Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So what will happen to Pixar Studios after this opens?

Just keep it open for extra space?
It is my understanding that when TSL opens, the entrance to Toy Story Mania will be moved to the opposite side of the building, facing the rest of the new area.

The Pixar Studios area will no longer exist. Meet & Greets will move to TSL, as well as the snack carts. That street will go back to being a backstage area for Cast Members only, which is what it was when the park first opened.

The building that Toy Story Mania is in was originally used for film and TV production, (believe it or not.) In fact if I remember correctly, the Mickey Mouse Club was filmed there in the 1990s.

After filming dropped off this road was opened up for guests, to connect to the streets of America and eliminate a dead-end near the Production Tour. Throughout the years several shows filled the buildings, including Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Play It! (Where I got on 3 times in one day! And lost at the 16,000 question every time! At least I won 3 hats that day.)

But I digress. Here is a map I made outlining what I believe the be (somewhat) close to the plan for TSL and SWL's layout. Note that the two new lands will probably connect, recreating the non-dead ends that were eliminated by opening Pixar Place street in the first place... just have to wait a few years until those dead ends un-dead themselves.

SWL-TSL-MAP-OVERVIEW_05.jpg

Nice layout drawing!
The only thing I don't like about this plan is that the Muppets area is a dead-end at Mama Melrose. That used to wrap back to the theater and SOA.

Reactions: Alicia
Nice layout drawing!
The only thing I don't like about this plan is that the Muppets area is a dead-end at Mama Melrose. That used to wrap back to the theater and SOA.
Well, there is a loop all the way around the Muppet store, so not technically a dead end, just a circle. You got Muppet entrance, then moving left Muppet exit, then Mama/xmas store, then PizzeRizzo, and then back again. All with Muppet store in the middle.

I'll be honest though, that whole area is a mess, especially with the "theming" of the Muppet store entrance with the brilliant idea to use splashed paint as theming. It all looks like a mess, but clearly it's at the bottom of their to-do list currently. (Which is fine, I don't want to lose MuppetVision, it's like the last film 3D movie left playing in the world now that they digitized T2.)

Reactions: Coasted
Here's my video and photo report from Hollywood Studios this month. For the first time, I actually got to see... actual construction! It's amazing I know. Looks like the Slinky Dog coaster building is going up, although it's not too easy to see with new work walls up in the breezeway that will eventually become the entrance to Toy Story Land.

I for one am excited for this new land. Looks like the longest family coaster in Orlando (like Barnstormer on steroids) and we could use that. It works for Legoland!

Full post with lots more pics and info: Hollywood Studios Update: Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land Construction and Starring Rolls Cafe Closed Forever – Orlando ParkStop

Video:

Photo Highlights:

Welcome to PIXAR Studios! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this street is going to go back to being Cast Members only when TSL opens, right?
P1090639.jpg

Just to the right of that, is what I believe will be the actual entrance to TSL, between Toy Story Mania and that old Jack Sparrow attraction:
P1090641.jpg

Just over that wall, you can see the Slinky Dog coaster queue/load building starting to go up:
01646.MTS_.Still004.jpg

As seen in top-right of the concept art:
thumbnail_TSL-Overview.jpg

It might not be much to look at, but at least it's actual construction, yay!
P1090645.jpg

At the end of Pixar Place street:
P1090652.jpg

Cranes in their natural habitat:
P1090650.jpg

Big 'ol berm being created to separate Star Wars from Toy Story Land:
P1090647.jpg

Soon, the dirt will be much higher than the fence!
P1090648.jpg

Nice update, just a shame it is going to be so hard to get clear construction photos due to the nature of the land and no vantage points. Could always setup a gofundme page so we can donate for you to hire a helicopter tour and get some photos ;)

Nice update, just a shame it is going to be so hard to get clear construction photos due to the nature of the land and no vantage points. Could always setup a gofundme page so we can donate for you to hire a helicopter tour and get some photos ;)
Don't think I haven't thought about that... Maybe in a year, when something more interesting than a berm is being built.

Edit: I think as far as Toy Story Land, there's not too much to see other than the Slinky Dog coaster anyways, and I can kinda see that from the breezeway. It's Star Wars land blocked by the darn Muppets theater I'm gonna need the chopper for.

Reactions: Dan B
Ha yeah I guess there isn't too much to see at the moment. There must be plenty of fans that would drop a couple dollars a month for someone to get up in a chopper to take some progress photos, I know I would considering I live in the bloody UK so my only chance of updates is people like yourself.

Reactions: Alicia
Seems like there's been aerial shots from different groups every couple of weeks lately. Progress hasn't been much that you can see significant differences.

Seems like there's been aerial shots from different groups every couple of weeks lately. Progress hasn't been much that you can see significant differences.

I wouldn't have said they have been very often for SWL and TSL but it is understandable considering how early in the construction we are and not too much to see each time. A regular aerial monthly update is all that we need really but the more the better!

I wouldn't have said they have been very often for SWL and TSL but it is understandable considering how early in the construction we are and not too much to see each time. A regular aerial monthly update is all that we need really but the more the better!

I kind of love that it's all being documented. Trying to find construction photos of anything from 10 years ago+ is almost impossible.

There needs to be a backstage for cast and for BOH services. The only way it will open is if they do it like the Main Street Bypass.

True- but what needs to be in that specific area?

All the buildings that surround it have their backstage areas enclosed. It's not like it's going to become the backstage bistro or costuming or even outdoor offices. The CMs aren't getting a ropes course there for funsies.

Only legit reason I can see for actually closing it is a new Chinese Theater centric fireworks show. During the ones before the rear launch site opened that area was closed - for good reason. It was "fallout" to an absurd degree. They had to put quick service trays atop the trash cans every night to act as protection to keep the flaming pieces from catching them on fire or smoldering a hole in the top. Toy Story's existing marquee has enough soot on it to look like it's been through a nuclear winter.

Reactions: Joel
True- but what needs to be in that specific area?

All the buildings that surround it have their backstage areas enclosed. It's not like it's going to become the backstage bistro or costuming or even outdoor offices. The CMs aren't getting a ropes course there for funsies.

Only legit reason I can see for actually closing it is a new Chinese Theater centric fireworks show. During the ones before the rear launch site opened that area was closed - for good reason. It was "fallout" to an absurd degree. They had to put quick service trays atop the trash cans every night to act as protection to keep the flaming pieces from catching them on fire or smoldering a hole in the top. Toy Story's existing marquee has enough soot on it to look like it's been through a nuclear winter.
It's very possible it could still be used, I just haven't heard anything leading me to believe it will.

That said, the TS M&G along the current area is a decent indoor space, that could be used as a break room if they really wanted and it would keep most CMs away from guests.

Finally someone got up there again. That piece has been there for close to 2 weeks at this point. Gotta wonder where the rest of the track is.

I should also note that Disney has an internal timeline of 5/25/18 for a Grand Opening of this land, which would be another Memorial Day Friday opening, following SDMT and Pandora.

02212017HSSWTSL4.jpg

Reactions: Alicia and Joel
Finally someone got up there again. That piece has been there for close to 2 weeks at this point. Gotta wonder where the rest of the track is.

I should also note that Disney has an internal timeline of 5/25/18 for a Grand Opening of this land, which would be another Memorial Day Friday opening, following SDMT and Pandora.

02212017HSSWTSL4.jpg
Seems like that should be easy to meet considering how simple this land will be. Reminds me more of Kidzone than a present day theme park era land.

Seems like that should be easy to meet considering how simple this land will be. Reminds me more of Kidzone than a present day theme park era land.
Well it's certainly no Potter, Carsland or Pandora. :lol:

It was really a poor decision to add this land like this. Look at how much land is in that picture and how little we're getting out of it... we could've gotten quite a few Fantasyland style dark rides and filled up the area nicely with people eaters. Instead we're getting two rides that will be capacity nightmares.