Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 160 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard from someone who has done a test ride on the train. They said it was actually quite more elaborate than whats been released so far

So are they just going to start letting the public in for softs, or will they do like they did for Hogsmeade and make the softs for hotel guests? I was prepared to book at least a couple nights at one of the hotels for this- I suppose I still would, but just was wondering if it will be the same as before.

Uhm, softs for Hogsmeade were open to the public. I sped up I-4 to get in the first day.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard from someone who has done a test ride on the train. They said it was actually quite more elaborate than whats been released so far

Can't judge any ride--Hogwarts Express, Test Track, Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster--until you've ridden it. So many intangibles. For good and bad--an experience that works great in soft open may seem less impressive when you have to wait 2 hours then share it with 50 other guests in a space built for 25 (cough, Olivanders, cough).

One thing that I'm not sure that has been discussed is the Windows on the train. The windows are not just LCD's that your looking at. Think of it more like a window, with a Harry Potter Forbidden Journey Dome Screen against it. You will be able to move your head around by the window and see different angles of this 4k image on the dome screen.

Here is a description of it from http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/7856

"The Hogwarts Express journey will not be like anything created before at Universal. When asked if it compared to the King Kong Experience, DoQui replied, "No. This is very unique technology. Imagine looking out a window and being able to look to the edges of the window, up and down, and get all of that story information. This is unique to each cabin - they're getting the same journey and story experience but from the point of view of looking out the actual window and getting that actual detail.”

Now if you look at this image, you will see how the left side of the train sticks out with a curve to it. This is for the mini domes for the windows that you will look out.
s978.jpg

Anybody know what the significance of the numericals "5972" and "10A" on the train are? I don't think there is any hidden meaning but just wanted to ask.

Anybody know what the significance of the numericals "5972" and "10A" on the train are? I don't think there is any hidden meaning but just wanted to ask.

I believe it's just to completely match the locomotive used in the films.

That link explains most but not all of the story. It is correct in saying that 5972 was the original engine's running number on the GWR / British Railways, but your other question - about 10A - is a little more complex. That plate is a shed code plate, which signifies where an engine was based as its 'home shed'. The real engine has a 10A plate now, so the Uni Hogwarts Express is accurate, but the original engine would not have had 10A. 10A was the code or Carnforth (on the Midland Region in North-West England), but the engine would only ever have operated on the Western Region (i.e. West and/or South-West of London). It has a 10A plate now because the company who now own it are based in Carnforth.

Some useless but hopefully somewhat interesting information! :wave:

The stuff about Dementors ON the train was only Fanboi speculation. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the glass separating the couchettes from the hallway are frosted to where you can't actually see out into the hallway. If that is the case they could use a projected effect along with sound to imply that there are Dementors in the hallway. But that is just me speculating.

You may be onto something there...

pretty sad hate is gone :( I'm gonna miss all his juicy intel. hopefully all is well with him though

Last edited:
While I enjoy this interesting speculating about the Hogwarts Express, I'm far more interested in what were getting with the Gringotts Bank Coaster...that thing is gonna be phenominal.

While I enjoy this interesting speculating about the Hogwarts Express, I'm far more interested in what were getting with the Gringotts Bank Coaster...that thing is gonna be phenominal.

Agreed. I doubt we get too much info about it before opening though.

People, there is little more to know. We know virtually everything about both the queue and the ride:

Great Hall with AA goblin tellers
Weasleys office with transparent projection like the Dark Arts room.
Elevators that give the impression you went somewhere when you didn't
A tilting track
A false waterfall
Deep caverns with 3D projections to suggest height and size
A third wall screen that moves out of your ride's path via Kuka
An AA or projected dragon
A flash strobe for a picture of you on the ride
A place to deposit your 3D Glasses
Stupidly cramped crowds in the exit store...

I mean really... there is virtually nothing more to know!

Well, Optimus Prime has been doing a pretty good job standing up there for these past couple of months.

I believe he was referring to it not being appropriate to the ongoing canon of the books; there is no Dragon sitting on top of Gringotts at all times. To me, Diagon is exceptional enough without such rediculous overkill. I will have to find out who the moron is that thought it a clever idea.

While I think it's a good idea to reserve judgement until we've seen it, I would still say that I would rather they had not chosen to put a permanent dragon on top of Gringotts for all the reasons that have been brought up by others, mainly because Why are we casually shopping and then filing into the bank when THERE IS A FREAKING RAMPAGING DRAGON BREAKING THROUGH THE BUILDING?!? :lol:

But at the same time, I can understand why they made the decision. In Hogsmeade the decision to make the castle the icon of the land was an easy one. Not only does the design just look generally awesome, but it's perfectly recognizable to nearly everyone even if they haven't read the books or seen the movies; it's been featured on nearly every poster and dvd/blu-ray cover for the films. And even for the theoretical person who has never heard of Harry Potter, it's a castle. Everyone likes a castle.

Gringotts, on the other hand, isn't nearly as recognizable to the uninitiated. Without the dragon, a clueless person might say "Okay, so it's just a city street with crooked buildings and funny names." But a dragon, like a Gothic castle, is intriguing to virtually everyone.

Last edited:
I believe he was referring to it not being appropriate to the ongoing canon of the books; there is no Dragon sitting on top of Gringotts at all times. To me, Diagon is exceptional enough without such rediculous overkill. I will have to find out who the moron is that thought it a clever idea.

Thank you, Teebin. That is exactly what I was meaning. This is Diagon Alley, not just a building with a ride inside…this is a whole land…and as much as JKR has a say in these parks, I am shocked she is allowing a dragon.

Uhm, softs for Hogsmeade were open to the public. I sped up I-4 to get in the first day.

- - - Updated - - -

They may have let the public in for a while before grand opening, but for weeks before that they kept the general public out and only let guests of the 3 hotels in. I remember that people hung around outside the hogsmeade gate every day hoping they would start letting day guests in during this period of hotel guests only. This went on for several weeks. People had purchased hotel packages that included this preview entry, and they ended up just granting all hotel guests entry during this time. So I'm wondering if they will do this again, because it was probably the best theme park experience I've ever had, and was willing to pay for it again.

Thank you, Teebin. That is exactly what I was meaning. This is Diagon Alley, not just a building with a ride inside…this is a whole land…and as much as JKR has a say in these parks, I am shocked she is allowing a dragon.

I think there are a number of reasons why a dragon atop Gringotts might make sense. The Wizarding World is a timeless (i.e. set in no particular moment from the series) hodgepodge of iconic events, characters, and places in the wizarding world, and Potter fans are already in a position of having to disregard a certain amount of thematic discontinuity, anachronism, or outright error (e.g. a second Ollivanders in Hogsmeade being among the most obvious). The dragon atop Gringotts is intended to trigger/foreshadow the Deathly Hallows Gringotts break-in story line, first and foremost, while leading in to a story line that is not Harry's but is the guest's "unique" experience as a Muggle visitor to Harry's world.

Also, since they had originally intended to include a fire-breathing dragon in Forbidden Journey but had to cancel it at the last minute, this is their opportunity to impress guests with that technology.

Furthermore, there may actually be a story tie-in between the dragon perched atop Gringotts and the use of an internal queue in Ollivanders. I could see a clerk ushering clients inside and directing them to an interior waiting room "to get away from that bloody dragon!" And while an unchained dragon is a life-threatening menace, a dragon who has escaped from Gringotts and whose chains have caught on the roof is perhaps only a temporary, escapable menace that might lead in to the Escape from Gringotts story line.

Or maybe I'm just giving them too much credit and they just wanted a cool fire-breathing dragon to attract non-HP-fans to the area. Either way, I imagine they're gambling that the special effects will win over even hardcore HP fans, in spite of the anachronism/discontinuity.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

They may have let the public in for a while before grand opening, but for weeks before that they kept the general public out and only let guests of the 3 hotels in. I remember that people hung around outside the hogsmeade gate every day hoping they would start letting day guests in during this period of hotel guests only. This went on for several weeks. People had purchased hotel packages that included this preview entry, and they ended up just granting all hotel guests entry during this time. So I'm wondering if they will do this again, because it was probably the best theme park experience I've ever had, and was willing to pay for it again.

I just did a bunch of research on this trying to gain insight to soft opening trends. The 1st soft opening of the wizarding world was only to hotel guests and started on May 28th, 2010. The first date that non-hotel guests entered the wizarding world was on June 1st. Although resort guests continued to get that extra hour each day they only had the section exclusively to them for 3 days.

I just did a bunch of research on this trying to gain insight to soft opening trends. The 1st soft opening of the wizarding world was only to hotel guests and started on May 28th, 2010. The first date that non-hotel guests entered the wizarding world was on June 1st. Although resort guests continued to get that extra hour each day they only had the section exclusively to them for 3 days.

I believe there may have been employee softs prior to May 28, and way before that there was a kind of corporate open house, even though many things remained sorta kinda unfinished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts