kids and maybe tweens. Anyone above that age bracket will think it's a joke. I think they were better off with the drop tower.

I think marketed properly, you could set people's expectations right. Like calling it Dr. Doomville's Spooktacular Express would certainly curb the enthusiasm to expect a dumb, Z-movie quality ride.

A) I don't think any carnival company is going to allow or bother with a rename, and

B) Even if they did, mixing a "dumb" dark ride with adults + alcohol = vandalism.

^A carnival dark ride is great in theory, but have you been on a carnival dark ride lately? They're laughably bad in terms of effects (all off the shelf, and few and far between) and scares (most of them don't even work). They're really only meant to scare kids and maybe tweens. Anyone above that age bracket will think it's a joke. I think they were better off with the drop tower.
like this one

Reactions: Honor_Knight
Haven't we learned by now that attempting to evoke "cheap" theme park theming never feels anything but cheap?

If anything, throw up a small coaster and tie it into Final Destination.

What's up y'all, longtime lurker here. I'm a huge huge horror movie fan that's been going to both HHN/KSF since I was a kid in the '90s. After going to HMH I felt compelled to write a review. I was super excited when this event was announced and bought my tickets asap! My expectations were lowered BIG TIME after reading most of the reviews on here and I was sort of bummed out. How could something that sounded so awesome be so bad? Well...

My wife and I arrived at the event around 7:30 and went straight to The Conjuring Universe. Wait was less than 20 mins and we were in. This attraction (I can't even call it a maze) was unlike anything that I've ever been to! It literally felt like we were transported INSIDE THE MOVIES! As your lined up you realize you're going to be walking into a legit house, not just some maze facade. No other maze I've been to has even come close to what went on in here. This really is a game changer! Everything from the actors to the sets and "interactions" were AMAZING!!! I've never seen actors at a haunt be this good/serious. Whether they were playing along with the script or having to improv with a drunk they were all great. TCU set the tone that this wasn't "just a haunt".

From there we went to Arkham Asylum. Now I gotta admit, I'm a HUGE comic book nerd. I have tattoos of both Batman and The Joker so I may be a bit biased when it comes to this one LOL. Again, lining up you know real fast this isn't some lame facade. You see the Batmobile. You see the gates to Arkam and the actual asylum. You see the damn Batsignal! While we were in line (wait was less than 15min) The Joker and Harley came up to us and had a chat. I FELT LIKE I WAS TALKING TO THE JOKER AND HARLEY FROM THE ANIMATED SERIES!!! This is the first time I've ever had fun in a line LOL. Now, this maze didn't have as much detail as the others but it did have some awesome ones! What really made this maze great was the talent! Maybe it was because I had a Batman shirt on but EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER interacted with my wife and I. I felt like I was dreaming it was so good! They all looked like they were ripped straight out of the game but it was the actors that made them real. I don't know how WB did it but they nailed the casting. Every Joker sounds like Mark Hamill!!! Even The Riddler sounds just like he does in the game! I had super high expectations for this made and I can honestly say this maze was better than I even thought. WOW!

Walked over to IT waited about 20mins and walked in. WOW! This has to be the most detailed "maze" I've been in. Again, you weren't just walking into a facade but walking into the actual Neibolt house! And again, you're transformed into the movie! This was a more traditional maze in a sense but improved with it's sets, actors and interactivity! There is one room in here that is probably my favorite room of any maze I've been in. Such incredible detail in this maze! I honestly can't understand how anyone could think HHNH would do a better IT than this! No way! Just another attraction that I had low hopes for that blew me away.

Now we went to Nightmare On Crystal Lake and walked right on. It was only my my wife and I and guess who else was on our tram? Michael Aiello and his group! I recognized him immediately but didn't say hi because I'm anti-social LOL. I gotta tell you guys how funny our driver was, this dude had us cracking up the entire ride! Anyways, we get off the tram (my wife and I with Aiello and his 2or3 friends) and HOLY$***! We're at Crystal F'ing Lake! Let me just say, I'm a huge F13 fan(have him tatted on my hand) and I've seen every F13 maze at HHN. Not once did I feel like I was in the actual movie. Not only did WB nail the scenery but they nailed the casting. There were 2 Jasons that had his mannerisms and movement down to a tee! There were some Freddy's that looked really cool but they looked out of place because this really felt like a Jason attraction. Man it was soo good! WB NAILED THE TRAM EXPERIENCE! Funny thing is they maybe only use about 1/4 of the actors HHN uses on its Terror Tram and is still so much better! Not only are you outside but you go inside to see some incredibly detailed sets. I was able to really appreciate all the detail experiencing it with Aiello and hearing his opinion on everything!

We finished our night with The Exorcist: Forbidden Screening and only waited about 15min. Now this was another thing I was super excited for until I read the reviews and my expectations were now low! We sat in the front row with only 2 other people and it started. Just like TCU, this is another game changer! I don't know how to describe it without spoiling it. It was a GREAT time! Again, I may be biased because I grew up with Exorcist being the scariest film of all time but I'll say this. I thought HHN's EX maze sucked and was a huge let down. This was the opposite of that experience and I loved it!

Now for the negatives. They don't have scarezones just a few random actors walking around random places at random times. They need at least triple the amount of actors walking around or they need to have actual scarezones. I saw a few areas that would've been perfect for scarezones but there was nada. That music had gotta go LOL. I didn't have a problem with it bleeding into any of the attractions at all. I just have a problem with the type of music they played! It's not as big a problem as the scarezones though but I mean c'mon. Play some Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Halloween type music.
1. Conjuring was a bit short, wished it was just a bit longer.
2. Arkham wasn't as detailed compared to the other mazes. It really didn't bother me though because you really are
focused on the actors the entire maze.
3. IT add more Pennywises! but again I understand why it was that way and didn't have a problem. (trying not to spoil it)
4. Tram add more actors! This needs around double the amount of actors. I was walking through a lot wishing there were more of them.
5. Exorcist I honestly can't think of any negatives at all. This was perfect!

All in all I have to say. Every single "haunt attraction" here really makes you feel like you're in that universe and feel real. They nailed it from the sets to the talent! It didn't feel like a "theme park haunt" and that's a good thing! I think most people on here giving bad reviews because they wanted that same old formula of people just popping out at you. I will say this, I'm not a theme park nerd. I only go to theme parks during Halloween for the haunts and very rarely ride the rides. I lurk theme park forums just for the haunt info. I am 100% a horror and comic book nerd. After experiencing what WB offered I will never look at a haunt the same way again LOL. From here on out I think I'll be doing HMH and KSF each year so I can get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: DTH