Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 96 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually believe what you labeled Main Entrance for TLC is actually the exit, and the entrance is more towards the top-right of the green part.

I actually think none of those will be an exit. You dont exit people into a narrow/crowded area, or at least you shouldn't. Wouldn't the exits be the doors all the way to the top left? If anything, that exit will be just an emergency exit.

Last edited:
I actually think none of those will be an exit. You dont exit people into a narrow/crowded area, or at least you shouldn't. Wouldn't the exits be the doors all the way to the top left? If anything, that exit will be just an emergency exit.

The only other doors to the building are in the top left corner but they exit backstage. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the Three Broomsticks where the main entrance doubles as the main exit, but it also has few side entrances/exits.

I made a diagram of the differences I see between the original Wyndham and Universal's.
As I said, not bad changes. Just interesting to compare.
Wyndhamdifference_zpsac7dc42f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Film sets and theme park facades are often designed to cast more dramatic shadows.

Hmm... that picture looks like it would be a grand queue to me. Who knows what they have in store, but I think a brief glimpse of the interior prior to entering Diagon would be a must.

On another note... Leaky has no 1st floor windows on Diagon correct? So, is it possible the first 15 feet of the interior space that parallels Diagon will be for Hogsmeade style shallow storefronts and the interior nothing but a stone wall?

And might I add, HTF is not answering my question regarding Grimmauld a page back.... hmmmm.

Yeah, from my recollection (and after re-watching the Leaky Cauldron scene from The Philosopher's Stone movie) there are no windows onto Diagon inside the Leaky Cauldron.
So it would make sense for that stretch to be covered with faux shop fronts.

Film sets and theme park facades are often designed to cast more dramatic shadows.

That makes sense. Theme parks are heightened versions of reality.

That suddenly reminds me of something I read once. I think back in the days when Technicolour came into vogue, the film-stock demanded a lot more light than usual. They added more lights to the soundstages, but the extreme lighting made the sets look flat and unrealistic. That's when they decided to exaggerate all the doorways and cornices and architectural details so that the shadows would appear natural on film.

I'm probably remembering some of the details wrong, since I read that article years ago.

Thanks for the great pics, SGT623! :thumbs:

As the ramp was discovered, I am wondering if the queue will have us walking through an upper balcony of LC so that we can feel as though we are walking through the pub to the back. Otherwise, I don't understand the ramp.

If Diagon Alley goes uphill, they still gotta keep TLC level, so it may be higher than the ground level on the London streets, requiring the ramp for ADA access / egress. That's why I assumed that was an emergency exit.

Reactions: PourJudgment
Okay, I really like the diagram - helped me visualize how some of the nooks and crannies are going to work. I'm wondering whether or not they're going to try to 'hide' the side entrance to Diagon Alley (seeing as it's technically the original entrance to Diagon and fans will go nuts going for the 'authentic' experience). Also, Leaky looks like it has a lot more room than I was expecting, although that may just be a result of the way the diagram's structured.
Surely part of Leaky in that diagram is for BOH stuff so it won't be that big, but it'll still be pretty sizable.

Amazing how much this is changing, and has changed since Jaws was closed! It's coming on so fast!

Thanks to everyone who provides photo updates (although I am insanely jealous that you can go to Uni any time you want!)

Wow all of these new pictures and diagrams are amazing! Always shocks me just how much space Jaws took up! I for one cannot wait to get my ass on a plane to Flordia in September!! Keep the updates coming!! :cheers:

Just to add to my picture update above, and Seventy One will back me up on this. Pictures do NOT do this thing justice.

Agreed, even with some fencing still in place, you can start to feel the immersion. I know it's not one specific place, but having lived in London for the better part of a year, it "felt" like I was back in the city. Kind of psyched for just a London-themed HHN scarezone--make it happen, Creative.

Would be nice if they relocated Zonkos to where Ollivanders currently is, and make room for a very small, Hogsmeade-like tea shop... I think it could work well with Honeydukes next to it.

This would definitely be the best scenario. I don't like the idea of having an Ollivanders in Hogsmeade and in Diagon Alley. Bringing a new shop(Tea Shop) to Hogsmeade and keeping one that's supposed to be there(Zonko's) while also getting rid of one that's NOT supposed to be there, is the best case scenario in my mind. I'm also sure JK is thinking the same thing.

I agree that the crooked opening looks a bit hoinky. I shall reserve judgement for now.

It really makes me wonder how the are going to get people though that hole and then encourage them to disperse. Too, it seems there will have to be an employee standing in Diagon to prevent people from blocking the way as the crowds come through.

Is that white building all the way in the back Gringotts??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faint:

yes, and those are its leaning columns you see.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Mo-U5iOinM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-U5iOinM8[/video]

This video is soooo telling. Watch and pause throughout.

You'll see on there Leicester Square Station:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=leic...Bkdfk3fIguP6D44hQ&cbp=12,139.85,,0,-5.41&z=20

The building between Kings Cross and Leicester Square Station:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=leic...Bkdfk3fIguP6D44hQ&cbp=12,33.42,,0,-12.31&z=20

And where the entrance to the leaky Cauldron was depicted to be:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=leic...SCPWuwZ1jghJRE0tYA&cbp=12,5.79,,0,-14.36&z=20

Status
Not open for further replies.