Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 3 | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 3

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I went this morning and it was an amazing experience, even better than the grand opening of Hogsmeade. Walking through the wall to Diagon and seeing all the staff, the confetti, and the red carpet was thrilling. I was nearly in tears as we headed to Gringotts. It was very overwhelming. The line for Gringotts when it opened was basically an unorganized cluster outside the building, so my group ended up in pretty good shape. Our wait time was maybe an hour. And wow. That queue. Breathtaking. I have so much more I could say, but I have been up for nearly 48 hours, and have been at Universal since 3:45 (we had to camp out in a McDonald's parking lot because they turned us away until 5AM).

is the line actually that long or is it posted high to discourage people? Also, I haven't seen any pics from that outdoor extended queue everyone was complaining about a few weeks ago! Anyone see any?

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually pretty cool that a line could get that long and still not get backed up into the land!

Here's one

BsBvlhKCMAASPkC.jpg

is the line actually that long or is it posted high to discourage people? Also, I haven't seen any pics from that outdoor extended queue everyone was complaining about a few weeks ago! Anyone see any?

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually pretty cool that a line could get that long and still not get backed up into the land!

Actually the reason the wait time is so high and not out into the street is because the amount of people in line is not as many as you would think. The capacity on this ride is so low that less people would be in line for a 340 minute wait than say if they were in line for transformers and it had that kind of wait. So actually it is not cool at all.

Actually the reason the wait time is so high and not out into the street is because the amount of people in line is not as many as you would think. The capacity on this ride is so low that less people would be in line for a 340 minute wait than say if they were in line for transformers and it had that kind of wait. So actually it is not cool at all.

Eh, I think they have it running at higher than Midway Mania capacity right now so it'll work for now.

From what a lot of people have been saying, it sounds like they may have overcompensated a bit with Ollivanders' capacity. If there's no wait during this chaos, it's hard to imagine there will ever be much wait to speak of.

I wonder if they have any contingency plan that would allow them to reclaim one of the showrooms to expand the retail store or for something else.

(Or better yet, keep the three showrooms and close the Hogsmeade branch! Put in a real Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop or other awesome thing.:thumbs:)

I believe after today the crowds will be disbursed more evenly when they're not all in the gringotts queue. Once it gains more capacity you'll see more people spending time in the land. Also a lot of the people that were there today were on potterwatch for the last week and were able to do all the stuff in the land during softs so for them gringotts was the only thing they needed to do. Once more regular guests come in the next few days you'll see a lot more interests in everything diagon has to offer!

Eh, I think they have it running at higher than Midway Mania capacity right now so it'll work for now.

I am sorry, nothing should be compared to the capacity of Midway Mania. What is the capacity of MM anyways? Also, it will not work for now. 360 minute waits is never good for now. They need to figure out how to more cars on ASAP because people are spending too much time in line and not enough time spending money. Trust me, Uni is very concerned that waits got as high as they did. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a fix soon that they don't do temp return tickets of some kind. They want people in the shops, not in line for a ride.

I know we all like to bash Disney and praise Uni and I think Uni has done a really good job on this expansion. However the capacity of Gringotts and the 360 minute wait is a DISASTER. If Disney did the same thing with 7 Dwarfs we would be all over them of how this is a huge failure and how much they screwed up. Let's not all forget, Uni screwed this one up.

From what a lot of people have been saying, it sounds like they may have overcompensated a bit with Ollivanders' capacity. If there's no wait during this chaos, it's hard to imagine there will ever be much wait to speak of.

I wonder if they have any contingency plan that would allow them to reclaim one of the showrooms to expand the retail store or for something else.

(Or better yet, keep the three showrooms and close the Hogsmeade branch! Put in a real Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop or other awesome thing.:thumbs:)

The store is incredibly small (compared to the others), I had a hard time just getting from one side to another.

I am sorry, nothing should be compared to the capacity of Midway Mania. What is the capacity of MM anyways? Also, it will not work for now. 360 minute waits is never good for now. They need to figure out how to more cars on ASAP because people are spending too much time in line and not enough time spending money. Trust me, Uni is very concerned that waits got as high as they did. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a fix soon that they don't do temp return tickets of some kind. They want people in the shops, not in line for a ride.

I know we all like to bash Disney and praise Uni and I think Uni has done a really good job on this expansion. However the capacity of Gringotts and the 360 minute wait is a DISASTER. If Disney did the same thing with 7 Dwarfs we would be all over them of how this is a huge failure and how much they screwed up. Let's not all forget, Uni screwed this one up.

Screwed up what? Not having the capacity to fulfill the demand for a highly-anticipated new attraction on opening day? Did Disney screw up the Nemo Submarine Voyage or Radiator Springs Racers when they opened to 6 hour waits?

It's the first day. Obviously all this will die down. If there's still 7 hour waits in a week, we'll see about how they "screwed up."

Yeah, I'm down with this idea. It never really belonged in Hogsmeade anyway.

Gringotts is running at half capacity today and had quite a few breakdowns. More breakdowns were likely if they were running at full, which probably would have made the line even longer. Universal did not "screw this one up". The wait time was going to be crazy anyway, especially since it wasn't open for softs the last week so no one really got a chance to ride it. Before we rule that Gringotts capacity is horrible, let's wait until it's not breaking down and running at full, shall we?

What was the wait time for SDMT this morning? oh yeah, none...it was broken down again.

Yeah, I'm down with this idea. It never really belonged in Hogsmeade anyway.

Gringotts is running at half capacity today and had quite a few breakdowns. More breakdowns were likely if they were running at full, which probably would have made the line even longer. Universal did not "screw this one up". The wait time was going to be crazy anyway, especially since it wasn't open for softs the last week so no one really got a chance to ride it. Before we rule that Gringotts capacity is horrible, let's wait until it's not breaking down and running at full, shall we?

I never said capacity was going to be a problem in the long run. But not having their main ride at full capacity day one was a major disaster. Sure, new rides break down all the time and having a couple breakdowns during the day is understandable. But having it run at half capacity to me is a disaster. You need your star ride at full capacity. When 7 Dwarfs was rumored to not be opening at full capacity everyone was all over that how Disney screwed up, but Uni doing the same is not a screw up? It is. If it was running at full capacity waits would not be as long and people would have been spread out thru out the land spending money.

I guarantee Uni is NOT happy with this opening. They would have much preferred their star ride at 100% capacity with a handful of breakdowns than what they have for today.

"A DISASTER"? "Uni screwed this one up"?

I'm sorry, but I think these are ridiculous phrases to be using at this point. Today Diagon Alley had the biggest crowds it will EVER have, and most of them are focused on Gringotts because it's the only feature that hasn't yet been open to the general public.

And you're right, people aren't all over Disney because of 7 Dwarfs' capacity. They're all over Disney because 7 Dwarfs is a nice D-ticket with great scenery that took them an UNFATHOMABLY LONG TIME to build when they have had virtually nothing else in the works for the near future. Then they squandered the opportunity to appeal to nostalgia and legacy by launching a cringe-inducing advertising campaign with rapping dwarfs in dark shades.

I'd also like to point out that Gringotts is a groundbreaking ride utilizing never before used technology. 7DMT is a nice ride but it's hardly innovative, and was long overdue. Gringotts is not nearly at that point. If it takes a terribly long time to get to full capacity I would understand your sentiments but at this point, I really have to disagree...

Anyone want to guess how many Gringotts dragon pics that HTF will have posted on twitter by the end of this week? ;)

Last edited:
I never said capacity was going to be a problem in the long run. But not having their main ride at full capacity day one was a major disaster. Sure, new rides break down all the time and having a couple breakdowns during the day is understandable. But having it run at half capacity to me is a disaster. You need your star ride at full capacity. When 7 Dwarfs was rumored to not be opening at full capacity everyone was all over that how Disney screwed up, but Uni doing the same is not a screw up? It is. If it was running at full capacity waits would not be as long and people would have been spread out thru out the land spending money.

I guarantee Uni is NOT happy with this opening. They would have much preferred their star ride at 100% capacity with a handful of breakdowns than what they have for today.

I agree that there is undoubtedly a double-standard regarding Disney vs Universal. But I dont think Gringotts is a disaster...I applaud Uni for having it open at all considering its technological complexity. A disaster would be delaying opening.

That being said, 7 Dwarves' capacity issues (which were just pessimistic predictions anyway) was not a disaster either and was way overhyped here.

The only thing concerning me about Gringotts is that up to now they've had 24 hour access to tinker and experiment with it. From this point on, they have to balance working on the ride with it actually being open, potentially for 14 or 15 hours per day. Progress is bound to be slower - even if they know exactly what needs to be done (which I doubt they do yet anyway), testing and adjusting will be obstructed by operational requirements.