Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they did start covering up the show building so, we no longer have a large white building in the background, and its not as obvious anymore (thank god!), but they've already shown that distance is not a big deal to them. The train station is also much closer to Hogworts than where it is in the park, smack dack in the middle of Hogsmeade. Their goal is bringing these places to life with as much realism as possible. Sometimes that reality has to be stretched a little bit to be brough to life. And one of those would be having Diagon Alley outside of Hogsmeade or even having the Burrow, the Forbidden Forrest or something right outside the gates. Some reality has to sacrificed in order for it to be done.

Exactly, and well said. It's a friggin theme park! If Violaplayer's idea was the case then we would have to fly by helicopter down a deep ravine next to a cascading waterfall to get to the main JP building. Animal Kingdom visitors do not want to walk 5000 miles from Asia to Africa to "make it feel real". If they want to do that then they will go to Africa and start walking (and swimming). In a themepark, anything can be where it looks best and works for the visiting public. Sorry to yap and argue... yet it is soooooooo me to do that very thing.

--- Update ---

However... I will agree with the most basic premise of what Viola said. It is very difficult to suspend your disbelief that you are on an island off the coast of Costa Rica with a Scottish Castle looming overhead. Uh uh girl, don't you be trying to sell that load of junk to me!!! *wags finger*

Sorry to yap and argue... yet it is soooooooo me to do that very thing. However... I will agree with the most basic premise of what Viola said. It is very difficult to suspend your disbelief that you are on an island off the coast of Costa Rica with a Scottish Castle looming overhead. Uh uh girl, don't you be trying to sell that load of junk to me!!! *wags finger*

Yeap Teebin, you're back for good :lol:

I'm not saying that it just feels better, I'm just saying that Rowling wouldn't allow it, lol. Besides, this is an interpretation of a story known by many more people than that of JP. I just think JP works in and of itself without the book's main story, but the Wizarding World needs the story to stay as its backbone.

And yeah, stay, Teebin. :)

I'm not saying that it just feels better, I'm just saying that Rowling wouldn't allow it, lol. Besides, this is an interpretation of a story known by many more people than that of JP. I just think JP works in and of itself without the book's main story, but the Wizarding World needs the story to stay as its backbone.

And yeah, stay, Teebin. :)

Yes but there are ways to make Diagon Alley fit, including a slow change to London from Diagon Alley and having a small Kings Cross station and a walkthrough of the train to the "train station" in Hogsmeade would work out very well...

It's completey different when you're traveling hundreds of miles from themed land to land vs. inside a single land. It would never work.

I forsee no drastic changes to the WWoHP and if any new attractions, surely not and e-ticket. The thing to do is make everything in the resort better like v!ola said, not create a bunch of attractions that have holes in the theming like the showbuilding, which still looks like crap.

But again, its a theme park, and to nitpick because the big white building USED to be visible is getting to be TOO anal, no offense guys.

The expansion they would do would be to add another attraction, and the crowds it will bring in will dictate it as an e ticket ride regardless if it deserves that designation or not. They easily could make another Ollivanders branch and have 3 show rooms to deal with crowds. Along with other well known shops.

It's completey different when you're traveling hundreds of miles from themed land to land vs. inside a single land. It would never work.

I forsee no drastic changes to the WWoHP and if any new attractions, surely not and e-ticket. The thing to do is make everything in the resort better like v!ola said, not create a bunch of attractions that have holes in the theming like the showbuilding, which still looks like crap.

I disagree, although I might agree with the comment about an E-Ticket (a Gringotts attraction would come close but it certainly wouldn't be an E-Ticket), you could definitely make Diagon Alley (and a small Kings Cross in London) fit. We shall see...

Now don't bite my head off, but I just don't want an HP expansion. What we have is wonderful. It's perfect in my mind. To add more would make the park as a whol too weighted on this theme. The balance would be totally screwed. Not everyone likes HP, believe it or not, and we have to please the general public in a theme park. WWoHP already has 3 major attractions, 5 if you count the street shows and Ollivander's, putting it right on par with all of the other islands on average. IoA is not Potterland with some other stuff, it's IoA.

Lastly, personally I don't see how you can say it's not if, it's when when there has been no solid evidence besides people's desires to back this rumor up.

Now don't bite my head off, but I just don't want an HP expansion. What we have is wonderful. It's perfect in my mind. To add more would make the park as a whol too weighted on this theme. The balance would be totally screwed. Not everyone likes HP, believe it or not, and we have to please the general public in a theme park. WWoHP already has 3 major attractions, 5 if you count the street shows and Ollivander's, putting it right on par with all of the other islands on average. IoA is not Potterland with some other stuff, it's IoA.

Lastly, personally I don't see how you can say it's not if, it's when when there has been no solid evidence besides people's desires to back this rumor up.

Firstly, and I addressed it before, the current WWoHP is the exact same footprint that the former LC area had, the difference is there are so many shops, instead of walkways, and the FJ building. LC was always the largest island in the park from the very beginning so if is WW takes over the arabian section of LC, thats not that much more space, so its not changing aesthetics much more anyways.

Just because you don't want it to expand doesn't mean it won't. I'm sorry, but Mantaguy, this has been coming on for a while. The reason we say this is because the Lost Continent is slowly slipping away, and it lost the only attraction (other than Mythos which everyone will have to say goodbye to) that drew people to it. You have to consider others opinions. No, not everyone loves Harry Potter. However, the franchise is HUGE. Universal saw that with it's first few months of sales. Many people DO love it. And because the LC isn't in the best shape (and only has two (sadly pathetic) attractions and a resturant), I see Harry Potter taking it over.

Firstly, and I addressed it before, the current WWoHP is the exact same footprint that the former LC area had, the difference is there are so many shops, instead of walkways, and the FJ building. LC was always the largest island in the park from the very beginning so if is WW takes over the arabian section of LC, thats not that much more space, so its not changing aesthetics much more anyways.

Jurassic Park is the largest island in area by a considerable amount, with the old Lost Continent in second. However, the reason the large LC worked was because it was almost like 3 different lands, all slightly different, but all with a central theme. HP is very different from it's neighboring islands' themes.

Merlin Woods was also the largest section of LC, making it prime use for the HP transition. However both Lost City and Sindbad Bazaar are quite small in their availiable area because they are pretty much straight forward instead of curving, and much tinier than all of Suess, the smallest island.

So basically, getting rid of Sindbad Bazaar would literally leave room only for 1 shop, 2 restaurants, and 1 show. I'd much rather see an improved LC than too much HP.

Well, this is all grand indeed. Personally, I don't care what they change as long as the overall effect is better than before. Add to that, I learned so much about the industry thanks... to... someone in the biz... that I met........... somewhere. (Felipe is coughing on his on beverage reading that) I loved the LC... but I am only so nostalgic... give these same people new jobs ripping their old designs down and building something new and better and more expensive and grand. Imagine, "hey guys, I know we paid you $30K to build the dragons, but we are tearing them down and building something new. We have a $190K contract for you." What would you say if that was your income??????

I sure hope this comes to pass. (more to say detailing the facts later)

Last edited:

You may not want it, which is fine, I can understand your point, but the amount of money this thing has pulled in is absurd, and in today's day and age, one thing matters for a company that's having financial issues is making more money, and here's your opportunity to do it.

Just because you don't want it to expand doesn't mean it won't. I'm sorry, but Mantaguy, this has been coming on for a while. The reason we say this is because the Lost Continent is slowly slipping away, and it lost the only attraction (other than Mythos which everyone will have to say goodbye to) that drew people to it. You have to consider others opinions. No, not everyone loves Harry Potter. However, the franchise is HUGE. Universal saw that with it's first few months of sales. Many people DO love it. And because the LC isn't in the best shape (and only has two (sadly pathetic) attractions and a resturant), I see Harry Potter taking it over.

:smiley: I always try to respect others opinions, and (this is the way I feel) this has not been repeated very recently on this thread. I've never said anyone elses opinions, were outright wrong, only that I don't agree, and I'ved only disproved facts.

And still you've produced no backable, undeniable facts to back those humble opinions. That is the reason I still don't agree with you all. LC has recently recieved major upkeep, including painting and effects returning to operation. This is not a sign of an island that is "slipping away."

I also loe the HP franchise. And I love they way they made it reality. But I think it's enough for now.

--- Update ---

You may not want it, which is fine, I can understand your point, but the amount of money this thing has pulled in is absurd, and in today's day and age, one thing matters for a company that's having financial issues is making more money, and here's your opportunity to do it.

Why spend thousands of dollars tearing down and rebuilding when the thing you already have, as you so rightly said, is making buckets of income? I would think that a good strategy would be to add a minor addition, which I never ruled out, so that they can advertise something new to get all the people that came originally to come back and spend even more.

:smiley: I always try to respect others opinions, and (this is the way I feel) this has not been repeated very recently on this thread. I've never said anyone elses opinions, were outright wrong, only that I don't agree, and I'ved only disproved facts.

And still you've produced no backable, undeniable facts to back those humble opinions. That is the reason I still don't agree with you all. LC has recently recieved major upkeep, including painting and effects returning to operation. This is not a sign of an island that is "slipping away."

I also loe the HP franchise. And I love they way they made it reality. But I think it's enough for now.

They will maintain an area when they are getting much traffic, but when you've got an land that was once pretty large and pretty popular that now only has two attractions (both of which are very poor entertainment in most peoples opinions it seems), and one resturant, somethings gotta give, and there is no room for LC to make a new attraction without it cutting into another island (which won't happen). You have no facts to say it won't happen and the way it looks is as if Harry Potter is going to take over the rest of the LC. I totally respect your opinion as well Mantaguy :) You are one of the people I see who posts everyday and you seem very aware of the industry. But I think your clutching your beloved Lost Continent a bit (and I don't mean that in a bad way) too hard.

They will maintain an area when they are getting much traffic, but when you've got an land that was once pretty large and pretty popular that now only has two attractions (both of which are very poor entertainment in most peoples opinions it seems), and one resturant, somethings gotta give, and there is no room for LC to make a new attraction without it cutting into another island (which won't happen). You have no facts to say it won't happen and the way it looks is as if Harry Potter is going to take over the rest of the LC. I totally respect your opinion as well Mantaguy :) You are one of the people I see who posts everyday and you seem very aware of the industry. But I think your clutching your beloved Lost Continent a bit (and I don't mean that in a bad way) too hard.

Frankly, I dislike the Sindbad show. Don't hate it, just dislike it. However, I'm in live with the wonderful Islands of Adventure, and even though the new HP island is great, I can't help but think the IoA I once knew is gone forever, now that the focus is always on HP first. An example of this is JP, which lost much of it's ambiance to a great brown castle, whose boat ride's chances of returning are slim to to an ugly bridge, and whose amazing animatronic walkthrough has been overshadowed.

Now, the following comment is not aimed toward anyone personally, but saying something could/will be because you have no proof it isn't won't is the recipe for a conspiracy theory.

I would think, if there were plans for an expansion, we'd see something that would indicate it, like an online survey question, or the slightest in-park hint, much like BG has done. So far I myself have not seen anything like this. So I have to assume it won't happen because, as of now, there's nothing saying it will which I believe is very logical.

As I said before, I would prefer there be no or little expansion, but if it does happen, I will embrace it, because you can't stop something by willing it to happen. I just think it won't. Can you respect that?

Frankly, I dislike the Sindbad show. Don't hate it, just dislike it. However, I'm in live with the wonderful Islands of Adventure, and even though the new HP island is great, I can't help but think the IoA I once knew is gone forever, now that the focus is always on HP first. An example of this is JP, which lost much of it's ambiance to a great brown castle, whose boat ride's chances of returning are slim to to an ugly bridge, and whose amazing animatronic walkthrough has been overshadowed.

Now, the following comment is not aimed toward anyone personally, but saying something could/will be because you have no proof it isn't won't is the recipe for a conspiracy theory.

I would think, if there were plans for an expansion, we'd see something that would indicate it, like an online survey question, or the slightest in-park hint, much like BG has done. So far I myself have not seen anything like this. So I have to assume it won't happen because, as of now, there's nothing saying it will which I believe is very logical.

As I said before, I would prefer there be no or little expansion, but if it does happen, I will embrace it, because you can't stop something by willing it to happen. I just think it won't. Can you respect that?

Uhmmm.... Manta, you haven't seen the survey questions? I know they are around here somewhere, but Universal has sent out surveys with many questions regarding expansion, including a question saying "What if... Instead of expanding it, we DOUBLED the size of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?"... Anyone gonna help me out here with a picture?

But yes, I can respect your opinion and leave it at that Manta :smiley:

I would think, if there were plans for an expansion, we'd see something that would indicate it, like an online survey question, or the slightest in-park hint, much like BG has done. So far I myself have not seen anything like this.

Dear Mr. Mantaguy, they have started that survey within the park almost a month ago. If anyone can cue the park survey image it will be helpful. It basically says, if WWoHP doubles its size in the next 12 months, will you return to see it?

--- Update ---

Look, I was late on that one too.. (teebin hates to be late, but accepts it and loves all... well, almost all)
They are going to build a whole new world. Imagine the convention reservations spanning into 2022. This is all about money and thank goodness for JKR and Stewart.... hyper-authenticity.

Status
Not open for further replies.