Will Another Coaster Ever Be Built At Universal? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Will Another Coaster Ever Be Built At Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Indoor or small very themed family coasters, yes. They don't really have the space to waste on a large unthemed coaster. That's not Universal's thing anymore, nor does it need to be. The Hulk & Rocket are sufficient for their needs. I imagine Dragons won't exist in the near future.
HRRR is easily the best use of space for a big, unthemed coaster. The land it sits on is so tight, nothing else could ever be built on it anyway. Whether people like the ride or not is another discussion, but HRRR makes good use of otherwise unusable space.

Unless it is highly themed or indoors I don't see it happening...Universal is trying to shed that image...

I don't think Universal is trying to shed that image. IoA's mix of high thrills and high-tech dark rides is what made it an attractive alternative to Disney. Universal attracts lots of families with teens because of this.

I do agree that BgT and SWO have much better coasters, though. I love Mako.

HRRR is easily the best use of space for a big, unthemed coaster. The land it sits on is so tight, nothing else could ever be built on it anyway. Whether people like the ride or not is another discussion, but HRRR makes good use of otherwise unusable space.
Yes, only a coaster could fit in that spot. However, I don't know why they went with some no-name manufacturer. I guess they needed a vertical lift system, but still...

It also renovated a portion of space around an area that was somewhat dated and was a waste to a new area that has been used constantly for many performances ever since it was launched.

Reactions: Nick
It also renovated a portion of space around an area that was somewhat dated and was a waste to a new area that has been used constantly for many performances ever since it was launched.
Yes, the concert yard really has been a huge boon for Universal.

A Hyper is something they could build and not take up the same space as Hulk or DC. They can be laid out so that paths can go underneath. Actually they can have them go over buildings or about anything. The station area would need some dedicated space, but the rest can work around the rest of the park. Hypers tend to be more popular too as they don't typically go upside down. Height reqs are still there, but they can probably get that down to at least 48". Granted this would probably only happen at the new park, and I have my doubts if it would happen at all. But if theres a big coaster in the future, I'd think that would be what we'd see.

Reactions: Chase3
New park would be the only place I could see one going, but trying to think of which property could even get a coaster unless it's an original.

We could have had a Hollywood Dream if Universal was more patient but we got stuck with Rockit instead.

I don't think Universal is trying to shed that image. IoA's mix of high thrills and high-tech dark rides is what made it an attractive alternative to Disney. Universal attracts lots of families with teens because of this.

I do agree that BgT and SWO have much better coasters, though. I love Mako.
Sure, but they have moved on from things like Dueling Dragons and Hulk...RRR was a quick fix to needing a cheap ride before the boy wizard came..I think Universal has moved from an alternate to Disney to completely ignoring them..They are shedding the image of an add-on to a Disney vacation..

I think the 3rd park will have one or two big coasters. They're going to want to attract every type of park goer from the thrill chasers to families and big coasters do that.

Japan recently added Dinosaur so anything could bE possible at the current parks

Sure, but they have moved on from things like Dueling Dragons and Hulk...RRR was a quick fix to needing a cheap ride before the boy wizard came..I think Universal has moved from an alternate to Disney to completely ignoring them..They are shedding the image of an add-on to a Disney vacation..
RRR was added because Studios lacked an outdoor coaster or anything very thrilling. I'm not sure why you think it was a quick, cheap fix. It cost 45 million.

Yah, they are trying to get vacationers to ignore Disney on their trip to Universal if that's what you meant.

Rip ride rocket is a terrible eye sore though. They really should have made it slightly smaller and covered it in Cardboard skyscrapers.

RRR was added because Studios lacked an outdoor coaster or anything very thrilling. I'm not sure why you think it was a quick, cheap fix. It cost 45 million.

Yah, they are trying to get vacationers to ignore Disney on their trip to Universal if that's what you meant.
How much did Spiderman cost? FJ? Kong? I mean I certainly couldn't afford RRR, but a theme park like Universal can, probably twice...At the time they were in dire-straights...I think people forget how bad it got in 2008-09

Also, cheap has multiple meanings in this instance

I think you bring up a great question about it...what would a new Universal coaster look like today?

Reactions: Andysol
Yes, only a coaster could fit in that spot. However, I don't know why they went with some no-name manufacturer. I guess they needed a vertical lift system, but still...

Maurer-Sohne is actually fairly well known for coasters and vertical lifts are made by a number of designers, including Intamin. My guess is that they went a little less expensive for HRRR. My main question for that coaster is, why all the trim brakes? Seems like it kills all the speed and the ride experience.

Anyway, I think that they'll add a great coaster when they build Fast and Furious. Oh wait...:angry:

Maurer-Sohne is actually fairly well known for coasters and vertical lifts are made by a number of designers, including Intamin. My guess is that they went a little less expensive for HRRR. My main question for that coaster is, why all the trim brakes? Seems like it kills all the speed and the ride experience.

Anyway, I think that they'll add a great coaster when they build Fast and Furious. Oh wait...:angry:
Ironically, Maurer-Sohne was a second choice for Rockit....Someone else was busy *glares at B&M*.....

I think a coaster at the existing parks would take up to much valuable real estate needed for future expansion of more important ip based stuff. I definitely want to see them pick a few known good coaster designs this time for the new park. A decently themed intamin launch and something from RMC would be great.

Reactions: Scott W.
I think a coaster at the existing parks would take up to much valuable real estate needed for future expansion of more important ip based stuff. I definitely want to see them pick a few known good coaster designs this time for the new park. A decently themed intamin launch and something from RMC would be great.
An RMC would be amazing

I think that they wanted to accommodate lots of trains on the track to increase capacity, but since the moving walkway only works half the time they aren't much help.

Reactions: SkiBum

I can see an RMC going some where in Orlando in the next 5 years. The rides are fantastic.