Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ESPN Wide World of Sports

Updated look at the new Multi-Sport arena from a few days ago:

ESPN-Wide-World-of-Sports-Cheerleading-Venue-2-2017.jpg

ESPN-Wide-World-of-Sports-Cheerleading-Venue-2017.jpg

I still don't understand why this complex exists.

It's practically abandoned most days.
The times I go it's hard to find a parking spot. The past two times i've been were for Spring Training games. After the game I wandered the complex. There was something going on on literally every field.

Oh, and the gymnasium right across from the baseball field? It was holding the National Cheerleading Championships that weekend.

So it was busy to say the least. Packed to be more accurate. This place churns money with all of the athletes it brings in (who inevitably go to the parks).

Spring training is gone now though.

I've always wondered why it doesn't have a resort attached. Keep the cheer squads and little league teams away from the other guests.

I should also mention that this new multi-use structure is great for the parks. Currently there are many cheerleading events that are held at the Indiana Jones Amphitheater or the parking lot of Epcot or DHS. All of those events will be moved to this venue once it opens, meaning all cheerleading events will be kept out of the parks, making life better for everyone.

I should also mention that this new multi-use structure is great for the parks. Currently there are many cheerleading events that are held at the Indiana Jones Amphitheater or the parking lot of Epcot or DHS. All of those events will be moved to this venue once it opens, meaning all cheerleading events will be kept out of the parks, making life better for everyone.

Will it really though? The allure for those groups when booking seems to be that the event is in the parks.

I've always wondered why it doesn't have a resort attached. Keep the cheer squads and little league teams away from the other guests.
Spring Training is still at Champion Stadium at least through this season. It remains to be seen if the Braves will stay or leave (maybe that decision has already been made?).

This place is so much more than spring training though. It's the premiere youth sports complex in the nation. Almost all championship events for major sports are held here.

Will it really though? The allure for those groups when booking seems to be that the event is in the parks.
That's the entire goal of this project. It's why Disney is building it.

Also, since it's a multi-use arena, they plan on this being a concert venue too.

I guess I view this the way one would if Disney built a large multi-venue performing arts complex in WDW. Like "why? Why on earth is this part of WDW?"

To me it reeks of dilution of the brand and going after various pet projects of executives while neglecting the core business.

If I didn't think the core business was neglected I wouldn't be nearly so opppsed. Even something like Disney Springs serves a purpose for the resort for most guests - food, shopping, entertainment outside of a theme park. This? We can't even keep the marathoners within its borders so why does it exist?

I guess I view this the way one would if Disney built a large multi-venue performing arts complex in WDW. Like "why? Why on earth is this part of WDW?"

To me it reeks of dilution of the brand and going after various pet projects of executives while neglecting the core business.

If I didn't think the core business was neglected I wouldn't be nearly so opppsed. Even something like Disney Springs serves a purpose for the resort for most guests - food, shopping, entertainment outside of a theme park. This? We can't even keep the marathoners within its borders so why does it exist?
You bring up some decent points.

This whole complex goes back to Eisner stroking his ego, but this project in particular has everything to do with business (although I don't know if I agree that the core business is being neglected bc of it.... let's be honest, the core business is being neglected anyway).

The point is, this is the top youth sports complex in the country for big events. Teens and their families and coaches travel from all across the country to compete here. They stay at Disney's hotels (usually All-stars) and a good % of them usually end up going to the parks. It's business 101, really.

Ratio of these kids to coaches/parents makes it seem like a poor investment.

The kids are usually eating with vouchers and don't tend to have a lot of spending money otherwise. I don't recall ever seeing them at the end of the night with lots of Disney shopping bags.

The few parents they drag along really don't seem worth all the hassle.

The kids are usually eating with vouchers and don't tend to have a lot of spending money otherwise. I don't recall ever seeing them at the end of the night with lots of Disney shopping bags.

Maybe.

But if they start to host concerts at this venue as they have touted in the past, they are suddenly bringing in a completely different crowd set that IS spending money undoubtedly.

Also, the move of Night of Joy from MK/DHS to WWoS this past year was a great decision for overall guest satisfaction.

Atlanta Braves Spring Training | Events | ESPN Wide World of Sports
That's what the value resorts (All Star and Pop Century) are. While they are not directly connected, they have shuttle service to and from ESPN since that's where all those kids stay when they compete.

First off most kids come with at least one parent, many two parents and a couple siblings. You think they come all the way to WDW and don't spend a day at MK?

Also, personal experience--cheer moms can drink.

The Braves will be moving to Sarasota for Spring Training in 2019, meaning next year will be the last year they play at WWoS.

The move is said to be made to cut down on travel time for the team, as they are currently one of the northernmost spring training teams in Florida along with the Astros (Kissimmee) and Tigers (Lakeland), who are both looking to move or have deals to move in the near future as well.

Maybe.

But if they start to host concerts at this venue as they have touted in the past, they are suddenly bringing in a completely different crowd set that IS spending money undoubtedly.

Also, the move of Night of Joy from MK/DHS to WWoS this past year was a great decision for overall guest satisfaction.

Moving the Night of Joy event here really decreased my satisfaction with Disney. I have been going to Night of Joy annually since 1990, and this year was the first time I ever left the event early. The venues felt like seeing concerts at a junior high, not the most magical place on earth. And until just days before the event attendees had to buy theme park admission with the ticket even if like me you already had an annual pass.

Also concerning merchandise purchasing, while at the Night of Joy my brother wanted to get a new Jaguars hat and figured that the ESPN WWoS would be a good place to find one. In the primary shop there were absolutely no Jaguars merch or any other team from Florida that we could find. Needless to say there was no sale.

Moving the Night of Joy event here really decreased my satisfaction with Disney. I have been going to Night of Joy annually since 1990, and this year was the first time I ever left the event early. The venues felt like seeing concerts at a junior high, not the most magical place on earth. And until just days before the event attendees had to buy theme park admission with the ticket even if like me you already had an annual pass.

Also concerning merchandise purchasing, while at the Night of Joy my brother wanted to get a new Jaguars hat and figured that the ESPN WWoS would be a good place to find one. In the primary shop there were absolutely no Jaguars merch or any other team from Florida that we could find. Needless to say there was no sale.
I said OVERALL guest satisfaction.

Maybe the small % of people dislike the change, but the 40-60k+ (depending on the day) that aren't being shut out of MK early on that day are happy. They are the majority and Disney is always trying to please the majority these days.

The Braves will be moving to Sarasota for Spring Training in 2019, meaning next year will be the last year they play at WWoS.

The move is said to be made to cut down on travel time for the team, as they are currently one of the northernmost spring training teams in Florida along with the Astros (Kissimmee) and Tigers (Lakeland), who are both looking to move or have deals to move in the near future as well.
Tigers just put 40 million into the Lakeland stadium. They aren't going anywhere that I know of.