Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 190 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, some of you will not be moved, some of you will be.

Back in 2010 many were screaming Great Job Universal Creative! We were all impressed by the town, the castle, the interiors, the queue.

Little did we know that UC was banished from designing much of anything. Sure, they advised on the nature of a major theme park and how it is run. But when it came to designing stuff and UC had a ton of talent lined up to interpret the designs of others, Warner Brothers said NO. What was WB's answer to this? The scenic designers for the films... they were flown in... given drafting boards backstage to design both the known and many things that had never been designed before. Both phase 1 and phase 2.

So, film's set designers have been on site multiple times doing both exterior and interior elevations... including details, many brand new concepts.

This is not horrible... but it flies in the face of what most of us believed. That is the point of this, my mini documentary.

Uploaded on Apr 24, 2010
[video=youtube;Q2G4dXJopUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2G4dXJopUY[/video]

Last edited:
So, some of you will not be moved, some of you will be.

Back in 2010 many were screaming Great Job Universal Creative! We were all impressed by the town, the castle, the interiors, the queue.

Little did we know that UC was banished from designing much of anything. Sure, they advised on the nature of a major theme park and how it is run. But when it came to designing stuff and UC had a ton of talent lined up to interpret the designs of others, Warner Brothers said NO. What was WB's answer to this? The scenic designers for the films... they were flown in... given drafting boards backstage to design both the known and many things that had never been designed before. Both phase 1 and phase 2.

So, film's set designers have been on site multiple times doing both exterior and interior elevations... including details, many brand new concepts.

This is not horrible... but it flies in the face of what most of us believed. That is the point of this, my mini documentary.

That actually makes perfect sense. It's actually how Disney made it's parks and rides when he started, he took artists from his movies to create stunning environments and rides. I have been wondering if one of the 9 old men would draw up the entrance of a princess meet and greet in the form of a tiara. They wouldn't, it's stupid, it would be a fun and castle like entrance but not a huge tiara commercial.
WB did great work and I hope they keep it up for the 2.0 part.

It doesn't surprise me that they used the set designers. I went on the WB Tour a couple of weeks ago and there are areas showing the lengths they went to. For example the tiles at MoM took 7 layers of paint to get the right look on each tile, no one tile is the same.

The DA at UOR is going to be a massive version of what I saw on the tour.

Roll on December!!

From Amusement Buzz:

100_3439.jpg

100_3374.jpg

That was quick! I expected it to disappear backstage for a while. Also glad to see it has gained its third deck.

It was funny seeing it transported in two sections, convertible Knight Bus looked cool!

Uploaded on Apr 24, 2010

Yes, I have seen that video... but I heard it as a tossed-off statement. It would lead one to believe that the scenic designers from London were hopping over every so often to work with UC designers etc. This was not the case.

It has left me with the question, "what in hell did UC do other than write checks and oversee a few props?".

Yes, I have seen that video... but I heard it as a tossed-off statement. It would lead one to believe that the scenic designers from London were hopping over every so often to work with UC designers etc. This was not the case.

It has left me with the question, "what in hell did UC do other than write checks and oversee a few props?".
I would imagine FJ and co-ordinating contractors. And stuff like the logistics and tech for the special FX like the house elf shadows in The Three Broomsticks.

So, these were built off site somewhere, yes? And just dropped into place? So this *somewhere* possibly has lots of other things built and ready to be dropped into place, yes?

I don't suppose anyone knows where that is...

This to me looks like one of these....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x48760534979daafd:0x74f1176d182c1984

The history of them is here;
http://www.cabbieblog.com/blog/green-cab-shelters/

Edit: Oops, meant to copy the green building in from your post, but it hasn't copied it over! :)

A lot of these are used as either souvenir stalls in London or as cheap cafes for taxi drivers.

This to me looks like one of these....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x48760534979daafd:0x74f1176d182c1984

The history of them is here;
http://www.cabbieblog.com/blog/green-cab-shelters/

Edit: Oops, meant to copy the green building in from your post, but it hasn't copied it over! :)

A lot of these are used as either souvenir stalls in London or as cheap cafes for taxi drivers.

Yeah, someone else discovered that a few pages ago. Probably will sell similar things.

Way bigger then I thought It would be. It's actual life sized. I thought they would scale is down a bit. I can see the line to get into Diagon swirling around it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.