Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 660 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Creative is just as prone to having a few idiots telling them what to do and how to do it as Disney is. Universal Mgmt doesn't always make the right decisions either so its hard to tell. I would imagine his frustration has something to do with some kind of cut or scale back on either Gringotts or the Hogwarts Express. From what I've heard though from people on the project is they live and breathe the project so its also possible what ever part of the project he is on may have taken a hit or they lost a bid.

That makes sense. I know cutbacks are expected during a project, so I'm sure it's nothing to panic over then ( i hope ).

Here is what whylightbulb just posted on Magic:

The Hogwarts Express will truly be a magical experience. It is the perfect blend of theatrical tools and theme park artistry that we used to expect from Disney. The cabin interiors are fantastic and the mock up almost had me shed a tear or two. Between the sounds, stations, effects and really cool media this will be a homerun in my opinion. When the train pulls into the station and the steam, sounds and atmosphere are all programmed in it will be a special theme park moment for most guests.

When walking through Gringotts the main thing you say to yourself is "wow...this is just BIG!" Everything is big. The rockwork is amazing and it's BIG. The vault room is BIG and jaw dropping impressive. The unique track elements are BIG...I mean really BIG and should be a lot of fun. There are massive screens (think Simpsons or larger) and the vehicles will move into the sweet spots at the right times and there will be unique movements that most will not expect. I know this is not new information and is readily available online but I just want to remind everyone and put it in perspective.

The rest of the land is bigger than most expect as well. Have I mentioned big? Yes I have a lot of negative to say but all in all this will still be 100 times better than anything WDW has done in the past 10 years.

Lee and HTF and Spirit are correct regarding Lorax and JP.

And as far as cuts:

Let's just say that there have been many very recent cuts in show elements in terms of quantity and quality. Essentially I went into a little detail regarding how that has happened and how it could have easily been avoided. There are some new management philosophies and practices that have led to it and I went into what they are.

We know TDO trips over their own feet and messes things up by reducing show quality. Let's hope these new management philosophies in Universal do not start causing the same issues. Universal is on a roll. They have momentum. Don't start screwing it up. Don't get cocky.

Last edited:
Sounds a little disconcerting. If they have all of this money to put into new rides, why are these cuts being put in? Do it right, or don't do it at all.

It's hard to see the big picture when you're on the front lines. Hopefully it's justified and not done for the personal gain of TDO's reputations and ego's.

Creative is just as prone to having a few idiots telling them what to do and how to do it as Disney is. Universal Mgmt doesn't always make the right decisions either so its hard to tell.

I think I'm gonna save this for future quoting :lol:

But here's hoping it all gets straightened out and everybody wins.

This always happens when things go out to bid and they don't get the quotes they anticipated. I wonder if it was a big thing that is currently going over budget or a bunch of small things. I would assume that whatever it is, it is an animated tangible effect. Perhaps a few things that would have been partially fabricated on site. $$$

I assume whylightbulb is rather....close to creative?

It appears he works for a company that is a contractor to the project, from what HTF has said. There are a zillion companies contributing to Diagon. Contractors, sub-contractors and even contractors to the sub-contractors.

UC comes up with some basic ideas, designs and ride patents and then has contractors flesh them out, from artists to engineers.

Photo Update from today (Saturday 9/7/13)

DSC_1097.JPG

DSC_1103.JPG

DSC_1102.JPG

DSC_1099.JPG

DSC_1100.JPG

DSC_1101.JPG

DSC_1104.JPG

Not Likely Brer, are you atill heading over this month? I will be there from the 21st.
MY GF & I will be there also arriving on the 21st, staying at Portofino for 2 weeks. Most of my light colored t-shirts are our soccer shirts, so if you see someone wearing a t shirt that says, Straub's Beer (our team sponsor)Mon Valley United, or PMSL 2010 Champions, or The Dream Team , Pa. West Champions, say hi and we can have a Duffs together. There's a lot of former Brits playing in Pennsylvania, great people.

I hit town on 9/25 and will be at UOR 2 days between 9/25 and 9/29, plus nearly every night that weekend at HHN. It'd be cool to meet a bunch of OU peeps!

Forgive me for this :horse: Can't get the search to work. I keep reading different things about soft opening/opening date estimates for HP2. Does the added blackout period for FL resident tickets and Power Pass (June 14) seem like a good indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.