Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Caribbean Beach Expansion

No, it's supposed to go north of Bay Lake Tower to give better views of Magic Kingdom (and make them more money). And of course be MORE visible from inside MK (theme be damned)

If the go the third tower route at the Contemporary, I hope they tear down the convention center and leave the South Garden Wing alone.
Eh, personally I prefer symmetry so getting rid of the remaining garden wing wouldn't be that big of a loss for me, especially since it wouldn't even be that big of a loss of rooms.

Eh, personally I prefer symmetry so getting rid of the remaining garden wing wouldn't be that big of a loss for me, especially since it wouldn't even be that big of a loss of rooms.

A pox on you (chicken, not small)!! I love staying in the Garden Wing. It is peaceful and relaxing with a great view of Bay Lake. You have committed WDW Sacrilege. :angry:

I have a soft spot for the South Garden Wing, it was the first place we stayed on out first visit to WDW in Christmas 1979. I don't want to see it go, but I have a feeling some day it will. The land is too valuable to just house a few 3 story buildings when they could stuff more in there.

I have a soft spot for the South Garden Wing, it was the first place we stayed on out first visit to WDW in Christmas 1979. I don't want to see it go, but I have a feeling some day it will. The land is too valuable to just house a few 3 story buildings when they could stuff more in there.

I know. It's just such an awesome place to stay, although I typically can't or choose not to afford it.

Martin or somebody was saying that there's a desire to shift convention business from the Contemporary to the Yacht & Beach Club to increase spending at EPCOT. That's why they're expanding the Yacht Club convention center, and then supposedly the next step would be to demolish the Contemporary convention center to make way for more DVC. It makes sense to me, especially considering that the views of the park would be better from a tower on the site of the convention center than from the site of the South Garden Wing.

I hope they fix up the interior. It's so bad. Chef Mickey's is literally like walking into 1992. Not even Sizzlers have let their restaurants go that poorly.

Martin or somebody was saying that there's a desire to shift convention business from the Contemporary to the Yacht & Beach Club to increase spending at EPCOT. That's why they're expanding the Yacht Club convention center, and then supposedly the next step would be to demolish the Contemporary convention center to make way for more DVC. It makes sense to me, especially considering that the views of the park would be better from a tower on the site of the convention center than from the site of the South Garden Wing.

The only sad thing for me that I attended a seminar for work at the Contemporary Resort. My wife tagged along and it was so fun. However, we're Magic Kingdom people more so than EPCOT. While I was in the classes, she rode the monorail around and looked at the other resorts. We had never stayed onsite prior and thus it all has a special place in my heart. I could see removing the convention area and building a DVC or just a hotel expansion. I would miss the convention center though.

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE GONDOLA BEHIND THE CURTAIN:
More Guest Experiences and Dining Options Coming to Disney’s Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach Resorts | Disney Parks Blog

...Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will be reimagined with new additions to the resort’s current marketplace, Centertown, including new waterfront dining and retail shopping areas. This centralized location will offer the resort’s guests more convenient access to services, amenities and dining.[\quote]

I'm almost 100% at this point that CBR will be the Moderate receiving DVC first, not Coronado. The blog post didn't have any mention of DVC for Coronado and DVC doesn't announce their next project until they've extensively marketed their current one anyway.

Also, we know for a fact based on permits that CBR is getting new rooms, but notice that the Parks Blog didn't mention anything about rooms (yet) for the resort.

WDW have now started sending warning emails to guests arriving in early May about the construction work.
In the email they say that port royale is closed and being knocked down
So shutters is gone, the shopping area is gone, the food court is gone
They're putting mobile food carts in Jamaica, Martinique and Aruba (which suggest Barbados is definitely history) centertown is also getting food carts. They are offering upgrades (at a cost) to Saratoga springs

Last edited:
WDW have now started sending warning emails to guests arriving in early May about the construction work.
In the email they say that port royale is closed and being knocked down
So shutters is gone, the shopping area is gone, the food court is gone
They're putting mobile food carts in Jamaica, Martinique and Aruba (which suggest Barbados is definitely history) centertown is also getting food carts. They are offering upgrades (at a cost) to Saratoga springs
Are you staying there? I'd try to at least get a free switch over to Port Orleans if you can. A hotel in that condition isn't a hotel, it's a construction site.

Are you staying there? I'd try to at least get a free switch over to Port Orleans if you can. A hotel in that condition isn't a hotel, it's a construction site.
No mate thankfully, we stayed there at the end of January, we were warned beforehand of possible construction work but that it wouldn't impact on us, it didn't, we did have some issues but nothing to with construction lol.
A FB group I'm in have several members staying there in early May and they've all now received the email. Those who have phoned so far have only been offered Saratoga springs at a cost of some £400 ($500) to "upgrade"

A few updates are now appearing.
Apparently they are going to build a new QSR in Trinidad shortly

There has also been several changes in Disney's "attitude" in the last few days

First they were charging to change hotel
Then they offered to change for free
Then they were offering $75 credit per room per day
Then finally (for now lol) it's £50 credit per day

Those who have not booked direct with Disney have been told that they have to sort it out with their tour operator

All this in less than a week lol

A few updates are now appearing.
Apparently they are going to build a new QSR in Trinidad shortly

There has also been several changes in Disney's "attitude" in the last few days

First they were charging to change hotel
Then they offered to change for free
Then they were offering $75 credit per room per day
Then finally (for now lol) it's £50 credit per day

Those who have not booked direct with Disney have been told that they have to sort it out with their tour operator

All this in less than a week lol
I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned.

A good negotiator never starts off with their best offer. If this was planned, it worked as they still kept people on-site, and they are likely filling what otherwise would've been a lot of empty rooms at Saratoga Springs (one of the first offers people got). This means occupancy will stay looking tidy as they've shifted people around to other resorts and they can explain away CBR's low occupancy by simply stating the on-going construction.

I'm probably giving them wayyyyy too much credit though :lol:

I don't think it was planned mate, I think Disney got caught with their trousers down.
It's not a case of them renegotiating with the same customers, it's simply that what they were prepared to do has changed numerous times over the last few days. Their guest relations have been swamped with complaints, a two hour line before speaking to anybody then another 2 hours to speak to somebody about the CBR specifica, has been the norm the last few days.