Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Zootopia (SDL)

Zootopia was a really good movie. I’m glad they are giving it proper respect (even if it isn’t in NA)

I think it's telling they aren't automatically saying an exclusive on this.

Also tells me, Zootopia 2 is in some form of development as of now; if they intend on riding this through. It makes money, a funny amount; and a part of me would expect it to pop up sooner than later in the states...but not at DAK.

__

Food for thought though..what if this replaces Pooh?

China is going to ban Winnie The Pooh in the coming months, so it'd only be natural if maybe Disney wanted to snuff the bear and his pals out, to avoid conflict with the Chinese government?

Last edited:
Anyway interesting theory here...

I saw Hastin's post, and thought about it. Then I proceeded to edit a post in particular, to kind-of..bring that up.

It would..spark some questions. For one, size. Pooh seems very much of a micro-section to Fantasyland; acting only as a dead end. You can't do much, unless you intend on radically changing how you get the parades around the park for their next performance. And there's the question of the launch bay's for all of the fireworks.

So basically anything that doesn’t fit perfectly with the other parks just throw it in Hollywood Studios? Flawless logic!

I mean, the intent that Hollywood Studios is starting to shift in, is to "live" in the worlds of these movies and projects that Disney has made.

TSL and Batuu come extremely quick.

What interests me with the Shanghai Zootopia, is where they could go with it.

If it replaces Pooh, would it be a simple retheme? Or would they completely demolish the area, leaving only the spinner to be rethemed to Mad Tea Party?

So basically anything that doesn’t fit perfectly with the other parks just throw it in Hollywood Studios? Flawless logic!

Zootopia, being a city, is an urban environment, and the story has nothing to do with any of Animal Kingdom's thematic concerns about respect for wildlife and attempting to live in harmony or balance with nature.

Just because a story is populated by anthropomorphic animals does not mean it belongs in Animal Kingdom.

I mean, the intent that Hollywood Studios is starting to shift in, is to "live" in the worlds of these movies and projects that Disney has made.

TSL and Batuu come extremely quick.

I would assume, they'd do similar for Zootopia; taking you into that world, and making it an immersive experience.
I just feel that Zootopia is a no brainer for Animal Kingdom. Okay, I get it, it’s a completely loose tie-in because it has animals. But, I’m pretty sure NOBODY that enters animal kingdom will scratch there head wondering why a city with an animal themed land is in the park. This actually would make more sense than Avatar.

So basically ANY themed land could fit Hollywood studios? I disagree 100% with this. Toy Story Land doesn’t fit with any of the parks in Orlando. They just dumped it in HS because it’s geared towards kids and it needed that in the park.

Zootopia, being a city, is an urban environment, and the story has nothing to do with any of Animal Kingdom's thematic concerns about respect for wildlife and attempting to live in harmony or balance with nature.

Just because a story is populated by anthropomorphic animals does not mean it belongs in Animal Kingdom.
Neither does Avatar and yet it worked beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically ANY themed land could fit Hollywood studios? I disagree 100% with this. Toy Story Land doesn’t fit with any of the parks in Orlando. They just dumped it in HS because it’s geared towards kids and it needed that in the park.

I feel like we're going to be bringing this DANGEROUSLY off-topic, buuuut...

I never said ANY themed land. That's not the intention of Galaxy's Edge, and while TSL was a call made to cater towards expanding their use of the Toy Story IP in a large-scale fashion that none of the domestic parks have done thus far.

Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai; have all pushed towards that. And with TS4 being as it is, it would make sense to capitalize on an "Evergreen" Pixar IP. One in particular, that made 3D animation what it is today.

And even then, with TSL being in Orlando; they made sure for when you are within the land itself, to try to make it as well done as they could (even with the mountains of Batuu to the left). The Picket Fence theming, can be an example of that.

Also, while I do think aspects of Pandora don't work with DAK at all..it blends in better than what Zootopia could.

__

Can we talk about the domestic parks getting Zootopia to it's own thread though? Especially considering, this thread is about a Zootopia land in Shanghai? ;)

I feel like we're going to be bringing this DANGEROUSLY off-topic, buuuut...

I never said ANY themed land. That's not the intention of Galaxy's Edge, and while TSL was a call made to cater towards expanding their use of the Toy Story IP in a large-scale fashion that none of the domestic parks have done thus far.

Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai; have all pushed towards that. And with TS4 being as it is, it would make sense to capitalize on an "Evergreen" Pixar IP. One in particular, that made 3D animation what it is today.

And even then, with TSL being in Orlando; they made sure for when you are within the land itself, to try to make it as well done as they could (even with the mountains of Batuu to the left). The Picket Fence theming, can be an example of that.

Also, while I do think aspects of Pandora don't work with DAK at all..it blends in better than what Zootopia could.

__

Can we talk about the domestic parks getting Zootopia to it's own thread though? Especially considering, this thread is about a Zootopia land in Shanghai? ;)
Well you already said that this was a stupid land to add in this park before it was officially announced. So there’s not much to talk about on this topic with you huh?

Nothing really in the article but it does say “unique to Shanghai...” which could just mean that it’s only found here as of now.
“Try everything!” The phrase isn’t just the theme of Walt Disney Animation Studios’ hit animated movie Zootopia—it’s also the motto of Disney park enthusiasts around the world. From the most thrilling roller coaster the latest high-tech attraction, Disney parks fans are ready to try it all—which is why guests at Shanghai Disneyland will have another reason to start singing along with Gazelle.

Shanghai Disney Resort just announced an exciting new expansion that will bring the characters and stories from Zootopia, to life. There’s plenty of reasons to be wildly excited for this expansion: When it opens, Zootopia will become the eighth themed land at the world’s newest Disney park and the first-ever Zootopia-themed land at any Disney park worldwide! Park guests will be able to enter the world of Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde for the very first time and discover what it is like to visit the place where animals can be anything they want.

780w-463h_012219_shanghai-expansion-announcement-1.jpg

Zootopia will be unique to Shanghai Disneyland and will feature a new, major attraction that seamlessly blends Disney’s storytelling and state-of-the-art technologies in order to bring this fan-favorite movie and its characters to life. The new themed land will also invite guests to fully immerse themselves in the mammalian metropolis of Zootopia, and come along on an adventure with Judy and Nick. With a brand-new attraction, entertainment, merchandise, and food and beverage offerings, the new land will provide guests with even more to experience and enjoy at Shanghai Disneyland than ever before.

“We are thrilled to announce that Shanghai Disneyland will be home to the world’s first Zootopia-themed land,” said Bob Chapek, Chairman of Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, The Walt Disney Company. “The rapid rate of expansion at Shanghai Disney Resort demonstrates our confidence and commitment to the Company’s future development in China.”

The box office record-breaking movie was China’s No. 1 animated feature film in history, meaning guests at Shanghai Disneyland already want to “try everything.” Of course, no matter where you travel, you’re sure to find a fan or two—Judy and Nick can currently be found greeting guests at Disney parks worldwide, and will soon be joined by other Zootopia friends at their very own land at Shanghai Disney Resort.

“Since the resort’s Grand Opening in 2016, Shanghai Disneyland has gone from strength to strength – continuing to expand and enjoying ever-rising attendance rates while also providing a safe and enjoyable experience for our guests,” said Yang Jinsong, Chairman of Disney’s Chinese joint venture partner for Shanghai Disney Resort – Shanghai Shendi Group. “Shanghai Disneyland has rapidly become one of the fastest growing Disney parks and has been key to the development of the Shanghai International Resort as one of the most visited leisure destinations in the country. This new expansion will provide our guests with an even richer selection of offerings, and will further boost our market competitiveness.”

Construction on Zootopia is targeted to begin later this year. Stay tuned for more updates from Disney Parks and Resorts around the world!

Well you already said that this was a stupid land to add in this park before it was officially announced. So there’s not much to talk about on this topic with you huh?

tenor.gif

That said, it makes stupid sense for Zootopia to be at Shanghai, more-so than Avatar.

Stupid Land, and Stupid Sense; are two different thing's. ;)

Nothing really in the article but it does say “unique to Shanghai...” which could just mean that it’s only found here as of now.

I would venture to guess, it'd be just as "Unique to Shanghai" as to how Tron was "Unique to Shanghai".

__

Zootopia has a lot of climates, and a lot of attraction possibilities.

If I'm willing to bet, I am almost thinking this is their Pandora; with one attraction being a simulator using the Flight of Passage system as you "Glide around the many places that inhabit the commune of herbivores and carnivores".

And the other, would be the proper dark ride, with both Judy and Nick present.