The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 138 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
During a hurricane dont you thing the towers can fall since they are open to the elements??

These buildings are all engineered to withstand at least a Cat 3 hurricane. There was very little structural damage to IOA after Hurricane Charlie in 2004. The thing to watch for are the signs and smaller decorations. POE had quite a bit of decorative damage but they just pulled that stuff out of the show for a while. Also, the awnings in the ticket area were ripped to pieces and were MIA for quite some time.

These buildings are all engineered to withstand at least a Cat 3 hurricane. There was very little structural damage to IOA after Hurricane Charlie in 2004. The thing to watch for are the signs and smaller decorations. POE had quite a bit of decorative damage but they just pulled that stuff out of the show for a while. Also, the awnings in the ticket area were ripped to pieces and were MIA for quite some time.

only a cat 3?

I said, "at least" and it might be higher. Very few structures are built to survive every aspect of a Cat 5 unscathed. Windows will blow out, some roofing elements might rip off. The structure will probably not fail however.

I know TMs are given certain info but also they are told to say certain things to make those package people happy. They can say you will have "exclusive access" because you will for the 1 hr. (telling only a half truth per say) that's part of your package. Nobody should expect to be given an "upgrade" on your package where you would get the whole day to yourself. Only thing I could see is if they tried to swing it for only TMs/Passholders/Hotel guests during those weeks but even that would end bad.

As far as the arch: "Welcome to Jurassic.......WTF is a castle doing on my island!!!!" I mean really its a comic strip waiting to happen someone with drawing skills get on that. But plants would be nice or just move the arch so we can't take a pic of the arch with the whole frickin' castle in in.

They could even just rotate the arch to the left a bit. Then that angle wouldn't be visible.

As far as the show buliding, people, it's a theme park. Deal.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pics that I took last week...i thought they were pretty cool.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

The JP entrance is a giant concrete structure. You guys are talking about it is just so easy to pick it up and move. Its not happening. They will plant trees, and more than likely bamboo like they did at Animal Kingdom to hide Everest from those waiting in line for Nemo. Those grow extremely tall and can hide anything you want. It may take a year, but it'll happen, so till then, deal with it and enjoy the experience for what it is.

Edit:
Once you're able to enjoy it.:dance:

Last edited:
^^I third that, if WB are being uptight when it comes to a building, they then don't realize that the millions of people coming won't care. They want to ride the ride, enjoy the area and be immersed. Only us, the hardcore fans are going to be walking in there like Carlos Mencia saying "dee dee dee, I see a big building, dee dee dee, that doesn't look like a castle to me, dee dee dee."

So... final thought. When I was eleven years old. I loved magic, special effects especially fire effects. I also had an "on call" for dry ice from the local grocery store. Fog, Fire, Magic... that is what I loved as an 11 year old. I was always using wet flammable rubber cement to destroy a hot-wheels car with fire. It was so cool. So, why was 11 so special I wonder. Do all 11 year old boys like such stuff. And what could possibly be the importance of 11? 12,13,14 I had graduated to black gun powder for smoke and expensive boxes for tricks. And yet, I recall 11. Not sure why. Sorry to share a boring part of my life with you on here. Back to the dieing discussion.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
only a cat 3?

The design wind speed for structures in the Orlando area is 140 MPH. This would put that in category IV. In addition to the wind speeds there are also exposure categories which have to be considered (i.e. how much stuff there is in the surroundings to block wind) and the height is also a factor. Im sure the structural integrity of the turrets will withstand 140 mph winds, and most likely more. The structural steel is all tied together to the building structure so we would probably see the precast panels flying off the turret before we'd ever see the whole turret come a'tumblin down. I dont know if they have designed them to withstand robot attacks or giant lizard attacks, I couldnt find those criteria in any engineering publications.

So... final thought. When I was eleven years old. I loved magic, special effects especially fire effects. I also had an "on call" for dry ice from the local grocery store. Fog, Fire, Magic... that is what I loved as an 11 year old. I was always using wet flammable rubber cement to destroy a hot-wheels car with fire. It was so cool. So, why was 11 so special I wonder. Do all 11 year old boys like such stuff. And what could possibly be the importance of 11? 12,13,14 I had graduated to black gun powder for smoke and expensive boxes for tricks. And yet, I recall 11. Not sure why. Sorry to share a boring part of my life with you on here. Back to the dieing discussion.

Have a nice day.

It's called a coincidence. And blowing things up is not magic, nor is it normal.

Have a nice day.

Seems to me like you're saying that there is a nifty coincidence that you go to Hogwarts when you're 11, and IoA turns 11 soon. Hmm.