Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 276 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been avoiding all Universal news on Twitter and this thread to try to keep it all a surprise, but I came here to ask if anyone knows why they still haven't announced an opening date? Isn't the 18th locked in stone based off the Tonight Show information....?

It's locked in stone only until it no longer locked in stone.

Al Roker doesn't see any switchbacks.

no_switchbacks_zps32cbd243.png

Looks like a themed area where they can organize people to prepare to board the train while everyone on the last trip is still getting off.

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that the train will be waiting in the station when you cross the barrier, however in Hogsmeade you will watch the train pull in. Having the train waiting at 9 3/4 will make it appear more like the movies as well

Hopefully with The Tonight Show coming down June 16-19th, opening day will happen around then.

This line gives me hope: "You’ll get a first look at the brand new The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley!"

To me, they should not call it brand new if it is not open yet (or at least opening in the next few days). This is just MORE press to add to the press event which continues to grow in size. I stand by the fact that you don't invite THIS much press to "preview" something. You invite this much press to OPEN something.

Heck, maybe one of the reasons it is running to the 19th is so they can film a bunch of footage of the Grand Opening event with all the movie stars on the 18th and then air it on the 19th as sort of the "Big Finish" to The Tonight Show being down there.

A side note: When Ellen came down, she released her Harry Potter video only ten days before it opened. However, the press event was scheduled closer to the opening of the land (with the last night of the press event being the big Grand Opening event). It seems like they are following the same schedule with this opening but including the TV show element with the world wide press event to get word out even more!

Last edited:
I have been avoiding all Universal news on Twitter and this thread to try to keep it all a surprise, but I came here to ask if anyone knows why they still haven't announced an opening date? Isn't the 18th locked in stone based off the Tonight Show information....?

Could be the 19th or 20th, who knows, but I love your signature, lol. I always thought Dolores Umbridge was the worst of the bunch, because she was evil just to be evil. All the others had reasons for doing what they did, like Voldemort wanted to live forever, the Malfoys for egotistical reasons, Bellatrix had fun doing it, but Dolores was evil just to be evil.

Last edited:
There's another sign that soft openings will be starting soon as mock service will be beginning next week. Diagon TMs will be dispatching trains and riding them to test it out before the public embarks. Also, ticketing TMs will be "selling tickets" to get ready for guests.

Last edited:
Weeeeeell... I will tell you what I know and what I assume regarding seemingly contradictory posts in other threads here. Universal Creative props or an offshoot of that, is the lead vendor/contractor. While I know nothing of an aircraft manufacturer being involved as a subcontractor, it would make sense from aerodynamic perspective that they would need such engineering expertise for the extended wing, which is quite literally a sail... in hurricane central.

So, this leaves the actual dragon, or skin of the dragon, and as I have been told, it was built by UC props or an offshoot. What set me back a few days ago regarding its appearance was I was told by a member of UC that it looks "crappy" and that they are attempting to fix it... and that this is what these delays are all about. That is vague I know... what exactly is "crappy" about it?

I poked around to find out where it is being built... and all I could come up with was this conjecture: in one of the soundstages or in a section of B32, which is a very large building.

You've been misinformed. Movie sculptor Bryn Court and his team sculpted the dragon. He's been at several functions around Orlando. I highly doubt it looks crappy considering he's one of the most talented sculptors in the movie industry and I'm sure was hand picked by Stuart Craig himself. Check out his stuff here. http://www.moviesculptor.com/ It is indeed being manufactured by a composite vendor who's bread and butter is airplanes. They're not a finishing company so if it is on site it's probably just for paint. Where it resides now, who knows, but seeing Bryn's past work, there is no doubt it looks as accurate to the movie as it could possibly be. UC props is a small shop who doesn't do composite work especially considering this engineering marvel. Your sources are pretty good, but this time they missed the mark.

The GO secrecy could be that UOR is just trying to keep the numbers closer to 20000 rather than bang the drum and end up with 60000.

"Sixty thousand's an issue"

(to be said in the voice of the knight in Last Crusade, when he says, "He chose poorly...")

Reactions: natespf
The GO secrecy could be that UOR is just trying to keep the numbers closer to 20000 rather than bang the drum and end up with 60000.

"Sixty thousand's an issue"

(to be said in the voice of the knight in Last Crusade, when he says, "He chose poorly...")

I am 100% on-board (the HE) with this theory ;)

Having fewer people at the Grand Opening is the best thing they could do. It will still be insane, but not nearly as insane as Phase 1. Lets face it, it doesn't really matter when they open it...people will flock to UOR for years to see it. Having a less insane grand opening will ensure that all press is good press and no stories get run about angry people waiting in line for 9 hours to get into the park :mad:

You've been misinformed. Movie sculptor Bryn Court and his team sculpted the dragon. He's been at several functions around Orlando. I highly doubt it looks crappy considering he's one of the most talented sculptors in the movie industry and I'm sure was hand picked by Stuart Craig himself. Check out his stuff here. http://www.moviesculptor.com/ It is indeed being manufactured by a composite vendor who's bread and butter is airplanes. They're not a finishing company so if it is on site it's probably just for paint. Where it resides now, who knows, but seeing Bryn's past work, there is no doubt it looks as accurate to the movie as it could possibly be. UC props is a small shop who doesn't do composite work especially considering this engineering marvel. Your sources are pretty good, but this time they missed the mark.

Interesting, if it was this sculptor, than I cannot see how he could fail. And yet, I am stuck with a UC contradiction. I shall bow to your info, until I don't, if I don't. Details details...

Furthermore, the company building it was not the engineer. That was contracted out. Most certainly a small prop shop could not head up that portion either. Get more info on the UC prop shop and the talent they employ and you'll see your source is incorrect on this issue. No bother to me if you go another direction, I'm just trying to provide info that flowed past my plate.

You all were talking a while back about the walls probably coming down, is there a reason you guys think this will happen? Wouldn't they bring the walls down the night before the grand opening? Even if softs start, I could see them just opening the door they have in the wall to let people in for softs. I just am a little confused as to why they would just bring the walls down and let guests see the Knight Bus and walk all around the London Facade way before the whole thing opens? I know they would have Diagon Alley itself closed and have no access at all to it, but still, the London Facade is still a big part of the new land.

Wow. That guy's work is unbelievably beautiful. If the dragon is in his hands, I have no doubt it will be gorgeous.

It does say on his bibliography " Bryn was also involved in the design process of the new Harry Potter Theme Park Experience, created for Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida."

Because they aren't finished yet with London, which is so hard for me to comprehend at this point. They are cutting it so close it seems with paint jobs still not finished... wth

While you could leave the wall up forcible attraction, it's a fire hazard to keep a construction wall up around a whole island for a soft opening. Pretty sure that's not allowed by fire code.

Because they aren't finished yet with London, which is so hard for me to comprehend at this point. They are cutting it so close it seems with paint jobs still not finished... wth
Here's the thing, if they were done they would be open. Finishing touches on the land are the last thing to be done. You have to get the rides out of the way first so they have time to test. Then restaurants so they can get set up and pass health inspection, then the stores so they have time to get set up. Then the land which only requires the work and not additional time after the work is done.

While you could leave the wall up forcible attraction, it's a fire hazard to keep a construction wall up around a whole island for a soft opening. Pretty sure that's not allowed by fire code.
The walls stayed up for phase 1 softs. the Key is to have gates at each of entrance/exits to the area.

There's another sign that soft openings will be starting soon as mock service will be beginning next week. Diagon TMs will be dispatching trains and riding them to test it out before the public embarks. Also, ticketing TMs will be "selling tickets" to get ready for guests.

Merch employees dont start until the week after that. I think this is the case for food service as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.