Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, that's not my style.

:)

Even if it were, my inbox would remain empty for about... say 4-8 years? Possibly 10? This is nothing new folks. Theme parks have had major additions all the time, and never once in the history of theme parks, has something expanded over another land within 2-5 years of it being opened. This is Harry Potter. It's popular now, but will that make it popular in 2025? Most likely not. Look at the older theme parks in Orlando now, you think any of those little kids have any idea of the things in Universal Studios? And I myself, being a huge Harry Potter fan, don't believe in a Phase II of WWoHP. Sorry to let you down. :(

Last edited:
Even if it were, my inbox would remain empty for about... say 4-8 years? Possibly 10? This is nothing new folks. Theme parks have had major additions all the time, and never once in the history of theme parks, has something expanded over another land within 2-5 years of it being opened. This is Harry Potter. It's popular now, but will that make it popular in 2025? Most likely not. Look at the older theme parks in Orlando now, you think any of those little kids have any idea of the things in Universal Studios? And I myself, being a huge Harry Potter fan, don't believe in a Phase II of WWoHP. Sorry to let you down. :(

This is what I mean when I say you're underestimating it. You keep comparing Potter to other franchises or lands, whereas I and others here realize that its popularity is pretty much in another league, and therefore cannot be compared to anything else in the history of theme parks. We are saying there is no precedent for this, so history goes out the window when you are speculating about its future.

Last edited:
This is Harry Potter. It's popular now, but will that make it popular in 2025? Most likely not.

You're kidding...right? Is Star Wars still popular? How bout Indiana Jones? Or Star Trek?

Look at the older theme parks in Orlando now, you think any of those little kids have any idea of the things in Universal Studios? And I myself, being a huge Harry Potter fan, don't believe in a Phase II of WWoHP. Sorry to let you down. :(

Ummm...like the Magic Kingdom? It's the oldest theme park in Orlando.

And you're right, none of those kids remember Snow White or Peter Pan or Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast.

all those properties are still very popular, and none if them made nearly as much money or nearly as many people into them.

You're kidding...right? Is Star Wars still popular? How bout Indiana Jones? Or Star Trek?

Ummm...like the Magic Kingdom? It's the oldest theme park in Orlando.

And you're right, none of those kids remember Snow White or Peter Pan or Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast.

all those properties are still very popular, and none if them made nearly as much money or nearly as many people into them.

And at the time, during their peak of popularity... none of them expanded until now. 40 years later. :lol:

This is what I mean when I say you're underestimating it. You keep comparing Potter to other franchises or lands, whereas I and others here realize that its popularity is pretty much in another league, and therefore cannot be compared to anything else in the history of theme parks. We are saying there is no precedent for this, so history goes out the window when you are speculating about its the future.

:iagree: As much as I don't want an expansion, it is inevitable. Do I believe it will be DA? No. But a phase 2 will happen within 5-10 years. No doubt about it.

Page 23 is where this thread's large debate started. The doubts started to roll in, and the most basic defiant reasons that a Phase II of HP is more than likely not happening.

And at the time, during their peak of popularity... none of them expanded until now. 40 years later. :lol:

I would argue that those franchises, at the peak of their popularity, still don't match Potter's today.
The only franchise JungleSkip mentioned that comes close is Star Wars, and what did that attraction do for Hollywood Studios when it opened? It didn't have nearly the financial impact or the media attention. So still no precedent.

Wow this thread just keeps going round and round and round :lol:
I don't think people should be too damning of talk about Diagon Alley, as far as I'm aware everything is still a possibility at the moment so what's the harm in talking about what we'd like to see. I don't 100% like the idea of DA either, but it's still a possibility for the expansion so what's the harm in sharing a few ideas and discussing them. That seems more fun than going round and round about whether it will happen because that discussion won't go anywhere until any new information comes out.

This debate sort of reminds me when Disney fans were adament that Universal could never land "Potter" back when the rumors first started firing up. As far as the Diagon Alley argument, the only reason I see it being added is because there is no way Universal won't miss a chance for more merchandise opportunities and DA would be the next logical addition for that.

large scale Phase II expansion is just beyond unrealistic at this stage.

This is definitely not unrealistic. I can assure you it's being worked on right now.

I do like the idea of a Gringotts coaster, or at least changing the Sindbad show to a Wizarding Duels show. Having more shops would be good as the ones they have are small, even if items cross over (not a bad thing as if one shop is busy you know there's another option).

Unless this is going to have happened by next year or early the year after (which I really doubt), I likely won't get to see the expansion for a lot of years (with family etc.)

This debate sort of reminds me when Disney fans were adament that Universal could never land "Potter" back when the rumors first started firing up. As far as the Diagon Alley argument, the only reason I see it being added is because there is no way Universal won't miss a chance for more merchandise opportunities and DA would be the next logical addition for that.
Adding more shops selling the same exact things is not going to sell more merch in the long run. Right now, since its so crowded, it would. But when people go to visit the expansion, most of them will have already gone to the WW and bought merch. Also, in 10 years when the WW isn't as popular there would just be a million almost dead shops, all selling the same thing.

Thats why the new shops will sell a mixture of new and old merch. For example a quills shop, a Divination shop, a book shop, an ice cream parlor I think they have in the book as well.

So there are certainly a lot more stuff they can sell and come up with.

Thats why the new shops will sell a mixture of new and old merch. For example a quills shop, a Divination shop, a book shop, an ice cream parlor I think they have in the book as well.

So there are certainly a lot more stuff they can sell and come up with.
I don't think Uni would do anything besides the ice cream parlor, even if DA would happen. Can you really fill a shop with just quills and other writing tools? How about just Divination stuff? What could they sell? Crystal balls, maybe tea cups? And there are only three books written by Jo besides the original 7, and I doubt she would either write a billion more (the encyclopedia is probably gonna happen, but thats not even 101%) or let someone else write books from the HP universe.

Thats what I'm saying, maybe a school supply store that combines it all together is possible, maybe they add another branch of Ollivanders...please:pray:

But what the expansion is would be anybodys best guess.

maybe they add another branch of Ollivanders...please:pray:

As crowded as Ollivander's is, it will calm down in a few years, as less and less people really care. It will take a lot longer than the other shops, but it will calm down. There is no point in creating a copy of something to bring down crowds that will only be this bad for a few more years. Should they make a second FJ OR HRRR as well?

It won't calm down as much as we'd like because there are plenty of people around the world that won't be coming down for 2 - 3 years from now, and they have one showroom, they need at another two, and maybe even then they'll be able to lower the amount of people in there at the same time and make it even that much more intimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.