Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would certainly wish to say that they aren't finished. I can't take an educated guess because I dont know anything about that technique. But I certainly see what you are saying....It's pretty awful

So tire-based launch for Gringotts instead of LSM... I was kinda hoping for LSM because I love how smooth the launches are, but can we assume that the audio for the ride will be loud enough to overpower the noise of the tires? I mean, I'm expecting to hear a lot of loud zaps and bangs for this "battle" scene portion of the ride.

So tire-based launch for Gringotts instead of LSM... I was kinda hoping for LSM because I love how smooth the launches are, but can we assume that the audio for the ride will be loud enough to overpower the noise of the tires? I mean, I'm expecting to hear a lot of loud zaps and bangs for this "battle" scene portion of the ride.

No worries for on board riders and the sound curtains should take care of bleed out for other scenes.

I sometimes hold thoughts on here but I cannot take it any more. What in hell are they trying to convey with those roof ribs on top of Grimmauld? They look like something between a burn victim and marble, when they should be tin or verdigris copper. Look at them per USO92's picture:

1474551_10151884656586888_1073798610_n_zpsadbd6c7c.jpg

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I thought it was brickwork with white plaster 'patches' on it. But that doesn't seem to make sense. The problem is, I can't seem to find an actual photo of the Grimmauld Place roof from the films. I don't think we ever actually see the roof. So I don't know what it is 'supposed' to look like.

I've been thinking the same thing and I'm hoping it's not finished, either. Though I will admit that by looking at it and the fact that the scaffolding is down, I'm getting the vibe that the roof IS finished. Time will tell.

Then again, if we're noticing minute little details like the roof--which the GP will NEVER notice--wow, we sure are difficult to please, aren't we? :smiley:

I was at the parks today and yesterday for the first time since the London facades went vertical. It looks great! The scale of it just doesn't come across in photos the way it does in person.

One thing I noticed is that the statue figures next to the uppermost windows on Wyndham's Theatre have been painted(?) a sort of dusty-red color. Anyone know what that would be? Maybe a primer coat of some kind?

It is not really finished yet. You can see the building in reality using the google earth.

more than the 109 Mile End Rd, London E1 4UJ, United Kingdom, "photo attached"

2djz.jpg

It's Islington, Claremont Square N-bound, Anwell St."photo attached",(a short walk from King's Cross station).
f0qk.jpg

12 Grimmauld Place was the ancestral home of the Black family. It was located in the Borough of Islington, London, in a Muggle neighbourhood, and the location was protected by a Fidelius Charm. As the house was invisible to the neighbourhood residents, the local Muggles have long since accepted the mistake in numbering which landed number 13 next to number 11.
Grimmauld.jpg

Last edited:
Ah... it appears they are going for aged limestone for the roof ribs. You know the cemetery headstone lichen/mold stained effect. That said, they have a ways to go yet... :look:

I wonder why they added another floor of windows to the set recreation. Were they trying to base it off of the real thing, or just make their own rendition?

I wonder why they added another floor of windows to the set recreation. Were they trying to base it off of the real thing, or just make their own rendition?

They didn't. We discussed this in depth just a few pages back. The Grimmauld building being built at Universal is based entirely off from a full scale, outdoor movie set created for the Potter films at Leavesdon Studios.

Below is a movie set and not a real London location.

Grimmauld.jpg

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but I don't quite understand what Universal is thinking as far as its lack of promotion for this expansion. I mean I understand not promoting it before their busy season last Summer, but I don't understand why they have remained largely silent for so long now. They have only mentioned it officially in the press twice, I believe, and only released one largely abstract piece of concept art for the new land. I was especially surprised to see how little they mentioned it at the event on December 12th. On the video I saw the Diagon Alley part was only about a minute and a half long and they didn't even mention the headline new attraction, Gringotts, unless there was a part to the presentation I missed.

I know about it largely because I frequent theme park websites (and, living locally, I'll hear about it on the news occasionally) but how about everyone else? I've never seen a national commercial advertizing it yet, although perhaps there are international ads, I don't know. Now I'm sure theme park aficionados and Potter fans are already in the know but what about the general public, Universal's bread and butter? I've mentioned things to my friends, family, and other people in passing who have no idea what's going on right down the road. If that's the case how about people in middle America, Europe, Brazil, Asia, and so on? While I'm sure people who go to travel agents looking to vacation at a Florida theme park get all types of info, how about the people who aren't planning on going but might if they only knew? Once they finally do find out about it it may already be too late for people to book a trip, or they may have already made other plans for their holiday. Unless that is what Universal wants? To prevent over crowding issues again??? That's probably a stretch though. I really can't see a theme park purposely attempting to keep attendance down.

It just seems like, to me at least, Universal is over compensating for the advertising errors of the last Potter expansion. I know the new site goes online, finally, in January (hopefully with a lot more official details and art/pics) but it just seems like its awfully late to promote something that opens six months later. I don't know though maybe I'm completely off here. Perhaps Universal will turn the hype machine on full blast and dazzle the GP out of their little minds in the months to come. Either way I'm sure attendance will be HUGE at grand opening from the park fans and Potter fanboys alone. This is just an observation...

</END RANT>

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but I don't quite understand what Universal is thinking as far as its lack of promotion for this expansion.

They are not widely promoting it because they didn't want to destroy attendance this past summer, Thanksgiving, and upcoming Christmas and New Years. They made exactly this mistake in 2007,2008,2009 and everyone postponed their vacations until Potter opened in 2010. It killed their attendance for those years.

It just seems like, to me at least, Universal is over compensating for the advertising errors of the last Potter expansion. I know the new site goes online, finally, in January (hopefully with a lot more official details and art/pics) but it just seems like its awfully late to promote something that opens six months later.

I agree corporate America always has a tendency to overreact to their last failure. That said, they don't really want everyone there opening weekend. Hell, they'd probably prefer the more casual tourists stay away and not see the cluster****. Let the fanbois come in June--because you know they will--Universal is eyeing July and August and next Christmas and even Spring Break 2015.

I'm a Brit & have today booked two weeks in November at the PBH on the back of Diagon & all the other new attractions since my family was last at UO in 2008.
Many folks in the Uk (who are Potter & WDW fans) have no idea about the HP expansion. Once the news hits, Europe will come in droves next year & even more in 2015...unless there is another credit crunch.
I hope I am going in the eye of the storm, after opening mania & before everyone outside the US finds out & comes in 2015. Fingers crossed!

Going Oct 30 thru Nov 13th so will only have back end of HHN & limited impact of Jersey week. If there are crowds for Vets day...much respect.
Still, in an obscene way, being a WDW vet, not having fotl for both potter lands, excites me...planning the rope drop strategy will be fun!

Btw, can I thank this site for being factual, objective & informative, void of gooey, fluffy, stuff, prevalent on many WDW forums. I have always found UO to have a refreshing real world attitude, which my kids from age 13 to now (26/27) have enjoyed way more than Disney. The only exception being Alien Encounter...so out of place there!

Reactions: Jenstar
Status
Not open for further replies.