WHY is the video quality in FJ so poor? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

WHY is the video quality in FJ so poor?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Funny story about that. A friend of mine was a ride op for FJ during testing. Story is invisible because it contains spoilers:

Apparently during testing (and getting the ride profiles just right) one of the benches took out Aragog. I don't know to what extent, but yes, you do get very very close to everything on the ride. It might explain why Aragog is so static, lol.
I think I would have had a panic attack...or if jj's story happened to me.

I actually agree that the video quality seems very low. To me it's been blurry and very dark. I think I was always on the far right side of the bench though so maybe that has something to do with it. I really enjoy FJ but for me the video quality definitely had me coming off the ride a little confused how that would happen on such a huge ride.

I suspect this has been discussed on one of the many threads, but where is the video source for the carousels? I am assuming it's projected. Is it from above? Below? Do the projectors travel on the ride vehicle, or another carousel synched with the dome screens? I ask this because it seems that the viewing angle must be extremely tight if there is such a distinct difference between the inner and outer seats.

It's attached right at the top of the screens. If you look quickly, while you transition from scene to dome, you can see the attached area where it projects from.

I suspect that the proximity and project angle necessary to have the images not be shadowed by the ride vehicle, create the need for an extreme lens to compensate. Perhaps it is this lens which restricts the viewing angle.

I've never had an iffy with the quality nor the lighting, but the motion blur just caught me so off-guard because it, like everything else, made it just even more real than before. My latest ride, however, made me notice that as you fly by the towers right before you reach Hagrid, the natural curvature of the domes creates a distortion, making the tower look bent if you look to the left. I always thought they could fix it, but it would take lots of math. It's just very quick, though, so you don't really notice it.

On an unrelated note, I feel that the ride could use more music in various locations to allow for the experience to shine much more, like, for example, the dragon scene could have suspenseful brass with soft drums to convey the uneasiness and lost feeling you have when you're taken inside the bridge with the wood being all charred and broken. Or, perhaps, the dementors scene could really use some screechy violins to just make it that much more creepy. All things, in addition to a couple others, that could really benefit the riders' experiences.

Having not yet ridden FJ, I am surprised to hear that it isn't "more" scored. I am really looking forward to visiting soon and finally having the experience first hand.

I agree about it being lower-quality, and I've ridden FJ 13 times. Each time I rode, I was surprised that it wasn't at all more high-quality. It was almost like watching some YouTube video at 360p instead of watching some HD, like it should've been...

I think its the fact that you go from light outside, to the dark of the dungeons, then the intense brightness of the greenhouse, then the darkness of the following rooms makes some people see the video screens not to its actual quality as the eye needs to adjust each time to the change in light.

I think its the fact that you go from light outside, to the dark of the dungeons, then the intense brightness of the greenhouse, then the darkness of the following rooms makes some people see the video screens not to its actual quality as the eye needs to adjust each time to the change in light.

You're inside for a good twenty minutes before the loading station though.

The videos are just fine. They aren't super HD or anything but they still succeed in making you feel as if you are inside the video. The transitions to the live scenes are also pretty flawless. Overall FJ is a fine example of modern technology in its peak.