Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 400 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else at least a little disappointed that their is only one ride in Diagon Alley?

- - - Updated - - -

This is bull because disney has a bookcase at the Haunted Mansion line that pushes the books in and out.
Actually the designers specifically cited the HM queue bookshelves for their planned effect, but because it's a 20' wall safety was afraid kids would try to climb it and get their fingers pinched. Also the original wall would have been much thicker. That's why Alan Gilmore came up with the current design.

- - - Updated - - -

My family thinks somethings is wrong with me. I've been talking about this for the past couple months.

With Hogsmead, you have 4 rides to choose from. In Diagon Alley, their is 1 and in London, you can consider 2. However, I feel like in the land, D.A itself, their should've been at least one more ride. Obviously, we all are kinda obsessed and will explore the shops but for the majority, they'll probably walk in and out in just 2 min. Once they ride G.B, there is no other ride. They will have to ride the H.E and leave the park.

TAKE OUT FEAR FACTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be fair, I felt there was more to do and see in DA with only 2 rides (and 1 was mostly inoperable) than in all of Hogsmeade. I spent about 10 hours over 2 days inside and there are still things I didn't have time to explore.

- - - Updated - - -

Did any of the press ask about the lack of cold air and other effects on HE?

The 2nd time I rode HE there was cold air during the Dementor attack but it's subtle. No leg ticklers but I think that was only ever fan speculation, and wouldn't really fit into what happens on the ride. The quality of the video screens, audio effects, and other little touches more than made up for it.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
...So Platform 9 3/4 is just a hallway when you run through it? That is incredibly disappointing to me. I was convinced it looked as real when you walked through as it does in the video.

It looks "real" when you see other people go through, but when you walk there is just a neat sound effect. Still a neat gag, but remarkably simple once you see it done.

I do think we need to keep some perspective in remembering that it is actually impossible to run through a brick wall :lol: I'm amazed it looks as good as it does in the videos.

Glad to hear there is a cold effect on the HE as well Seth; that did seem like an unbelievable missed opportunity when it was reported that it wasn't there.

I do think we need to keep some perspective in remembering that it is actually impossible to run through a brick wall :lol: I'm amazed it looks as good as it does in the videos.

Glad to hear there is a cold effect on the HE as well Seth; that did seem like an unbelievable missed opportunity when it was reported that it wasn't there.
This.

So, now we can worry what it will look like to see hundreds go through at any one moment.

On another note... what is happening in Diagon this evening? (I know there are people going through, but who are they (short of the few people I am friends with)? Is there a title for this evening?

Last edited:
When it comes to the wall effect, they couldve done an optical illusion to use, similar to the effect from the movie Labriynth

The back wall is themed to the brick wall, and when you walk straight towards it, it looks like a single wall, but you walk through the opening and to the left.

The main issue though, is the effect gets ruined by the person in front of you in the line by seeing it happen. The only way around that would be one by one each person goes through, instead of a conga line.

I think the effect they use, is a great idea and a logical concession.

Last edited:
The writer of that article is from the Associated Press, and its being published all over the place, if you google the headline it comes up in multiple spots. Thats absolutely laaaazy journalism.

The comments are just as bad, I had to go off on them a little bit and rant on yahoo.

Its amazing how dumb people are.

Last edited:
The stuff the media reports makes me crazy. People who have no clue about what they're writing about writing articles with the potential to influence thousands of people. Yeah, great idea :rolleyes:

The writer of that article is from the Associated Press, and its being published all over the place, if you google the headline it comes up in multiple spots. Thats absolutely laaaazy journalism.

The comments are just as bad, I had to go off on them a little bit and rant on yahoo.

Its amazing how dumb people are.

It's 2014, that's just how the news works now :look:

[video=youtube_share;5kgOWZ_FYfA]http://youtu.be/5kgOWZ_FYfA[/video]

TPI's last paragraph here is most telling. Kinda sad actually.

"We rode Escape from Gringotts after the celebrity red carpet event on Wednesday night. (Brian stepped into the same seat Matthew Lewis [Neville Longbottom] was stepping out of at the load/unload platform.) On our first ride, the ride system stalled during the first troll attack, leading us to creep through the next two scenes in a slow-motion safety mode, before picking up the video during the initial Voldemort attack. Unfortunately, the audio failed to synch properly, keeping us from following the rest of the story. When we returned to the station, the Universal ride attendants kindly allowed us to remain in our seats for a second attempt, during which the ride functioned flawlessly.

Unfortunately for many other invitees, Escape from Gringotts didn't accommodate them with complete shows, and most others we spoke with this week failed to get through without interruption, or to get on the ride at all. Universal has declared July 8 to be the official public opening for Diagon Alley, allowing the park nearly three more weeks to work out all the kinks and get the ride functioning with more reliability. "

We must remember however, that the safety systems are set to hair triggers right now. I wonder if the rides reset requires eyes-on of each components reset. I recall that spider-man was just as sensitive back in 1999.

Last edited:
I really like this new Butterbeer glass! It's more in the style of the ones seen in the movies, and I like that it's distinct from the Hog's Head Brew mug I already have. Will likely be buying one of these.

From instagram.com/orlandomyway:

10424400_1528712124015605_1348683174_n.jpg

Reactions: natespf
TPI's last paragraph here is most telling. Kinda sad actually.

"We rode Escape from Gringotts after the celebrity red carpet event on Wednesday night. (Brian stepped into the same seat Matthew Lewis [Neville Longbottom] was stepping out of at the load/unload platform.) On our first ride, the ride system stalled during the first troll attack, leading us to creep through the next two scenes in a slow-motion safety mode, before picking up the video during the initial Voldemort attack. Unfortunately, the audio failed to synch properly, keeping us from following the rest of the story. When we returned to the station, the Universal ride attendants kindly allowed us to remain in our seats for a second attempt, during which the ride functioned flawlessly.

Unfortunately for many other invitees, Escape from Gringotts didn't accommodate them with complete shows, and most others we spoke with this week failed to get through without interruption, or to get on the ride at all. Universal has declared July 8 to be the official public opening for Diagon Alley, allowing the park nearly three more weeks to work out all the kinks and get the ride functioning with more reliability. "

We must remember however, that the safety systems are set to hair triggers right now. I wonder if the rides reset requires eyes-on of each components reset. I recall that spider-man was just as sensitive back in 1999.

That really is very unfortunate. The thing which makes it painful is that it is so worth showing off - and would likely utterly floor most of these people if working properly - but they can't communicate that.

Also, another three weeks doesn't seem that long in the context of this ride's total prep time to date. My fingers are severely crossed right now.

Scotland already had powers devolved in 1998, I think you mean the independence vote :thumbs:

On that subject, do you think the HE will introduce a passport control check half way through the ride for even more authenticity if Scotland votes Yes? :sneaky:

But the Hogwards Express bridges the gap between two eras of the 90s, not present day.

i really was hoping to get more out of him being down there.

Btw i'm a new member, but i've been a long time lurker. Just want to thank everyone on here for everything. I've seen a lot of great discussion and gotten a lot of really good info :smiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.