What do you shoot with? | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hey guys, so I was thinking about saving up my money and getting an actual DSLR - I got very used to using one this year in my photography class and I love the quality of the pictures I can get out of them.
So would you guys recommend the Canon T3i? I came across it at Target today and it seems really nice (plus I love Canon in general)...

I'm on my second Canon and love them, I won't buy anything else from here on out. I sold my other Canon to another member here and we were at the parks taking photos together last night. First thing I asked, so how's the camera. Response, love it. I purchased the T4i over the T3i simply because of the digic 5 processor. HHN is my favorite thing to shoot so I'm hoping the faster processor and higher iso will help with hand held shots this October. I still need to buy the 1.8 22MM or 1.4 50MM before October though.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI sideshow mike has the T3i as does Briman

I'm on my second Canon and love them, I won't buy anything else from here on out. I sold my other Canon to another member here and we were at the parks taking photos together last night. First thing I asked, so how's the camera. Response, love it. I purchased the T4i over the T3i simply because of the digic 5 processor. HHN is my favorite thing to shoot so I'm hoping the faster processor and higher iso will help with hand held shots this October. I still need to buy the 1.8 22MM or 1.4 50MM before October though.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI sideshow mike has the T3i as does Briman

The T4i is definitely nice, but it's also a tad more expensive. I've got a lot of expenses coming up (Senior year expenses, possible trip to Europe [if I can save the money], saving for college/living in NY, etc), so I'm trying to snip a bit wherever I can.

The T4i is definitely nice, but it's also a tad more expensive. I've got a lot of expenses coming up (Senior year expenses, possible trip to Europe [if I can save the money], saving for college/living in NY, etc), so I'm trying to snip a bit wherever I can.

Oh I understand, hell I've got the biggest bill of all coming, a kid. I was merely explaining my love of Canon. I would reach out via PM to Briman, Sideshow Mike or Jungleskip for T3 questions or concerns. There very knowledgable and welcoming. I can't remember if Felipe has a T3i or not.

For other brands reach out to these guys,
Nikon: Disneyhead or Universal_fanatic or Roodlesnouter
Sony: Bobwadd or Hockeyman 55 or maxairmike or Octobers Fade

The one thing with this hobby is its crazy expensive. It can become suoer addictive also and thay doesn't hekp the wallet or the savings account :lol:

HTF you have an f/1.8 already correct? If so id go for the f/1.4

Oh I understand, hell I've got the biggest bill of all coming, a kid. I was merely explaining my love of Canon. I would reach out via PM to Briman, Sideshow Mike or Jungleskip for T3 questions or concerns. There very knowledgable and welcoming. I can't remember if Felipe has a T3i or not.

You really cant go wrong with any of those 3 brands. Some are better than others at doing specific things. Example, Nikon and Canon seem to do a lot better with Higher ISO shooting and less noise than Sony. But i choose Sony because that is what i used for years so instuck with it when I bought a DSLR.

I Will say the only issue ive heard about with any of the 3 are a problem some of the higher end Nikona have with oil getting spit onto the sensor while shooting.

Yeah, that's a big one :lol:
Thanks for that, I'll be sure to keep them in mind if I have a question about it! And yeah - I was so happy that I had access to the school's DSLRs, as they were relatively modern and captured some awesome photos, and now I don't have them :'(

Yeah, that's a big one :lol:
Thanks for that, I'll be sure to keep them in mind if I have a question about it! And yeah - I was so happy that I had access to the school's DSLRs, as they were relatively modern and captured some awesome photos, and now I don't have them :'(

What brand did they use.?

Hey Bob id love to see a finished product shot of something you took using this new light. Studio shooting is something ive wanted to start looking into just really to do family portraits. I really dont have a clue when it comes to this type of stuff though :lol:

Give me a while as like everything else there will be a learning curve. When I feel I've got it down I'll post some with / with-out shots.

Also I just fixed the post. The last shot was supposed to show the lamp assembly. Oops.

I'll post it here also . . .

Monolight-04.jpg

The one thing with this hobby is its crazy expensive. It can become suoer addictive also and thay doesn't hekp the wallet or the savings account :lol:

HTF you have an f/1.8 already correct? If so id go for the f/1.4

Yeah I'm leaning towards the 1.4 as I've seen what it can do first hand but the 22MM 1.8 also has a faster focus ring just like the 1.4 and thats something I need for HHN's. I mean either way I really can't go wrong. In a world where I had a little extra cash that 1.2 L glass would be freaking sweet :lol:

Sure :shrug:

You know what I'll attach to the bottom of it. I also have a good location to fly it over. :rofl:

Bob from the air :lol:

Yeah I'm leaning towards the 1.4 as I've seen what it can do first hand but the 22MM 1.8 also has a faster focus ring just like the 1.4 and thats something I need for HHN's. I mean either way I really can't go wrong. In a world where I had a little extra cash that 1.2 L glass would be freaking sweet :lol:

Here is my thought on the focus with those lenses. With my experiences I have found that shooting in low light has been problematic with try to nail the focus using AF. I use the cheaper Sony lens so that may be the reason :lol: But I have adapted, on dark rides im shooting manual focus and I have been able to get more keeper shots because my camera wasn't fighting to focus the whole time. So there is a chances the f/1.8 you are looking at may not have the focus issues mine does and be perfect for you. Which lenses are you looking at?

At first I said the f/1.4 would be the one to go with but not so sure now. I almost would prefer a wider frame than having to use the 50mm. Yeah the two thirds of a stop difference would be nice but not at that cost, for me anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Give me a while as like everything else there will be a learning curve. When I feel I've got it down I'll post some with / with-out shots.

Also I just fixed the post. The last shot was supposed to show the lamp assembly. Oops.

I'll post it here also . . .

Monolight-04.jpg

No rush, thanks Bob : thumbs:

Thats a tough call. The 28mm I think is what I would go for but know how it goes. Only because ive had a 50mm and don't care for it on dark rides. Puts me too close to everything

No rush, thanks Bob :thumbs:

A few preliminary results . . .

White Balance is the same in all shots and keyed to a WB Card.

1 - Best I could do with just the camera flash. If I bumped it up any I would really blow the highlights.

Monolight-05.jpg

2 - With moonlight set at approximately 45d to the left of objects and slightly above. Monolight flash set to +f1.3.

Monolight-06.jpg

3 - Everything set same as #2 except I added a white reflector at about 75d to the right of the objects. Tends to wash out the objects and cause a little to much glare IMO.

Monolight-07.jpg

I might have to make or purchase a reflector on a stand so I can achieve the desired effect.

EXIF Data from # 3 - I thought you might be interested in it HM55.

Monolight-07-EXIFData.jpg

I have a Canon Rebel T3 and I love it! Works wonders and it's perfect for my hobby status. Though, whenever I have the time and money to get a bit more serious, I'm really considering selling the T3 and getting the 4i, as I'm drooling at the latest shots you've been posting. Stunning!

I just sold my Canon 50mm, f1.4 FD Standard Lens for film Camera on eBay. I decided it was finally time to piece out my old Canon A1 kit. IT served me well for many years and has been sitting in the closet for about the past 10 years now. I should have sold it long ago.

Anyway, my point is that the 50mm, f1.4 was my favorite night shot lens. You could go with something wider with a f1.4 max aperture but as I'm sure you know those can run up to $2000. :yikes: Hell, if you wanted to spend that much you might as well go for a f1.2. :lol:

Alright, that's my input.

FYI,

I'm selling my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens and its in like new condition. I have the original box, manual, and even the receipt from Best Buy where I purchased it. It's selling on Amazon for $89 and up for used and around $110 New.

I'm selling mine for $80. PM me if interested please. I'm gonna list it on Amazon in a couple of days so if interested act quickly. Thanks!

Can I just ask people here, what do you do with your cameras whenever you get on rides ? I really want to bring a good camera with me but its just me and my boyfriend so what would we do with the camera?