Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Will Disney replace Muppet-Vision 3-D?

Since a new show is coming to Disney plus what will be the muppets future at DHS? Will they get a new ride, show, or restaurant?
I would love to see that but we first have to see if the new Muppet Show on Disney+ will be any good. Most of Disney's effort with the Muppets failed.

I would love to see that but we first have to see if the new Muppet Show on Disney+ will be any good. Most of Disney's effort with the Muppets failed.
I think any new film that would potentially replace MuppetVision (assuming it's Muppet related still) wouldn't move the needle much at all more than the amount of people who already attend the show as these style of 4D shows are going out of style and this was also Jim Henson's last piece of work and tbh the new guy who voices Kermit (just took over a few years ago) sounds a little off.

Personally, i'd love it if they just did a complete gut of the inside of the show building with maybe a little extension (there's room near the park boundaries, bordering on the RotR) and put a Muppet-themed omnimover/dark ride in there about on the same scale as the SLoP omnimover that's currently being built at USH. At this point the film is getting dated, but I also don't see it as worth it to create a new film when guests won't care too much. I'd rather the showbuilding be used in a better way.

MuppetVision is one of my all time favorite theme park attractions and still the most effective 3D I've ever seen, I'd be pretty devastated to see it go. It also seems pretty packed every time I go, so I'm not sure why you'd get rid of it. I'd love a Muppet dark ride but I want it in addition to the show, make a little Muppet land. I also adore the Indy stunt show but it makes since why you would get rid of a behind the scenes show if you are putting in a in-fiction ride, they wouldn't really fit together but the Muppet stuff would.

It may be blasphemy, but I would love to see Star Tours and Muppetvision go down if it means another huge themed area a la Pandora or GE. Both have had their time in the sun and honestly just feel like they’re on borrowed time.

Muppet*Vision 3D Full Show Animatic WDI (1991)

Muppet*Vision 3D is a 3D film attraction located at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Directed by Jim Henson, the attraction consists of a pre-show which then leads into Kermit the Frog guiding park guests on a tour through Muppet Studios, while the Muppets prepare their sketch acts to demonstrate their new breakthrough in 3D film technology. The show, however, completely unravels when Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's experimental 3D sprite, Waldo, causes mayhem during the next portion of the show.

The attraction—which opened as Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D on May 16, 1991 at Disney's Hollywood Studios (then Disney-MGM Studios)—incorporates the 3D film in conjunction with in-theater 4D effects, such as Audio-Animatronics, lighting, projections, smoke, soap bubbles, and a live full-bodied performer. Muppet*Vision 3D had a subsequent incarnation open at Disney California Adventure on February 8, 2001 and operated at the park until November 1, 2014.

Muppet*Vision 3D is the main attraction of Grand Avenue of Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I know people got spooked a few months ago when Disney removed a mural from MuppetVision (and took a WDWNT report on it to imply that Disney was about to close the attraction, which I don't believe was ever suggested). Orlando Rising reported that Disney has no plans to close it: Disney: ‘MuppetVision 3D will continue’ despite mural being removed - Orlando Rising

There's so many unknowns with the Muppets brand to make a firm determination on this show's future. What if a Muppets show comes to Disney+ and is a big hit? Do you leave this attraction alone or update it? Then there's the rest of the park to consider. DHS can't afford to lose what little capacity it has for at least the first year of Galaxy's Edge being open. Even then, wouldn't replacing Launch Bay with a real attraction be a higher priority? That could mean MuppetVision is safe through at least the 50th anniversary year and then all bets are off.

I know people got spooked a few months ago when Disney removed a mural from MuppetVision (and took a WDWNT report on it to imply that Disney was about to close the attraction, which I don't believe was ever suggested). Orlando Rising reported that Disney has no plans to close it: Disney: ‘MuppetVision 3D will continue’ despite mural being removed - Orlando Rising

There's so many unknowns with the Muppets brand to make a firm determination on this show's future. What if a Muppets show comes to Disney+ and is a big hit? Do you leave this attraction alone or update it? Then there's the rest of the park to consider. DHS can't afford to lose what little capacity it has for at least the first year of Galaxy's Edge being open. Even then, wouldn't replacing Launch Bay with a real attraction be a higher priority? That could mean MuppetVision is safe through at least the 50th anniversary year and then all bets are off.

What is Orlando Rising and are they a trustworthy site? I just heard of them yesterday.

What is Orlando Rising and are they a trustworthy site? I just heard of them yesterday.

Sorry to pop in on Inside Universal's board, but I saw the site was being linked to on here and wanted to answer this question myself.

I'm John Gregory, owner and operator of Orlando Rising. I started reporting on Orlando tourism and theme parks for the site in April 2018, when it was a general local news and politics site. It's now totally focused on Orlando theme parks.

As to whether we're trustworthy, I certainly aim to be. I've worked in journalism professionally for more than 8 years, and my goal is to do more responsible and credibly sourced reporting than some other fan sites (that's in no way directed at Inside Universal, Brian and co. do things right), and not focus on promoting the parks or covering every new limited-time snack or piece of merch.

In the case of this Muppets story, we got a Disney spokesperson on the record explaining the mural removal wasn't a site of MuppetVision's imminent demise, and three additional comments from theme park and Muppets experts, including Disney World's former casting director at the time MuppetVision opened.

Hope that answers your question! And apologies to Brian for coming on this board to talk about my site.

Sorry to pop in on Inside Universal's board, but I saw the site was being linked to on here and wanted to answer this question myself.

I'm John Gregory, owner and operator of Orlando Rising. I started reporting on Orlando tourism and theme parks for the site in April 2018, when it was a general local news and politics site. It's now totally focused on Orlando theme parks.

As to whether we're trustworthy, I certainly aim to be. I've worked in journalism professionally for more than 8 years, and my goal is to do more responsible and credibly sourced reporting than some other fan sites (that's in no way directed at Inside Universal, Brian and co. do things right), and not focus on promoting the parks or covering every new limited-time snack or piece of merch.

In the case of this Muppets story, we got a Disney spokesperson on the record explaining the mural removal wasn't a site of MuppetVision's imminent demise, and three additional comments from theme park and Muppets experts, including Disney World's former casting director at the time MuppetVision opened.

Hope that answers your question! And apologies to Brian for coming on this board to talk about my site.

Hey John thanks for the reply. Sorry for my blunt question, I hadn’t have heard of y’all till very recently. On the forums we see a lot of sites get referenced as news and fact when they just pass along rumors and speculation. Thanks for the honest and direct feedback and welcome to the forums!

Hey John thanks for the reply. Sorry for my blunt question, I hadn’t have heard of y’all till very recently. On the forums we see a lot of sites get referenced as news and fact when they just pass along rumors and speculation. Thanks for the honest and direct feedback and welcome to the forums!

No problem at all, your question was direct and appropriate.

Part of the reason I started doing this is because of all the reporting that amounts to just rumors and speculation, with sites not naming a source or correcting their mistakes when their initial reporting ends up being wrong. I think theme park fans deserve something better.

It’s always a heart stopping moment to see anything Muppetvision in a headline.

WDWNT are reporting that it’s going down for a refurb at the end of the month for a few weeks to get upgraded seats and curtains.

If it’s one thing that DHS needs right now, it’s less rides.

It’s always a heart stopping moment to see anything Muppetvision in a headline.

WDWNT are reporting that it’s going down for a refurb at the end of the month for a few weeks to get upgraded seats and curtains.

Sound like something they could do in third shift to me.

They did just open 4 new rides in the last year and a half with one more coming online in less than two months. They desperately needed rides, but the park is actually in decent shape right now.

It could always have more, but losing one of their least attended attractions for a few weeks isn’t really going to change the park experience whatsoever.

If Disney ever gained the Marvel rights back to use in WDW (Which will not be happening anytime soon) I could see MuppetVision along with Star Tours being demolished and used for a Florida version of Avengers campus with a Web Slingers like ride going in Muppets spot and a E ticket where Star Tours is.