Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 661 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I want to get this out of the way before it goes into an all out panic here. There's a very reliable source known as Whylightbulb on WDWMagic talking about cuts. He's got a very "the sky is falling" mentality here that seems overblown and completely undeserved. I respect him as a source, but I think his view as someone in the industry is at a complete disconnect from the fans.

So I want to say this:

Every project has cuts. All of them. Forbidden Journey had cuts and it still managed to be one of the best rides on the planet. Universal is still spending almost double the amount on Diagon they did on the Hogsmeade project. So no one panic. At least until it's done.:lol:

Also, I want to get this out of the way before it goes into an all out panic here. There's a very reliable source known as Whylightbulb on WDWMagic talking about cuts. He's got a very "the sky is falling" mentality here that seems overblown and completely undeserved. I respect him as a source, but I think his view as someone in the industry is at a complete disconnect from the fans.

So I want to say this:

Every project has cuts. All of them. Forbidden Journey had cuts and it still managed to be one of the best rides on the planet. Universal is still spending almost double the amount on Diagon they did on the Hogsmeade project. So no one panic. At least until it's done.:lol:

There projected over budget already Skip hence the cuts :lol: Whylightbulb has just seen a few things that most will never see and we can blame management for those choices. And as I have said to him there is always a chance WB steps in but for the cuts he's mentioning not likely. Again though I assure everyone this project will knock your socks off!! I wish I could get into detail of what I was just able to see, its grand and just breath taking. They are truly gunning for the greatest theme park expansion in history here, imagine if Disney was building a land with budget of a billion dollars so to speak :lol: Its just something else!!!

There projected over budget already Skip hence the cuts :lol: Whylightbulb has just seen a few things that most will never see and we can blame management for those choices. And as I have said to him there is always a chance WB steps in but for the cuts he's mentioning not likely. Again though I assure everyone this project will knock your socks off!! I wish I could get into detail of what I was just able to see, its grand and just breath taking. They are truly gunning for the greatest theme park expansion in history here, imagine if Disney was building a land with budget of a billion dollars so to speak :lol: Its just something else!!!

They are , its a land filled with magical rubber bracelets :lol:

Reactions: badlactose

That's exactly my point. His attitude is far too "sky is falling" for my tastes, when in reality the land is going to be insane.

I so wish we could see what's been happening behind the waterfront facades. I hate not knowing how everything behind there is progressing! :'(

That's exactly my point. His attitude is far too "sky is falling" for my tastes, when in reality the land is going to be insane.

To be fair, he basically turns around and states how awesome it is. Everything has cuts and of course if you are heavily in-the-know/involved then I can understand his current mentality. He also says this, which is far from the "sky is falling":

The Hogwarts Express will truly be a magical experience. It is the perfect blend of theatrical tools and theme park artistry that we used to expect from Disney. The cabin interiors are fantastic and the mock up almost had me shed a tear or two. Between the sounds, stations, effects and really cool media this will be a homerun in my opinion. When the train pulls into the station and the steam, sounds and atmosphere are all programmed in it will be a special theme park moment for most guests.

When walking through Gringotts the main thing you say to yourself is "wow...this is just BIG!" Everything is big. The rockwork is amazing and it's BIG. The vault room is BIG and jaw dropping impressive. The unique track elements are BIG...I mean really BIG and should be a lot of fun. There are massive screens (think Simpsons or larger) and the vehicles will move into the sweet spots at the right times and there will be unique movements that most will not expect. I know this is not new information and is readily available online but I just want to remind everyone and put it in perspective.

The rest of the land is bigger than most expect as well. Have I mentioned big? Yes I have a lot of negative to say but all in all this will still be 100 times better than anything WDW has done in the past 10 years.

From the sound of the above the cuts are to Gringotts, perhaps a few less AA's or major show effects?

But it happens, is there a ride in existence at Disney or Universal where things weren't cut? I can't think of any.

To be fair, he basically turns around and states how awesome it is. Everything has cuts and of course if you are heavily in-the-know/involved then I can understand his current mentality. He also says this, which is far from the "sky is falling":

From the sound of the above the cuts are to Gringotts, perhaps a few less AA's or major show effects?

But it happens, is there a ride in existence at Disney or Universal where things weren't cut? I can't think of any.

Project teams from other projects left and went straight to Potter. Some even went straight to AA design for Gringotts and Diagon. I'm pretty sure the AA's are not being touched.

Forgive me for this :horse: Can't get the search to work. I keep reading different things about soft opening/opening date estimates for HP2. Does the added blackout period for FL resident tickets and Power Pass (June 14) seem like a good indicator?

Wait for Jan-Feb when Potter packages are announced for dining at Leaky Cauldron or what have you not. That's what I'm keeping an eye out for.

IMO that was him covering his ass so he didn't get chewed out by his employer.

I don't think anything will be cut that will significantly alter people's enjoyment.

The guy can be a freakin loose cannon. It could as simple as some animated windows and some props. Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love having the newer sorta Disney/Uni site people on here... they counterbalance the zealots. I am a pragmatist who loves creative fantasy and not only the later.

Last edited:
Having read whylightbulb's original post, I think the bigger issue is the implications that certain decisions will have on future projects at the Universal Orlando Resort. Mistakes have cut into Universal Creative cost advantage.

Having read whylightbulb's original post, I think the bigger issue is the implications that certain decisions will have on future projects at the Universal Orlando Resort. Mistakes have cut into Universal Creative cost advantage.

Can you link to whylightbulb's original post? I read that other forum too but couldn't find it. Just curious to see all the info!

Can you link to whylightbulb's original post? I read that other forum too but couldn't find it. Just curious to see all the info!

"the Hogwarts Express will truly be a magical experience. It is the perfect blend of theatrical tools and theme park artistry that we used to expect from Disney. The cabin interiors are fantastic and the mock up almost had me shed a tear or two. Between the sounds, stations, effects and really cool media this will be a homerun in my opinion. When the train pulls into the station and the steam, sounds and atmosphere are all programmed in it will be a special theme park moment for most guests.

When walking through Gringotts the main thing you say to yourself is "wow...this is just BIG!" Everything is big. The rockwork is amazing and it's BIG. The vault room is BIG and jaw dropping impressive. The unique track elements are BIG...I mean really BIG and should be a lot of fun. There are massive screens (think Simpsons or larger) and the vehicles will move into the sweet spots at the right times and there will be unique movements that most will not expect. I know this is not new information and is readily available online but I just want to remind everyone and put it in perspective.

The rest of the land is bigger than most expect as well. Have I mentioned big? Yes I have a lot of negative to say but all in all this will still be 100 times better than anything WDW has done in the past 10 years."

pretty sure thats the post!!! :thumbs:

Me too,.staying at Disney first 10 days then over to uni. Shout up if you fancy meeting up for a beer.

Will do, What Disney resort are you staying at? We're staying at Art of Animation! Can't wait.

I have no idea of a plan of action yet though! Totally a relaxed unstructured holiday this one! Different to the last 2 times!

Reactions: Mad Dog

He emailed me the original post, you don't want to read it... Lets just call it growing pains and one of the downfalls to a rapidly expanding division within a Fortune 500 Company. He is allowing me to tease something but I'm holding onto it for now while I get some more info on a few things. Don't anyone panic though, I mean its not good news but its something most will never realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.