Wicked (2024 film) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Wicked (2024 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m not sure why I’m in the minority on this frankly, people seem to want to hate this film either cause they hate Ariana or people just need something to hate.

Or, like myself, they found the show a long bore. But I hope you and all of the fans love it, truly. Nothing better than something that gets its hooks into you and brings you joy.

I'm a big fan of Hadestown and look forward to that adaptation.

Or, like myself, they found the show a long bore. But I hope you and all of the fans love it, truly. Nothing better than something that gets its hooks into you and brings you joy.

I'm a big fan of Hadestown and look forward to that adaptation.
Ya that’s fair, it’s not my feelings that people aren’t allowed to dislike Wicked. It just feels like not just on here, but a lot of online discourse is heavily against this film.

Reactions: mks
My gripe is that it's split into two parts. That is what turned me off from this adaptation. It just feels so unnecessary when it could've easily just been fleshed out to be 3hrs instead.

But it allows Universal the double-dip for sales. So whatever.

Reactions: Clive
As a massive fan of the show and the original 1939 Wizard of Oz film, I thought I would add my thoughts. I think even as a fan I could see Act 1 running slow and Act 2 running too fast. The critiques on the film being split into two parts in confusing to me. One, they are keeping all the songs and even adding new parts to them, along with part 2 having two new songs, one for Glinda and one for Elphaba. Two, most musical movies cut songs. Also, when adapting to film you have to take into account how much cinematography will eat up run time. Establishing shots of Shiz or Emerald City will add up. Also, the pacing will be different in terms of acting and comedic timing. Also based on casting notices we know that there will be a young Nessarose which would also imply a young Elphaba, which in total implies a deeper look into their childhood. Act 1 is getting the least amount of additions from what I can guess. Act 2 is getting the new songs as I mentioned and also seems like more of the Wizard of Oz story will be intertwined. Also, they've hinted at more influences from the Wicked book. The way I look at the project overall is Universal is attempting to unify Oz canon pulling from the original books (which is why we see Silver Shoes) also the 1939 movie (as much as they can without getting sued) and finally both the Wicked books and Wicked the stage show. I think the goal is to appeal to Oz fans across the board with a reintroduction to the world of Oz without it being a reboot or remake.