Westworld | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Westworld

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The time frames of scenes continues to baffle me. Mechanical Delores still appeared real even with the gears functioning. But then we have the old duffer that Ford drinks with in the lower levels. He is all choppy and functions poorly. Then we have the biobots featured in the opening. So are these things from 3 different periods with the old duffer being from further back than 30 years?

The time frames of scenes continues to baffle me. Mechanical Delores still appeared real even with the gears functioning. But then we have the old duffer that Ford drinks with in the lower levels. He is all choppy and functions poorly. Then we have the biobots featured in the opening. So are these things from 3 different periods with the old duffer being from further back than 30 years?

The old Duffer was likely never used in the parks. He is clunky. We also know that they tinkered with the bots for 3 years before they ever allowed anyone to step foot in the parks. So yes- 3 different time periods.

Old piano player bill is likely 35-38 years old- although we never really "watch" that timeline. Delores in her interviews with Arnold and what we see in the church with the bots holding their heads confused is 33-35 years ago. Cut open Delores is 30 years. Intro bots are present.

It's going to be a long wait until 2018 for the second season.
Stubbs said something like she has had all of her parts replaced to the point where she was practically new, maybe she had her mechanical parts replaced with organic ones over time? :shrug:

Dont expect to know all that this season- both Nolan and Joy said they would delve into how they are made significantly in Season 2. That will likely explain more about Maeve and her body not being able to survive, etc.

It's going to be a long wait until 2018 for the second season.

Stubbs said something like she has had all of her parts replaced to the point where she was practically new, maybe she had her mechanical parts replaced with organic ones over time? :shrug:

William/Logan era Delores appears to be biomechanical, but not full bio the way the newest hosts are. She's the version -after- the clockwork style ones that Ford keeps in his little house, and those are after the old bar fly that Ford likes to talk to which is essentially a glorified animatronic.

And in a preview you see just Delores' head, neck, and clavicle with wires coming out of it and mechanical bits - suggesting it can be separated from the rest of the body. The hard drive is in the head apparently, as seen in the deactivation scenes. Within it or on it or however the memory system works there's a cornerstone which holds and the base personality together despite any programming.

William dismembers a bunch of hosts and strews the mechanical bits around, so that firmly places him in the semi-bio timeline (not even that Delores was simply an older model at that point.) The machine printed and bio-dipped hosts are the newest ones.

Dont expect to know all that this season- both Nolan and Joy said they would delve into how they are made significantly in Season 2. That will likely explain more about Maeve and her body not being able to survive, etc.

The "even your skin" comment from one of the tech's made me seriously doubt Maeve could ever succeed in leaving the park.

But JP was supposed to have the lycene contingency and we all saw how well that worked out (in the mythology.)

Some interesting observations here as well:

So the 3 timeline thing was confirmed- good. And most of the stuff finally is solved- where is present delores, etc. But we got a lot of neat additions now as well:

Arnold 33/35 years old timeline:
We see a fully functioning center below the church. We see several hosts who are starting to become self-aware- one of which is Angela (the blonde who welcomed William and the one who stabbed Teddy). So Angela was in Westworld as a host before she was at the center as a host/greeter and she started to become self aware there. We also know that is where Delores has had all of her meetings with Arnold (who we thought was bernard)- in that spot- in that building. OK- that's about all there.

William 30 years old timeline:
The weakest of the timelines, but still starting to see more things come out. Like the picture that we see in the earlier episodes of his wife (lady in times square), and the massacre that William did. I'm ready to see his full realization to MiB. Guessing we'll find out in the finale. I also believe we saw the aftermath of the "incident" in the church area where the functioning center was below the confessional. It appears Delores kills everyone in there- so we should see this also next episode. Oh ya, and Logan is apparently the hand to the king from GoT with his cool pin :D
Other than that, a resounding "meh" from williams timeline.

Current timeline:
By far the best of the bunch. We have Maive, we have Ford. Need I say more?
This is where the most is going on.

*Angela
-35 years ago shes becoming sentient
-30 years ago shes reprogrammed and is welcoming guests
-presently she appears to be completely sentient again. Her most important line to MiB "The maze isn't for you". We find out, it isn't. The Maze is for the hosts to figure out sentience based on their inner-voices. She had it 35 years ago, and now shes fully aware again- all without Arnold being alive or Bernard's touch. This kind of got sideswept, but she's fully there. She knows all about Teddy and she is trying to get him to be sentient too. He just "isn't ready yet". There is way more to this story.

*MiB
-I liked his scene with Charlotte. Made him seem more human / humane.
-We also found out that he, along with Charlotte, are both trying to smuggle the info.
-He shows up at the church, Delores recoils. We FINALLY get to see current Delores
confirmed.
-I still think MiB isn't a bad guy- and that he didn't rape/kill Delores in the barn. Keep in mind, his wife who killed herself didn't love him and he was clearly in love with a robot... In fact, we know MiB learned how Maive originally came "alive" by having something happen to her cornerstone. I believe MiB has just been trying to shake Delores' "cornerstone" for her to become self-aware, and it hasn't worked. It's actually a tragic love-story and he's not bad in the slightest.
-Can't wait for this story- I'm anticipating this the most- if they do it right, they can really pull off some serious emotions here. The only thing that sucks is you have 3 of your weakest actors trying to attempt it (William, Delores, and an MiB that has been very one dimensional- not a knock on Ed Harris, just the character arc/personality is lacking).

*Delores
-It was clear she was retracing her steps, hence all the flashbacks, visions, etc. Everything- and I mean everything we were speculating on regarding that is now confirmed. Glad to put this to rest.
-How is she going to kill Arnold? Why? This doesn't make much sense, but hopefully we get this answer next episode.

Finally, a quick little nugget:
Ford suggests that humans have essentially killed everything on earth. No more animals or anything. We killed all them, now weve made robots to quench that thirst. Interesting. Also liked Delores saying that everyone keeps talking about getting her out- but if out there is so good, why are they paying to come in Westworld. Nice...
Somehow I missed this post - nicely pieced together, Andy.

I can't wait till this season is over and someone stiches the episodes together in order. Someone has to do that, right? lol

I've seen a lot of people that aren't really into the MiB/William/Dolores story - myself included. You have to think that is the story we are supposed to care the most about. They haven't been able to hook us in yet.

Andy, you ask how Dolores kills Arnold. It seems like that may have been her final 'test'. Maybe the end of the maze. And I think Arnold ordered it.

First we were told he died in the park. Then we were told it was suicide. Now we are told that Dolores did it. Let's assume all of those are correct - I know, tough to assume anything we are told on this show is correct - then death by suicide via Dolores fits that equation.

I think Arnold was trying to prove to Ford the way things were headed and set this up as a test. If Dolores can overcome her programming and kill Arnold, then she both passes the test and, in Arnold's view, shows that the hosts are destined to rise beyond their programming.

Reactions: LieutLaww
Damn, I thought I set my recorder to record all episodes. Instead, I went to the default of "last 7". :saywhat:
That sucks. I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to get them all.

Is it 9:00 yet??? Or 10:00 for me - my wife watches The Walking Dead, so I have to wait till that's over and watch on HBO Go

ETA: Ugh, TWD is another 90 minute episode tonight. It'll be a late night if I try to finish Westworld.

Last edited:
Checking out of this thread until Tuesday night! Hope everyone enjoys it... I'm exceptionally hyped.

The ending was beautiful. My heart was racing the second Dolores put on the dress at the end. You know what is going to happen and you are on the edge for every single moment.

latest

Checking out of this thread until Tuesday night! Hope everyone enjoys it... I'm exceptionally hyped.

Sky Atlantic showed the last ep the same time as America early hrs of the UK morning, I woke up and happened to flick the tv on and switched to Atlantic and it was on, thank god for the updated features that let you download an already started show. I can watch the last ep later when I get back from work. It should be available on catchup if you don't want to wait till tues ;)

Great ending. We know there's a season 2, but it actually could end and be just fine. Well done.

See walking dead? That's how you end a season. With the audience feeling satisfied yet still looking forward to next season.

In other news- I pity whoever watches walking dead :D

Reactions: SeventyOne
I shall be watching the ep in a couple of hrs or so, will post my thoughts then, dunno why Sky Atlantic in the UK only showed the last ep at the same time as the US, GOT gets the simulcast treatment.

Looks like, so far, I am the outlier here. My one word, non-spoilery review is: Disappointed

Spoilery notes:
MiB/William
  • Hated the idea that they were the same person from the beginning. I kept holding out hope, but knew many episodes ago that it was the only explanation.
  • Didn't like the reveal - it took way too long with the MiB speaking in 3rd person. C'mon show, we get it already. You aren't building suspense at that point, you are just dragging it out.
  • Didn't like how quickly William turned
    • Although, I have seen game players turn that fast. Go from, "I feel bad shooting at people" to "DIE!" pretty fast.
    • I'm also not sure that I would have wanted to see that dragged out any longer than we got.
  • The 'maze' reveal was also stupid. I guess everyone was right when they told MiB it wasn't for him.
MiB and Dolores
  • Their scene should have been the most emotional of the season and, to me, it felt flat. I felt nothing for ether of them.
    • I'm not at all surprised about that. After the first episode, Dolores was the most interesting character. Little did I know that by episode 2, I'm be tired of her story. She was only the best character in E1 because we didn't know anyone else as well.
  • I did like a few of the callbacks - Dolores dragging MiB was particularly fun.
Teddy and Dolores
  • Their end scene was so ridiculous that you knew it was a narrative - and a bad one at that.
  • I did, however, like the reveal of the audience
Dolores/Wyatt
  • Again, we've seen this one coming and I hoped it wasn't. They gave us too many Person A is also Person B this season.
I'm seeing a 'loop' in my narrative. Anything Dolores-related was lost on me. YMMV

Ford and Charlotte
  • What a stupid, done to death, premise. "We are going to fire you, but go ahead and take the next few hours to wreak havoc." It's like the Bond trope - "I'm going to kill you, Bond, but not before I tell you every secret and leave before I see you actually die"
  • The Charlotte character is still bad. She shows her hubris, which they don't explain how she got so smug and how she thought there was any chance at Ford leaving quietly, by making her lean on things.
Maeve and the Gang
  • Best parts of the show were wrapped up in this story. It also had some clunkers.
  • The good:
    • Maeve, Hector, and Armistice were all pretty fun
    • Loved Armistice messing with Felix and Oscar. Blowing kisses and such
    • Loved the 'loop' callback where Armistice threw Hector the gun.
    • Maeve turning around - not sure if I liked that storyline, but if it brings Maeve back for next season, it was the best choice they made in the finale.
    • I did kinda want to see 'Maeve in Manhattan', but we can save that till Season 5.
  • The bad:
    • Inept security teams. Learned their firearm skills from watching Stormtroopers.
    • Maeve's whole breakout story being a narrative. I kinda thought it was - how would Ford NOT have known if it wasn't, but again was hoping she was doing it on her own.
    • Hopefully, turning around was her idea and not in her narrative, but I don't have much hope for that.
Sorry so negative. Maybe I'll give it a rewatch and find more positives. This was the first episode that I didn't want to immediately rewatch. :(

Edited to add:
Samauri World might have been the best reveal in this episode, but that excitment, at least for me, only lasted about 5 seconds before I thought:
A. We'll likely never see Samauri World. We might get a glimpse here or there of some Samauri if there is a host uprising, but we won't get any depth.
B. It's likely there are other worlds that we will get the same glimpse of. Again, cool... but we won't get details.
C. I'm not sure why they had to go through Samauri World underground to get to the train. If felt like a list minute add to throw us something.
Edited to fix some mistakes and add a point or two

Last edited: