Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

Well.. I've been to Island of Adventures a couple of times. And I always thought that LC was the least interesting land of the park, except Duelling Dragons (now, Dragon Challenge). For me, Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad Stunt Show are just ordinary attractions with some cool pyrotechnic elements. Just that. I may sound suspicious, because I'm a huge Harry Potter fan... But, for me, and expansion through LC is inevitable. Now, LC it's literally lost in the park. LOL

It doesn't make sense anymore, at least for me.

What they have now is all they need.

Unfortunately it's not. IoA and Uni in general have always had problems trying to lure guests away from the Mouse and trying to up their attendance, and HP is something that has already done that. And you better bet they want to ride that train as long as it will run. The more Potter the better for them.

Enjoy LC while you can.

Oh, and the deconstruction permit? My gut tells me it's Rockit...

Last edited:

Has that ever happened in the history of a major theme park??? A major new attraction being taken out? Regarding my post, I know that those who are contracted are not in the biz of dismantling roller coasters; only concrete and steel (rebar and such). I disagree on Rockit... but also have no idea of its future... and could care less.

Okay I was never "offended" by anyone. Just don't pass judgement on something you've never experienced. It's common sense.

What they have now is all they need. Improve everything by adding little touches, advertising some of the things that are hidden like LC's specialty stores, And you have a perfect, diverse theme park environment.

Remember how peeved the mayor of London was when the WWoHP opened? Imagine him if we build a London theme park area! :lol:

I just got Retro Fitted! :whoo:

retro1.jpg

Well then he should be mad about Disney's "English" area at EPCOT, shouldn't he xD... Manta, I'm sorry to say, LC does NOT bring in money. Sure, Mythos is very popular, and it brings in a hefty number of guests. But IOA's attendance has skyrocketed, and their merchandising sales are through the roof. They want to try to A. Increase it (which may be possible), and B. Keep getting that amount of merchandising sales as long as they can. And why not do that through Potter? Sure, LC is a great island, I've been through it before and I do like it. But that being said, and from the bottom of my theme park/HP heart, I think it's inevitable that the LC is going to go. And once again, that is the way it looks right now...

Well then he should be mad about Disney's "English" area at EPCOT, shouldn't he xD... Manta, I'm sorry to say, LC does NOT bring in money. Sure, Mythos is very popular, and it brings in a hefty number of guests. But IOA's attendance has skyrocketed, and their merchandising sales are through the roof. They want to try to A. Increase it (which may be possible), and B. Keep getting that amount of merchandising sales as long as they can. And why not do that through Potter? Sure, LC is a great island, I've been through it before and I do like it. But that being said, and from the bottom of my theme park/HP heart, I think it's inevitable that the LC is going to go. And once again, that is the way it looks right now...

Well said Frogki. Bottom line is the bottom line. A theme park is fantasy. When one fantasy isn't selling and another IS, which fantasy is a major company going to go with and scribble out the other?

Seriously, if I hear another "Rockit will be demolished" statement again, I will go crazy. :bang:

At the moment it will be less likely to demo Lost Continent than it would be Rockit.

Lost Continent is Operational and Making money..Rockit isin't.

even IF Potter was going to expand plans would not be filmed do demo LC now or any time soon at all. They are going to milk all the work they did for years and rightfully so.

Seriously guys..not even five months old yet.

^^^^&^^ Agreed.

What I would like to see:
The Arabian area of the Lost Continent get split up.
The Lost Continent would become a new area, something along the lines of Atlantis that has rose up from the sea. Just completely themed to ocean mythology. Half of Arabian area would be part of this change. PF would be dumped, and a new ride, water coaster, would take it's place.
The other side of the Arabian section would become an expansion of WWHP, which would have Diagonally.
That, I think, would be awesome.

Does anyone note that I am not dreaming of what they might do? A few of us might be trying to justify the idea... but I have no interest "right now" of knowing where they will take it. UC has already and once again may prove its metal. I just want to see another 200-300 million spent... I love seeing that... turns me on. Call me weird. Disney always cuts back on original ideas, Uni seldom does. Disney creamed Uni back in 2004 with the Magical express. Uni had nothing up their sleeves. That is marketing defeating creativity. It was a grand move. Now Uni has the trick up their sleeve.

BTW... if you think Magical Express bus transport was clever. Imagine Hogwarts Magic Express bus service from the airport. If Uni hasn't thought of this already, then shame on them. Kids will be screaming and crying on the magical express if they see their other choice was Hogwarts.

Last edited:
A bus fitted to be Knight Bus decked out to look likt the Knight Bus (with realistic expecations for capacity and effiency of course) would be better.

Not this Christmas but next holiday season...get ready.

It took 11 years for IOA to get a major expansion. If WWOHP Phase II happens, it certainly would not be doubling in size. The legacy of the Harry Potter series will not be strong enough to justify doubling WWOHP.

WWOHP was built as an all-encompassing land. If there was to be a Phase II, or if they ever wanted the possibility of a Phase II, they would have left something huge out of Phase I, and they didn't. I honestly don't think J.K. Rowling would sign on to Phase II, because she seems satisfied with what's been built. WWOHP will preserve her legacy.

We all agree on the state of LC, but just because WWOHP is successful and the question was asked in a survey means nothing. Maybe sometime in the very near future there will be a small avenue added to WWOHP, but I assure you that Potter is not going to take over the rest of LC because nothing significant was left out of Phase I. Even the great minds on the project couldn't make a Phase II any better than Phase I without copying themselves. Let's just enjoy this wonderful new land and speculate on the future of LC. The books are complete, the movies have finished filming, and WWOHP is an all-encompassing finished masterpiece.

Tell the Universal Executives, shareholders, JKR, Warner Brothers, hotel managers, merchandise reps, paying guests, rabid fans etc... That HP isn't strong enough to double it.

Unfortunately it's not. IoA and Uni in general have always had problems trying to lure guests away from the Mouse and trying to up their attendance, and HP is something that has already done that. And you better bet they want to ride that train as long as it will run. The more Potter the better for them.

Enjoy LC while you can.

These comments are really getting annoying. Stop acting like you something everyone else doesn't unless you really do. It'd be fine if you said you think blah blah blah. Sorry for sounding rude that's not usually how I am.

And you misunderstood my post. I meant that I think what they have now can be manipulated into a great thing, instead of spending more millions to replace for the sake of replacing.

For the sequel to a movie comment, how many sequels have you seen that are better than the original? I've seen none. A phase 2 will not be better that the original so people will be disappointed. There won't be nearly the kind of attendence they saw on June 18th 2010 just by word of mouth that it's mediocre. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: grizzlybarely
Perhaps I should clarify what I meant to say.

1) The Wizarding World just opened months ago, which means a Phase II would not open for years. With the books finished and the film series to be fully released in less than a year, will a theme park area that takes up about a quarter of the size of Islands of Adventure be relevant for decades? It takes a strong franchise to justify the theme park attraction; how often does a single franchise gets its own theme park section?

2) Of the parts of the series that haven't been told in WWOHP "Phase I", do anything of them even justify a theme park attraction? I guess I originally meant to say "of what's left"? Forbidden Journey is a medley of Harry's life, of his adventures throughout the books. Universal wouldn't add a Phase II unless they could improve upon Phase I, and they already told all of their best stories in Phase I. If Phase II happens, it will be worse, or only a slight enhancement.

3) I never meant to say the HP was a weak franchise; it clearly isn't because it's exceedingly rare for a single franchise to be granted a theme park land. But look at what's been done before. Marvel Superhero Island has been there since the park's inception. Marvel Comics has thousands more characters than Potter has, yet at MSHI we only see the most popular. Dr. Seuss created the most popular children's characters of his time, and only the most popular have a presence. The Simpsons, America's longest running sitcom, got one ride. Add to the list E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park, and many more.

4) Understand that few of the people that visit WWOHP are HP fans. You're lucky if the typical guest knows what a dementor is, let alone what The Leaky Cauldron or the Ministry of Magic are.

I think it was a great decision to add Potter as a theme park land, and the series has the cultural presence to justify a theme park section, but I don't think it has the presence to justify two. WWOHP is a masterpiece.

Reactions: mantaguy

1) The Wizarding World just opened months ago, which means a Phase II would not open for years. With the books finished and the film series to be fully released in less than a year, will a theme park area that takes up about a quarter of the size of Islands of Adventure be relevant for decades? It takes a strong franchise to justify the theme park attraction; how often does a single franchise gets its own theme park section?

2) Of the parts of the series that haven't been told in WWOHP "Phase I", do anything of them even justify a theme park attraction? I guess I originally meant to say "of what's left"? Forbidden Journey is a medley of Harry's life, of his adventures throughout the books. Universal wouldn't add a Phase II unless they could improve upon Phase I, and they already told all of their best stories in Phase I. If Phase II happens, it will be worse, or only a slight enhancement.

3) I never meant to say the HP was a weak franchise; it clearly isn't because it's exceedingly rare for a single franchise to be granted a theme park land. But look at what's been done before. Marvel Superhero Island has been there since the park's inception. Marvel Comics has thousands more characters than Potter has, yet at MSHI we only see the most popular. Dr. Seuss created the most popular children's characters of his time, and only the most popular have a presence. The Simpsons, America's longest running sitcom, got one ride. Add to the list E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park, and many more.

4) Understand that few of the people that visit WWOHP are HP fans. You're lucky if the typical guest knows what a dementor is, let alone what The Leaky Cauldron or the Ministry of Magic are.

I think it was a great decision to add Potter as a theme park land, and the series has the cultural presence to justify a theme park section, but I don't think it has the presence to justify two. WWOHP is a masterpiece.

Thank you and you're so right. Potter doesn't deserve more attention than any other popular franchise.

With the mention of the last movies coming out, I do believe there will be a small addition after DH. I don't know what, but Orlando Attractions Magazine quoted a Uni rep saying a "sort of portkey" will be added after DH comes out.

Why do you say that? Harry Potter fans might not be the "typical" guests at a theme park, but honestly, I hear mentions of Harry Potter at least once every few weeks if not days. Yesterday I was in Wal Mart and I heard someone talking about Harry Potter out of the blue. And once again, understand that it would NOT be any larger than LC was minus the giant Hogwarts castle (and if Van Helsing had happened it would have been exactly the same size), so don't say "it doesn't deserve two sections" because that's NOT what it would get.

Status
Not open for further replies.