Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 584 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit to being disappointed twice about the updates the past week or so. First hearing that the intensity would be less than the Mummy, which I don't even think is all that intense. The Mummy is my favorite UO ride because it's not that intense . The second disappointment came upon reading that it's 3D driven. I knew there would be screens and sets, but I guess I figured it would be like FJ. Was really hoping UO would start moving away from screens being the primary driving force of their attractions.

That said, UO has wowed skeptical me many times before, so I'm still pretty confident in them wowing me again with this attraction. And in regards to the intensity of the ride, my rationale side realizes it's a good thing that they want more families to be able to ride this E-ticket attraction (along with the train). Just another step in making this one of the most complete theme parks resorts in the world.

2014 can't get here fast enough!

I have to admit to being disappointed twice about the updates the past week or so. First hearing that the intensity would be less than the Mummy, which I don't even think is all that intense. The Mummy is my favorite UO ride because it's not that intense . The second disappointment came upon reading that it's 3D driven. I knew there would be screens and sets, but I guess I figured it would be like FJ. Was really hoping UO would start moving away from screens being the primary driving force of their attractions.

It's not 3D driven. Sets will be more elaborate than FJ. According to the all knowing and powerful HTF, to whom we are all indebted, some are 5 stories tall.

Last edited:
I just don't get how everyone is reacting so drastically to the 'family' ride statement and the 3D. It's like people think they'll usher you into a grey room, sit you in a rocking chain, and start flipping a blue-and-red flip-book 5 inches from your face.

Spider-man is also family ride, and even though it's not a roller coaster. It's intense, because it's not solely about acceleration and deceleration, but about seeing, hearing, and feeling. If you overwhelm the senses, you trick in intensity and create a new reality. That's why in a good film story it pulls you in and let's you forget about your own reality, and why action sequences in quick bursts are so entertaining, because they pull you in and spit you out just in time for you to want more.

That's what a theme park ride is, so even if your sitting in a theatre, or a coaster not much more intense than flight of the Hippogriff in a spiderman-esque dark ride, even the slightest bit of ridiculous like 3D glasses aren't a distraction because seeing is believing.

Last edited:
All I know is, I would love to see each of the cars in the Gringotts ride to have a Griphook AA attached to it. Imagine being harassed by a goblin during your trip down to the vaults.
Universal, make it happen.

I am so thrilled to hear that Gringotts will be an experience that will rival Spider-man's first ride. That post was amazing HTF. It reassured me that this ride will break new ground. IT will be immersive. It will have giant sets. I picture this ride what it could be/should be and I see it coming into fruition. My question would be, will the caverns/mines look real in the ride? I mean, huuuuge depth so when you look around it just puts you in awe of how huge the mines are. God, I hope so...

All I know is, I would love to see each of the cars in the Gringotts ride to have a Griphook AA attached to it. Imagine being harassed by a goblin during your trip down to the vaults.
Universal, make it happen.

I was literally just thinking about this. Although it would be cool to have a different Goblin for each car so in loading they don't look like they're being driven by clones.

I just don't get how everyone is reacting so drastically to the 'family' ride statement and the 3D. It's like people think they'll usher you into a grey room, sit you in a rocking chain, and start flipping a blue-and-red flip-book 5 inches from your face.

Spider-man is also family ride, and even though it's not a roller coaster. It's intense, because it's not solely about acceleration and deceleration, but about seeing, hearing, and feeling. If you overwhelm the senses, you trick in intensity and create a new reality. That's why in a good film story it pulls you in and let's you forget about your own reality, and why action sequences in quick bursts are so entertaining, because they pull you in and spit you out just in time for you to want more.

That's what a theme park ride is, so even if your sitting in a theatre, or a coaster not much more intense than flight of the Hippogriff in a spiderman-esque dark ride, even the slightest bit of ridiculous like 3D glasses aren't a distraction because seeing is believing.

I have nothing against 3D. I love Spiderman. I just don't think nearly the entire park needs to have 3D and screen simulator attractions. I know the rush and thrill that 3D/motion can bring, but I also know the thrill and rush that you get from set pieces, AAs, sound, and quick moving ride vehicles. And I don't think anything is wrong with hoping that this reportedly innovative attraction wouldn't require dropping glasses on your face to experience the innovation. It's not a knock on 3D itself, just speaks to the theme park lover in me wanting more diversity in the park with the E-tickets.

There are a good deal of people not moved with excitement about another 3D attraction and I think their concerns are more than valid. They react drastically because the hype for this attraction is through the roof. Hype that might leave someone a bit let down if it's more of the same.

That said, I don't believe this attraction will be more of the same. I'm still excited to see what Universal came up with. The mix of 3D, huge sets, and coaster tracks sounds like it's going to this parks marquee attraction for years to come. I'm sure I'll be smiling ear to ear when I ride it, glasses on or not.

Side note, this is probably a stupid and uninformed question, but is it possible that the ride will have 3D without requiring glasses? I know there is tech out there that have 3D displays without needing glasses to see them and (though not 3D) I remember the hologram Tupac image at a concert that had the internet buzzing for a few days. Was just wondering if it is 100% confirmed that this ride will require glasses to see the 3D.

Last edited:
The Tupac image was a Musion effect, same as Dumbledore in the Forbidden Journey queue. I know there is a technology out that that can (supossedly) give you a 3D image withought glasses but thats from the perspective of a single person watching that special screen whereas in the Gringotts attraction you will have at lleast 12 people per train with 12 different perspectives so I would vote not likely on 3D withought glasses in this attraction. I've mentioned it before that I think it would be smart to make adjustable 3D flyerers goggles instead of the typical 3D glasses, this way it would be more theme appropriate, fit younger guests as well and stay on during the ride. As far as E tickets and too many screans or too much use of 3D goes, we have an amazing flight simulator with quick movement, huge sets and all kinds of thrills called Forbidden Journey and we STILL have people saying "whats the big deal? I don't get it, that ride wasn't anything special" can't please everyone, unfortunately.

3D is a separate argument, but there really shouldn't be disagreement over screens being used because that's the only way to show the actors/characters in a photo-realistic way. It's not like they would make an AA Helena Bonham Carter. :look:

I understand why some people are nervous about the overuse of screens, but when I hear HTF telling me there will be physical sets that are 5 stories tall, I don't care that there will be screens because it's obvious that there is much more to it than that.
But I will say, I can't wait to see more physical sets. I haven't been to Universal in many years, so it will be really nice to see how things have changed. WWoHP will be an interesting thing when both parts are completed.

I wish they would upgrade FJ to 3D. If anything just to lose the blur which I absolutely hate.

I don't notice anything remotely negative on FJ like other people do. And in my opinion Universal has enough 3D already especially with Gringotts coming. Side Note: The only dark ride that competes with Forbidden Journey in Florida would be Spider-Man. And I think overall Forbidden Journey takes the cake.

Last edited:
How can they do something like this without screens? Imagine going through Pirates of the Caribbean at 30 mph. All the AAs would be a big blur. I have faith that they will make the sets blend with the screens well.

How can they do something like this without screens? Imagine going through Pirates of the Caribbean at 30 mph. All the AAs would be a big blur. I have faith that they will make the sets blend with the screens well.

I've always felt like Pirates of the Caribbean could be such a better ride. Especially now that all the movies are out. But I do realize this ride is a classic to some and people love it for what it is.

I'm assuming it would be something like Mummy? Dark ride show scenes / coaster. In the show scenes is where I think everyone on here is having an issue with screens over sets. Nothing has really been confirmed yet, so who knows what's going to happen.

I think Universal uses screens a little too much. However, that's not the issue I have. My biggest thing is that they're adding another 3-D attraction. After Transformers, Studios will have 4 3-D attractions already. To me, that's already too many. Forcing people to wear uncomfortable 3-D glasses on half of your rides/attractions is unnecessary. Forbidden Journey and Mummy are 2 great rides that utilizes screens and yet no 3-D, why couldn't Gringotts do the same?

I think Universal uses screens a little too much. However, that's not the issue I have. My biggest thing is that they're adding another 3-D attraction. After Transformers, Studios will have 4 3-D attractions already. To me, that's already too many. Forcing people to wear uncomfortable 3-D glasses on half of your rides/attractions is unnecessary. Forbidden Journey and Mummy are 2 great rides that utilizes screens and yet no 3-D, why couldn't Gringotts do the same?

One thing that's good is at least Gringotts is an actual RIDE and not just a sit down 3D attraction and same goes for Transformers. But I think Gringotts is going to be so remarkable that the 3D thing is not even going to be a concern when its all said and done. And look at it this way Hogwarts Express is going to be an attraction with screens that doesn't use 3D. And it's funny because out of all the sit down 3D or 4D attractions Harry Potter was one I actually really wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.