Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier someone mentioned how cool it would be if they turned LC into an entirely Greek island and I think that would be amazing...maybe even better than more Harry Potter. Though I am a huge fan of Harry Potter, I just feel like they nailed WW completely. It is absolutely perfect. Perfect.

Reactions: grizzlybarely
Why do you say that? Harry Potter fans might not be the "typical" guests at a theme park, but honestly, I hear mentions of Harry Potter at least once every few weeks if not days. Yesterday I was in Wal Mart and I heard someone talking about Harry Potter out of the blue. And once again, understand that it would NOT be any larger than LC was minus the giant Hogwarts castle (and if Van Helsing had happened it would have been exactly the same size), so don't say "it doesn't deserve two sections" because that's NOT what it would get.

Van Helsing toyed with the ride system concept. NOT the entire land we have now.

Yes, Harry Potter is inrecdibly popular that is why now it has the most exensive theme park area for any single property known to mankind.

And Jmercer25 is correct. People who are just generally aware of Harry Potter are not aware of details such as Dementors. Those guys don't even show up until the third book/third film.

Harry Potter will never be as big and relevant as it is now. Let's call it a new generation's star wars. That is the only other property in pop culture I can think to compare it to and even that only ever got an attraction. Also on that note let's think of it this way.

Just about every human in a citivlized country has heard of Star Wars, but ask them what a Jawa or a Tuskan Raider is and most will stare at you blankly.

Why do you say that? Harry Potter fans might not be the "typical" guests at a theme park, but honestly, I hear mentions of Harry Potter at least once every few weeks if not days. Yesterday I was in Wal Mart and I heard someone talking about Harry Potter out of the blue. And once again, understand that it would NOT be any larger than LC was minus the giant Hogwarts castle (and if Van Helsing had happened it would have been exactly the same size), so don't say "it doesn't deserve two sections" because that's NOT what it would get.

I think you're still misunderstanding me. The franchise of Harry Potter is unbelievably popular, I'm not denying that. But beyond what is already included in WWOHP, what is left that a typical guest would recognize?

I think you're still misunderstanding me. The franchise of Harry Potter is unbelievably popular, I'm not denying that. But beyond what is already included in WWOHP, what is left that a typical guest would recognize?

I am not a fan of Marvel really and know little about it, but I really enjoyed visiting that island and riding the rides :] I think the same can be said about more Harry Potter...even if they do not know what Gringotts is, they could still enjoy a Gringotts coaster :]

And the great thing about the concept of LC, and what it is able to deliver, is that anyone in the whole world can understand and be immersed in it because legend and gods are archetypical. You can do so many different thigs with it; the possibilities are endless.

These comments are really getting annoying. Stop acting like you something everyone else doesn't unless you really do. It'd be fine if you said you think blah blah blah. Sorry for sounding rude that's not usually how I am.

I've had private conversations with people who know.

For the sequel to a movie comment, how many sequels have you seen that are better than the original?

The Dark Knight
Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2
Aliens
The Road Warrior
Dawn of the Dead
Godfather II(debatable)
Toy Story II
Evil Dead II

Need I go on?

A phase 2 will not be better that the original so people will be disappointed. There won't be nearly the kind of attendence they saw on June 18th 2010 just by word of mouth that it's mediocre. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I really think you're letting personal feelings against an expansion blind you here. Phase II would get the same care and quality as the first. JK wouldn't let anything but that happen. Mediocre would not be a word used to describe it.

--- Update ---

1) The Wizarding World just opened months ago, which means a Phase II would not open for years. With the books finished and the film series to be fully released in less than a year, will a theme park area that takes up about a quarter of the size of Islands of Adventure be relevant for decades? It takes a strong franchise to justify the theme park attraction; how often does a single franchise gets its own theme park section?

The only thing bigger than Potter is Star Wars. Ever. I'd say it deserves it's own land. If Jurassic Park has a whole section, Potter definitely does.

2) Of the parts of the series that haven't been told in WWOHP "Phase I", do anything of them even justify a theme park attraction? I guess I originally meant to say "of what's left"? Forbidden Journey is a medley of Harry's life, of his adventures throughout the books. Universal wouldn't add a Phase II unless they could improve upon Phase I, and they already told all of their best stories in Phase I. If Phase II happens, it will be worse, or only a slight enhancement.

Gringotts would be an exceptional ride.

4) Understand that few of the people that visit WWOHP are HP fans. You're lucky if the typical guest knows what a dementor is, let alone what The Leaky Cauldron or the Ministry of Magic are.

So? I seriously oubt most of them care. They're there to be entertained, and a great ride will do that no matter what it's based on.

I really think you're letting personal feelings against an expansion blind you here. Phase II would get the same care and quality as the first. JK wouldn't let anything but that happen. Mediocre would not be a word used to describe it.

Mediocre in comparison. And no I'm not. I truly think nothing they can build in the next few years can top what they've already done.

--- Update ---

The only thing bigger than Potter is Star Wars. Ever. I'd say it deserves it's own land. If Jurassic Park has a whole section, Potter definitely does.

And already Potter has more in it's land than JP ever did.

I feel like it's time for me to chime in on this whole thing.

1) Harry Potter is an extremely popular franchise. The books alone have sold over 325 million copies and the movies are all in the top 30 highest worldwide box office grosses. There's no denying that. Does that mean everyone knows everything about the books such as Dementors and certain shops? Of course not. Does that always matter? I don't think so. I know several different friends/family members who dislike the franchise yet love the island and specifically, Forbidden Journey. If the series popularity was really being questioned, think of it this way: Would the island's shops really be this busy and selling this much merchandise if it wasn't popular?

2) Should the island expand? This is the question that is still debatable to me. While the island is already easily large enough, there's no denying how much of a cash cow it is. The only thing that makes me think they wouldn't want to expand it is if they could find an equally successful series that would earn just as much, which would definitely be difficult. This is easily Universal's most successful expansion/addition yet and gives them plenty of reason to expand even more.

3) Will it expand? I think it is very possible at this point. There are already several signs pointing to this happening. Several reliable members on here have already be hearing plans of Phase II happening, several surveys have gone out about expanding the island, the island is extremely successful, etc. Does this guarantee it? Of course not. We've also had rumors and surveys of stuff such as a new water park and other books series yet none of those have come to life yet.

Seriously guys...ha.

People are going to potter and spending all this money either way since millions and millions have yet to experience it and will come back to do so again. Universal does not NEED to add anything more. Potter was desperately needed to improve IOA's attendance..Universal is not going to spend any more money like that in a long time...because people are coming in by the masses and spending the money. It would only be beneficial once the admission sales are slacking. They have thought to sell anyting they possibly could from the potter universe by now, if you think they did not think through all of that you are wrong. That is complete with any company that was willing to produce things has produced them to be sold.

By the time attendance slacks for The Wizarding world it won't be as relevant to add a lot more.

In other worlds, many of you are living in a dream world with the way you think Phase 2 would go down...not that it is a bad thing..but that is what it is.

In other worlds, many of you are living in a dream world with the way you think Phase 2 would go down...not that it is a bad thing..but that is what it is.

So, Uni put out a survey regarding doubling the size just for kicks? Is that what you are saying? I won't even argue the rest your text as I find it drivel and close minded at best.

Wow, a lot a passion flying around in this piece.

But, my take is this: Obviously, the Universal team are seriously considering an expansion. They put out a survey that left no room for interpretation. They want to know if guests would want the size of the area "doubled." It's a definite possibility. Ok, no more argument about that.

As to whether it's "necessary" to expand: This is a theme park, an amusement park. None of it is "necessary." Frivolity is the whole point! It's what singlehandedly fuels the entire industry! If you mean necessary in terms of creating an experience that is faithful to and fully encompasses the franchise, then I think there is more room for debate. But I think the best logic is that, for Harry Potter and theme park fans alike, more is better. (And what's good for the guest is what's good for the people to whom they are forking over their money, right? Which in turn creates a better experience for more guests. It's a beautiful cycle! God, I love capitalism! haha. But I digress.) The decision whether or not to go forward will, for the most part, come down to supply and demand, dollars and cents (Sickles and Knuts?)

I also think that the people who create these places, while being dependent upon the economic effects got into the industry because of a passion for creating experiences for people, so a factor will be what technology they think they can employ to create something truly unique and unforgettable (which I agree the current Wizarding World definitely is.)

Okay, now, as for ideas about what could actually be done, a lot of things that have been mentioned on here are things I had thought of as well (including a large "Floo Network" archway that would "transport" you, like walking through a wormhole). I also had thought of have something similar to the new King Kong thing at USH. I haven't seen it, but most of the criticism that I've read it that it is just a bit too tame. My idea though, rather than using it for the Hogwarts Express (though that could be awesome) is to use a similar system for Gringotts. And being Potter, it would need to be a cut above. I don't know how much progress has been made in the area of using 3D on a full dome screen, but since the Gringotts rail-cars in the movie and books are open air, there could be a full dome rather than just the 360. Being able to look all around AND straight up into a 3D space could be pretty intense, especially with the a dragon like the one seen in the Deathly Hallows trailer lurking around.

And I know the conversation on possible restaurant themes was a few pages back, but I have a couple things to add. I think the most obvious theme for a large full service restaurant would be the Great Hall, but that's kind of out of the question because it is irrevocably tied to Hogwarts. After that, the Leaky Cauldron could be great, but to me the Leaky Cauldron always seemed like it would be a tiny dark little place, but I don't know. Eating in the cave from Half-Blood Prince is just too far-fetched from anything that would happen in the Harry Potter universe. My idea, though maybe a little morbid, didn't appear in the movies, but in the books (#2 I think?) they go to a Deathday Party. They could have really awesome food that is themed to be rotten or generally death-themed. They could do some really cool but simple ghost effects around the restaurant. Imagine eating in the Haunted Mansion on steroids. How great would that be?

And as a side note, there is something that I haven't seen mentioned in any of these discussions. We have an awesome Hogmeade Village right there. And what is on the outskirts of Hogsmeade? The Shrieking Shack. I don't know what they could do to make it an attraction, but I think it's a real opportunity.

(If you couldn't already tell, I'd like to see a few more of the darker aspects of the story represented in the park.)

I feel like it's time for me to chime in on this whole thing.

1) Harry Potter is an extremely popular franchise. The books alone have sold over 325 million copies and the movies are all in the top 30 highest worldwide box office grosses. There's no denying that. Does that mean everyone knows everything about the books such as Dementors and certain shops? Of course not. Does that always matter? I don't think so. I know several different friends/family members who dislike the franchise yet love the island and specifically, Forbidden Journey. If the series popularity was really being questioned, think of it this way: Would the island's shops really be this busy and selling this much merchandise if it wasn't popular?

2) Should the island expand? This is the question that is still debatable to me. While the island is already easily large enough, there's no denying how much of a cash cow it is. The only thing that makes me think they wouldn't want to expand it is if they could find an equally successful series that would earn just as much, which would definitely be difficult. This is easily Universal's most successful expansion/addition yet and gives them plenty of reason to expand even more.

3) Will it expand? I think it is very possible at this point. There are already several signs pointing to this happening. Several reliable members on here have already be hearing plans of Phase II happening, several surveys have gone out about expanding the island, the island is extremely successful, etc. Does this guarantee it? Of course not. We've also had rumors and surveys of stuff such as a new water park and other books series yet none of those have come to life yet.

:rep: I agree 100% with this post. Thank you for stating it a bit more eloquently than I could lol...

I'm going to pull out of this argument sooner rather than later before I start losing friends on here, lol.

I'm really not trying to create sides in a debate. It really just depends on perspective. From a financial perspective, any expansion is good expansion. If many of the folks at Uni want to expand solely for the sake of expansion and money (which I wouldn't put past execs and shareholders), then I'd say an expansion to WWOHP is likely. But everything has to get the green light from J.K. Rowling, who doesn't care about the parks making money. I don't know Rowling personally, so I honestly don't know if she wants to squeeze the life out of Potter or if she can let her baby bird fly, but when dealing with intellectual property, it comes down to her.

Some sort of expansion to the area is highly possible, I just don't think very large. I'm not an avid HP fan, so maybe my perspective is a tad skewed from several members on this board who I believe joined specifically for WWOHP. I know for me personally, visiting WWOHP is not about visiting the landmarks from the books and movies; I can honestly say I had never heard of Zonko's, Three Broomsticks, and several other locations before WWOHP was announced. I'm currently in the process of re-watching all six released movies (only have HP6 to go), because the attractions and entire area made me want to understand Harry's world. I want to visit WWOHP to experience that magic.

Again, I'm a theme park fan way before I'm a Harry Potter fan. I completely understand HP fans wanting more; it's completely natural. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, which is an area of the park that has lost much of its fire. Very often I wish more would be added to JP, but I guess time will tell.

There is one thing we can all agree on: Lost Continent will be going through some changes soon. I don't know if it will be more Potter, a renovation, or a totally new idea. But LC is the new focus for expansion. Capitalism or inspiration: choose thy fate.

EDIT: To those who are pro-Potter takeover, what do you think about an all-Greek section? Half of the island is Greek already, and so many stories could be told about Greek gods. Percy Jackson is one of my favorite book series (no I don't want LC to become Percy Jackson either), but it shows that many stories could be told with the Greek gods.

Last edited:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand like five pages later,

Yeah. You're right ("you're" not being directed at anyone particular). Considering the fact that, according to the queue, Dumbledore's office, Gryffindor common room, and the defense against the dark arts classroom are all on the same floor and right next to each other, it's safe to assume that geography never really crossed Universal Creative's mind.

This is my input on the rumor itself: mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So, Uni put out a survey regarding doubling the size just for kicks? Is that what you are saying? I won't even argue the rest your text as I find it drivel and close minded at best.

And they put out a survey about many other ideas just for kicks? I think so.

When someone says that your idea is a dream you become angry, but when others on your side do the same it's perfectly fine? I find that close minded.

--- Update ---

I'm going to pull out of this argument sooner rather than later before I start losing friends on here, lol.

I'm really not trying to create sides in a debate. It really just depends on perspective. From a financial perspective, any expansion is good expansion. If many of the folks at Uni want to expand solely for the sake of expansion and money (which I wouldn't put past execs and shareholders), then I'd say an expansion to WWOHP is likely. But everything has to get the green light from J.K. Rowling, who doesn't care about the parks making money. I don't know Rowling personally, so I honestly don't know if she wants to squeeze the life out of Potter or if she can let her baby bird fly, but when dealing with intellectual property, it comes down to her.

Some sort of expansion to the area is highly possible, I just don't think very large. I'm not an avid HP fan, so maybe my perspective is a tad skewed from several members on this board who I believe joined specifically for WWOHP. I know for me personally, visiting WWOHP is not about visiting the landmarks from the books and movies; I can honestly say I had never heard of Zonko's, Three Broomsticks, and several other locations before WWOHP was announced. I'm currently in the process of re-watching all six released movies (only have HP6 to go), because the attractions and entire area made me want to understand Harry's world. I want to visit WWOHP to experience that magic.

Again, I'm a theme park fan way before I'm a Harry Potter fan. I completely understand HP fans wanting more; it's completely natural. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, which is an area of the park that has lost much of its fire. Very often I wish more would be added to JP, but I guess time will tell.

There is one thing we can all agree on: Lost Continent will be going through some changes soon. I don't know if it will be more Potter, a renovation, or a totally new idea. But LC is the new focus for expansion. Capitalism or inspiration: choose thy fate.

EDIT: To those who are pro-Potter takeover, what do you think about an all-Greek section? Half of the island is Greek already, and so many stories could be told about Greek gods. Percy Jackson is one of my favorite book series (no I don't want LC to become Percy Jackson either), but it shows that many stories could be told with the Greek gods.

Beautiful and well said. Personally I'd rather have something more creative and open-ended than a totally canon world. In that kind of environment, your mind can go wild. No where else in IoA, including the WWoHP, is there a place that is 100% true to its inspiration. Everything has it's own added flavor of special element that make it purely unique. If the HP fanboys want to go to an exact recreation of the MOM or Leaky Cauldron, good luck finding one.

Last edited:
And they put out a survey about many other ideas just for kicks? I think so.

When someone says that your idea is a dream you become angry, but when others on your side so the same it's perfectly fine? I find that close minded.

Teebin, you do tend to get a little over-defensive sometimes.

I'm not choosing sides over an argument. Just pointing something out. Carry on.

But LC is the new focus for expansion. Capitalism or inspiration: choose thy fate.

Hated your edit jmercer, but loved your original final quote. Thus I quote it. Capitalism and inspiration are not always separate things, sometimes they are slaps in the face that shout MORE. Good thing, we have a company that is willing to put its balls on the line and a woman that will accept nothing but the best. If you didn't see the Oprah interview, then you missed her opinion on the current park.

I lied to a friend in the theme park industry today and asked him of what he thought of what someone said, "the product designers/developers had to trash tons of great stuff because the knew they did not have the shop space to display and sell it." His answer was "true". So, we have overcrowded shops with lines to get in, we have merch flying off the shelves to the point of ridiculous.

Then we have many here saying it is a phase. It is SEVEN books! Books do not die. Ask JR Tolkien and Dr. Seuss.

JP has no literary books, Star Wars has no literary books. A park based on a series of books and then movies that get better and better and better is something to hang onto. Like Tolkien and Marvel and Seuss. HP will grip for many many decades beyond the youngest here.

I agree with all but the bold statement because I think, while an expansion wouldn't have a "state of the art brand new" type of ride attraction, they would bring anew a sense of wonder with detailed shop windows and an authentic feel once again (which, lets face it, is what we love about the island anyway). I think that an expansion is likely, but as someone stated earlier nothing is a guarantee (and if my earlier statements came off as a guarantee, I apologize for sounding so arrogant). And I don't think they'd let us down. I think they could find ways to block the castle from Diagon Alley/London, and I think they could make it fit. Oh, and I think a Greek expansion would be neat but once again, it wouldn't bring in the profits... And I'll leave it at that...

Status
Not open for further replies.