Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 585 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
omg I think we need a new topic. No one seems to get it. The only reason forbidden journey works so well as a non 3D attraction is because the screens completely surround you. In Gringotts case the ride vehicles are too big (probably) for the same kind of perspective to work unless they bring the entire ride vehicle into a huge dome scene (which could very well happen in one or so scenes) but for th emost part I can see screens being integrated into the scenery to blend the real and the projection better in an attraction like this.

I think Universal uses screens a little too much. However, that's not the issue I have. My biggest thing is that they're adding another 3-D attraction. After Transformers, Studios will have 4 3-D attractions already. To me, that's already too many. Forcing people to wear uncomfortable 3-D glasses on half of your rides/attractions is unnecessary. Forbidden Journey and Mummy are 2 great rides that utilizes screens and yet no 3-D, why couldn't Gringotts do the same?

This was pretty much my feelings. i knew there would be screens because they filmed scenes with the actors. I just frowned a bit at the 3D bit. If people are saying it's not logistically possible without 3D then that's that.

omg I think we need a new topic. No one seems to get it. The only reason forbidden journey works so well as a non 3D attraction is because the screens completely surround you. In Gringotts case the ride vehicles are too big (probably) for the same kind of perspective to work unless they bring the entire ride vehicle into a huge dome scene (which could very well happen in one or so scenes) but for th emost part I can see screens being integrated into the scenery to blend the real and the projection better in an attraction like this.
I actually thought about that. It's definitely possible the entire ride vehicle could come to a part where the ride could be under a dome, giving it a 360° surrounding. Idk just thinking out loud

I know its been rumored that there will be a Fortescue ice cream shop in Diagon Alley, but how certain is it there will be one? I only recall it being mentioned once or twice. if so, I hope it will serve Butterbeer floats(ice cream sodas) I make them at home with vanilla ice cream and Reed's butterscotch beer(tastes very similar to WWOHP butterbeer) I can imagine they would sell like crazy.

In regards to how the 3D will be done yeah there will be variations of previous ride tech, but one way the 3D will be delivered is brand new and is one of the coolest concepts of the attraction.

In regards to how the 3D will be done yeah there will be variations of previous ride tech, but one way the 3D will be delivered is brand new and is one of the coolest concepts of the attraction.

This is very tantalizing! Hmmm, wracking my brains as to what new things they might do with 3D tech.

Hmmm. could we possibly see the first use of a screen attached to Kuka robotic arm?

This is why the Shanghai Disney version of Pirates is rumored to be more of a thrill ride, if my memory is correct.

sorry to sway off topic but, it would be one of my greatest dreams to design a newer, more flume-like Pirates ride with the latest tech and plot from the movies (in a NEW park, not to take away from the original)

Exciting. I've always thought it would be interesting to see what could be done with 3D projection on surfaces other than a standard screen, such as the effects they project on buildings that follow the architectural features. Or on steam/fog.

Last edited:
Sounds as if there may be some projection mapping... now, as cool as that is, I have never even heard of 3D projection mapping being done before. Would be a first.

(projection mapping is what they did to Hogwarts for the grand opening and something that was taken indoors on the new Disney Haunted whatever in whatever Asian country park it is in)

If you say it is, then I change my stance on the 3-D argument. It's going to be interesting to see how they add all these different ride elements together.

I've been critical on the amount of 3-D attractions Studios has/will have. I've got a solution: axe Shrek and T-2!

What if everything under the ride vehicle is some kind of screen? Adding a huge amount of depth to the surroundings. It would make it seem like were up hundreds of feet when we're not. Again just ideas

What if everything under the ride vehicle is some kind of screen? Adding a huge amount of depth to the surroundings. It would make it seem like were up hundreds of feet when we're not. Again just ideas

I was just going to post this. Love to see 3D used as set extension. What's cool is they have to animate the viewing direction of the cliffs as the rider passes over, with the deeper part moving in unison with the car, like the sun in the sky while in a moving vehicle. Well I thought it was cool, I just really like depth and angles.

Combination of all this tech could have the rider look down massive mile long cliff to see the distant dragon's abode, then enter a cave and go flying deeper using FJ style screens, only to come out right in front of the fire breather. Or something like that.

Sounds as if there may be some projection mapping... now, as cool as that is, I have never even heard of 3D projection mapping being done before. Would be a first.

(projection mapping is what they did to Hogwarts for the grand opening and something that was taken indoors on the new Disney Haunted whatever in whatever Asian country park it is in)

I'm intrigued by this concept, but it may look too unrealistic to be an improvement over basic 3D. On the other hand, it would make up for the focus of the human eye which obviously doesn't work on 3D movie depth.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are going to utilize 3D projections on transparent screens. This would allow them to integrate projected characters seemlessly inside real sets.

Last edited:
Bellatrix. Headmaster. Glasses.

Duh!

And SHE will be AMAZING!

Disclaimer: This is purely speculation on my part. But it seems pretty obvious to me. From the moment it was confirmed that this would be in 3D.

Last edited:
Will Bellatrix be pollyjuiced Hermione, though?
Same thing i was thinking. When they released that news of Helena bonham Carter reprising her role they also mentioned Rupert grint. Im assuming the story will be very similar to the one in the movie. Don't remember hearing anything about radcliff though

Cool, I think a 3D Musion Bellatrix would be worth the inconvenience of a pair of 3D glasses.

But OMG! It's just another screen.

Disclaimer: just purely speculation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.