Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

Jul 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
OK, since this is being discussed on multiple sites, I thought I should just start a thread.

And here is how I heard that it played out. Universal asked Warner Bros. to approach the Tolkien family since the Tolkien's trust WB with the success of the LOTR series. WB described how Universal was willing to work with JK Rowling and how the 2 of them (WB and JK) held Universal's feet to the fire to uphold Rowling's vision of the IP. And I believe that the Tolkien's may have actually talked to JK Rowling. This was before Universal said a word to the Tolkien's. So after WB stoked the fire, Universal entered the picture with an impressive plan.

As of now there is a lot of hammering out to go, but Universal has gotten a lot farther than Disney ever did.

I put this in the general/misc. Universal thread because no one knows where/which park this would go into. But given the scope, I don't believe that the remaining LC would be large enough. If I had to guess, I would say the half of the cast parking lot closest to USF. with the back half becoming a cast member parking garage.

Does Universal have any more plans to acquire land at this point? If not for a park, then for employees so they could have a parking lot for them just off-site and make more room for theme parks on-site for guests since like you said they may have to go into the cast parking lot.

I would love to see what they can do with this property. I can't even imagine what kind of ride they would design for this property.

I think Uni would do this right. Especially seeing how these big franchises (with huge world-wide fan following) can mean big business for them, I'd say that today they'd confidently go all out for a project like this, even more so that they did with Wizarding World: Phase I (Hogsmeade/Hogwarts).

Unless they open a whole third gate in the remaining empty lot south of Universal (which I doubt), the only two places I'd consider for this are the cast parking area Disneyhead mentioned, or maybe take out Toon Lagoon and re-theme it to Middle Earth. The current cast parking is all ground level, so if they build a parking structure with several levels, it'd take up a lot less space than the current lot.

Now, if this ever happens, I hope the land includes elements of Hobbits, Elves and Mordor. And they must have a Gollum AA :faint:

Last edited:
As for me, I really REALLY hope this happens. Although if it does, I would rather it end up in IOA since it was primarily a literature property. The studios don't really make sense to me. Is there any space in IOA left?
If I had to guess, I would say the half of the cast parking lot closest to USF. with the back half becoming a cast member parking garage.
Personally, I hope this parking garage thing happens because the more room for attractions the better. Maybe a different property for the studios though?

- - - Updated - - -

Now, if this ever happens, I hope the land includes elements of Hobbits, Elves and Mordor. And they must have a Gollum AA :faint:

Oh. My. God. Yes. :jaw:

Gotta say, I would be disappointed if this was the next big thing. Does that mean I think they can't do it well? No. But I honestly have no interest whatsoever in seeing the franchise come to the parks. I'm not a Potter guy, but I still acknowledged the fact that some really cool stuff could be done with the series. I wasn't excited about Potter coming to the parks as a franchise, but as a genre it got my attention. I'm no LOTR fan either. I know it's one of the most popular and well received franchises of all time, it just doesn't do it for me. It's not something I think of when I think about what I'd like to experience in a theme park. Now, as a theme park fan I know Universal would put the money into making it an amazing experience, I just wouldn't care for it outside of it being something new and more than likely something amazing.

As for me, I really REALLY hope this happens. Although if it does, I would rather it end up in IOA since it was primarily a literature property. The studios don't really make sense to me. Is there any space in IOA left?

With WB being the "Gatekeeper" of the IP, like they were with Potter, they are definitely planning on the visual sensibilities of the Peter Jackson movies. So I can easily see it fitting in with the new USF (Potter, Springfield), which is headed more towards fully realized themed lands instead generic "sets" (New York City, Hollywood).

That said, I see similar challenges to bringing something like Rivendell to life that Disney is facing with the Floating Mountains and bioluminescent Forests of Avatar.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta say, I would be disappointed if this was the next big thing. Does that mean I think they can't do it well? No. But I honestly have no interest whatsoever in seeing the franchise come to the parks. I'm not a Potter guy, but I still acknowledged the fact that some really cool stuff could be done with the series. I wasn't excited about Potter coming to the parks as a franchise, but as a genre it got my attention. I'm no LOTR fan either. I know it's one of the most popular and well received franchises of all time, it just doesn't do it for me. It's not something I think of when I think about what I'd like to experience in a theme park. Now, as a theme park fan I know Universal would put the money into making it an amazing experience, I just wouldn't care for it outside of it being something new and more than likely something amazing.

My brother HATES Fantasy Fiction (Potter, LOTR). He is into stuff like Da Vinci Code and Lincoln. So I have to wonder. What IP WOULD you like to see brought to life in a theme park environment?

My brother HATES Fantasy Fiction (Potter, LOTR). He is into stuff like Da Vinci Code and Lincoln. So I have to wonder. What IP WOULD you like to see brought to life in a theme park environment?

If I could pick anything? Give me Star Trek since Disney probably won't do Star Wars right. Honestly if LOTR came before Potter, I'd probably be more favorable. It's just like more of the same in a way to someone who isn't a fan of both. I wouldn't say I'd HATE it, I just would like to see a different direction. But regardless, I'll probably still love it like I love WWOHP.

If I could pick anything? Give me Star Trek since Disney probably won't do Star Wars right. Honestly if LOTR came before Potter, I'd probably be more favorable. It's just like more of the same in a way to someone who isn't a fan of both. I wouldn't say I'd HATE it, I just would like to see a different direction. But regardless, I'll probably still love it like I love WWOHP.

I would instantly become the biggest LotR fan if it brings about the demolition of Toon Lagoon!

So, it sounds like this could possibly go in the Studios side of the theme parks. Is LOTR a fit in the Studios? I think IOA would be better, but what land would we lose? Maybe Toon Lagoon?

LOTR? ummm...okay :shrug: but.Star Trek!? That would be something really.cool. I remember a long time ago going to USH with my family and seeing the USS Enterprise during the studio tour. Even though it would be cool to simply walk into Mordor lol :lol: And yes if Uni does do a LOTR land Gollum is a must as are the Ringwraiths and Gandalf. :thumbs:

Looking at it from above, it looks like there's space enough for it in LC. I would be extremely disappointed if they tossed Toon Lagoon for this (yes, I do like it :p). I think to make it feel truly like the fantasy world it is, it would be better utilized in IOA. The Studios feels less geared towards fantasy worlds and more... Well, I don't know how to describe it. Buildings and soundstages feel like they fit better over there. Like it's more "clean cut" or "modern" for lack of a better word. I think it would be a culture shock going from Seuss Landing into it, but I think it would feel more out of place over in the studios.

I will take anything that destroys Toon Lagoon. Build new water rides if you have to, but I despise that entire section of the park. I keep hoping Lost Continent gets a massive rehaul and gets turned back into the epic section it should've been; just kill Poseidon's Fury and even Sinbad if needed.

Someone please tell me how they could use employee parking for an addition to US. They are completely boxed in on that side with attractions that cannot be removed at present. I would quicker think they would rip out ET and the entire childrens area or move the fireworks bunkers off site and put something there.

While I would be sad to see Toon Lagoon go, it is a logical choice for the axe. It has charm for sure, but how many people from this generation know those properties? Sure, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, and Cathy still appear in some newspapers' funnies, but for the most part those are retired properties. Plus, as someone who does not like to walk around a theme park wet, I'd like some more dry rides here :thumbs:

In terms of urban planning logistics, if LOTR is added to IOA, it needs to go on the other side of the park, not adjacent to the other hugely popular land.

Last edited:
Someone please tell me how they could use employee parking for an addition to US. They are completely boxed in on that side with attractions that cannot be removed at present. I would quicker think they would rip out ET and the entire childrens area or move the fireworks bunkers off site and put something there.

This. The main Universal infrastructure buildings are in place (logically) next to the parking lot. And then they are boxed in by the WWoHP 2.0, Disaster, and RoTM. They will not do anything over there.

And to be quite honest, I don't see them bringing any LOTR properties near USF. Books have always belonged in IoA and it will stay that way. USF is real life locations and comparable to real life locations. (Springfield is comparable to an average city)

Not saying it's very likely, but if WWOHP 2 facilitates a means to access that side near the employee parking, it's possible. Heck, they're connecting the two parks by weaving a train through nearly their entire backstage. If they want to do it, they'll figure out how. Given the distance, I'd say a covered walkway would be more likely. They could still hide park infrastructure; Busch Gardens does a great job of hiding its backstage areas with tunnels, bridges covered with ivy and other berms.

As for books belonging to IOA, Diagon Alley.

I'm very excited if this happens! I'm a little surprised you said LC was too little for this, but who cares, the bigger the better! As for where to put it, I'd guess either Toon Lagoon or somewhere in USF. I'll check space in a few minutes.

UPDATE: If they created a pathway between WWOHP and FFL, you could access Middle Earth.

Last edited:
I'm very excited if this happens! I'm a little surprised you said LC was too little for this, but who cares, the bigger the better! As for where to put it, I'd guess either Toon Lagoon or somewhere in USF. I'll check space in a few minutes.

UPDATE: If they created a pathway between WWOHP and FFL, you could access Middle Earth.

they would have to put in more people movers if they did that

wait for it

wait

Because one doesn't simply walk into Mordor