Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shanghai Disneyland

The AA hasn't been working properly since day one, so maybe they will fix it or make a Disco Croc.

This isn't AA related. If it hasn't been working this long, I'd assume they'd wait until a planned refurb to fix it. I personally think this is safety related.

I think ORLPARKPASS needs to regulate what to post, as attractions like Splash in Tokyo walls up their attraction without staff whenever there may be inclimate weather..

I think ORLPARKPASS needs to regulate what to post, as attractions like Splash in Tokyo walls up their attraction without staff whenever there may be inclimate weather..
To be fair, they do have someone actually st the park there who has spoken to CMs, so it wasn't just a random post.

To be fair, they do have someone actually st the park there who has spoken to CMs, so it wasn't just a random post.

Shanghai Disneyland's official website also lists Roarin Rapids and Crystal Grotto as closed for refurbishment with no opening date. Upon pinging, the park said as much.

They did their due diligence as reporters.

Indefinite

adjective
not definite; without fixed or specified limit;unlimited:
an indefinite number.

Heck, that park doesn't have all that many attractions as it is. Losing a few for a while would give it a bit of a sparse feel if visiting.

For what it's worth, it looks like Voyage to the Crystal Grotto has re-opened. It's back on the general attractions page and no longer under the Closed for Scheduled Maintenance section.

Chances are Roaring Rapids will reopen sometime around Chinese New Year in Feburary, since I don't think they'd be wanting to run a water ride that get's people wet in this weather.

Articles on Shanghai Disney Land on Nikkei Asian Review and subsequently TPI (in relation to that article). Well, so much for those 25 million visitors a year rosy projections for the future. It appears that the park is on the way to 10 million for it's first year of operation (in the ball park projection). But the majority came in the first few months and now the park is slow or empty most of the time, with walkons or short lines for all but the most popular E tickets. But the worst news is that visitors are not buying merchandise or eating in the restaurants, thus guest spending (and the admission fee is low compared to USA prices) is low. Stores and restaurants are not busy or empty for the most part. The majority of people are buying their food outside the park property and bringing it in to eat. Making matters worst are low customer satisfaction ratings and negative social media buzz. It appears the park employees are even more rude than the French in Paris Disney(if that's possible). Oh well, looks like this will be another drain on Disney's finances (they own almost half the park), like Hong Kong & Paris, that will eventually affect Orlando. I did predict this, but I was hoping I would be wrong. Chinese culture & typical income are just not the base you want for high value expensive theme parks. They're more a Six Flags, or below, level country. ... ...I hope Universal is studying this well and adjusting their strategy for the Beijing park so the same scenario does not unfold.....

Not sure how much of a strategy can be adjusted for Universal. Doesn't a world class theme park command world class theme park pricing?

Disney isn't huge in China though is it? This is one thing Universal has up its sleeve, a vast mix of IP's especially with Fast & Furious and Kung Fu Panda that are huge out there. So it's easier for them to play around and make a unique park even for them, where as Disney always run off a similar pattern/style.

Not sure how much of a strategy can be adjusted for Universal. Doesn't a world class theme park command world class theme park pricing?
Maybe, for one, prohibit outside food & drinks. But this sure looks like a troublesome scenario. And, like Shanghai, I've voiced concerns over this Beijing venture for a couple of years. I just think it's bad business planning, especially if anyone has studied the history, culture and true economic situation (the much ballyhooed & over publicized Chinese middle class (?) would be a "poor" class in advanced Western countries, for one) in mainland China. Plus their totalitarian government has taken a few steps back from the so called freer economic/government philosophy, and is becoming much more like it was before the 1990's.

Last edited:
Disney isn't huge in China though is it? This is one thing Universal has up its sleeve, a vast mix of IP's especially with Fast & Furious and Kung Fu Panda that are huge out there. So it's easier for them to play around and make a unique park even for them, where as Disney always run off a similar pattern/style.
Zootopia became the highest grossing animated movie and is in the Top 10 of all time over there, and Marvel consistently does big numbers.

Articles on Shanghai Disney Land on Nikkei Asian Review and subsequently TPI (in relation to that article). Well, so much for those 25 million visitors a year rosy projections for the future. It appears that the park is on the way to 10 million for it's first year of operation (in the ball park projection). But the majority came in the first few months and now the park is slow or empty most of the time, with walkons or short lines for all but the most popular E tickets. But the worst news is that visitors are not buying merchandise or eating in the restaurants, thus guest spending (and the admission fee is low compared to USA prices) is low. Stores and restaurants are not busy or empty for the most part. The majority of people are buying their food outside the park property and bringing it in to eat. Making matters worst are low customer satisfaction ratings and negative social media buzz. It appears the park employees are even more rude than the French in Paris Disney(if that's possible). Oh well, looks like this will be another drain on Disney's finances (they own almost half the park), like Hong Kong & Paris, that will eventually affect Orlando. I did predict this, but I was hoping I would be wrong. Chinese culture & typical income are just not the base you want for high value expensive theme parks. They're more a Six Flags, or below, level country. ... ...I hope Universal is studying this well and adjusting their strategy for the Beijing park so the same scenario does not unfold.....

I think that 25 million was not a parks projection but an overall resort. Remember that MK, which has way more attractions and capacity, maxes out around 20 million a year.

Maybe, for one, prohibit outside food & drinks. But this sure looks like a troublesome scenario. And, like Shanghai, I've voiced concerns over this Beijing venture for a couple of years. I just think it's bad business planning, especially if anyone has studied the history, culture and true economic situation (the much ballyhooed & over publicized Chinese middle class (?) would be a "poor" class in advanced Western countries, for one) in mainland China. Plus their totalitarian government has taken a few steps back from the so called freer economic/government philosophy, and is becoming much more like it was before the 1990's.

Shanghai isn't a poor city. Its the headquarters for most of China's financal businesses. The issue is how Disney/whoever else decided to price things within the park. If you can get in the park for 50 USD but a slice of pizza costs $10 USD, is it really worth buying in park when right outside the park its 2 dollars? They are charging US prices for food and merch rather than Shanghai prices which is why no one is eating at the park. If Universal price points the Beijing park like they do with USJ, they should be fine. But if they try to charge like USH or USF, they won't be.

I think that 25 million was not a parks projection but an overall resort. Remember that MK, which has way more attractions and capacity, maxes out around 20 million a year.
Yeah, it surely wasn't a projection for the first year, the 10 million was that. But I did see that 25 million was often quoted as what they thought the park would do after a few years. That will never happen.

Shanghai isn't a poor city. Its the headquarters for most of China's financal businesses. The issue is how Disney/whoever else decided to price things within the park. If you can get in the park for 50 USD but a slice of pizza costs $10 USD, is it really worth buying in park when right outside the park its 2 dollars? They are charging US prices for food and merch rather than Shanghai prices which is why no one is eating at the park. If Universal price points the Beijing park like they do with USJ, they should be fine. But if they try to charge like USH or USF, they won't be.
It looked like food at USJ was pretty expensive or at least comparable to florida. Isn't it also as much or more expensive than shanghai for a ticket?