Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Takumi Tei - Signature Restaurant Japan Pavilion

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
JAPAN-RESTAURANT.png

An all-new table service restaurant will be coming to the Japan Pavilion in World Showcase, offering guests a signature dining experience inspired by the natural beauty of Japan. The setting will draw from both nature and takumi, which means “artisan” in Japanese, and the relationship between Japanese craftsmanship and the natural world will be evident throughout the space. This new restaurant will be operated by Mitsukoshi USA, which operates the merchandise, restaurants (Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining), and kiosks in the Japan Pavilion. Once completed, the restaurant will add to the rich tapestry of authentic cultural experiences available to guests in World Showcase.

Current status:

JAPAN-RESTAURANT.png

An all-new table service restaurant will be coming to the Japan Pavilion in World Showcase, offering guests a signature dining experience inspired by the natural beauty of Japan. The setting will draw from both nature and takumi, which means “artisan” in Japanese, and the relationship between Japanese craftsmanship and the natural world will be evident throughout the space. This new restaurant will be operated by Mitsukoshi USA, which operates the merchandise, restaurants (Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining), and kiosks in the Japan Pavilion. Once completed, the restaurant will add to the rich tapestry of authentic cultural experiences available to guests in World Showcase.

Current status:

This looks like it could be open in Summer/Fall this year. The footprint seems pretty small!

I know we make fun of Epcot for the restaurants, but I'll give Japan a pass for being my favorite nation for food (in real life)

A look at the menu for this place will show $60+ pricing and a dress code. The dress code won’t be enforced, of course, but it does signal the kind of clientele they are aiming for here.

A look at the menu for this place will show $60+ pricing and a dress code. The dress code won’t be enforced, of course, but it does signal the kind of clientele they are aiming for here.
Someone tell TDO that Epcot is a theme park

You don’t want to get dressed up and then walk through the 100 degree heat index to go have an over-priced meal while sweating profusely in your fancy clothes?
Sometimes, you have to pay for the experience.

Quickly, wanted to point out that this is also one of the only restaurants on property, aside from V&A's, that will not accept the Dining plan.

Sometimes, you have to pay for the experience.
I agree, some people just want a nice meal. But really, a lot of these "upscale" places in the parks just aren't worth the cost, especially when you can get better food at many resorts or Disney Springs.

The only time i'd be willing to dress up for a meal at WDW would be if it's a chef's table experience or I was eating at V&A's. Monsieur Paul actually would probably make the short list as well.

Quickly, wanted to point out that this is also one of the only restaurants on property, aside from V&A's, that will not accept the Dining plan.

I agree, some people just want a nice meal. But really, a lot of these "upscale" places in the parks just aren't worth the cost, especially when you can get better food at many resorts or Disney Springs.

The only time i'd be willing to dress up for a meal at WDW would be if it's a chef's table experience or I was eating at V&A's. Monsieur Paul actually would probably make the short list as well.
Appealing to Disney's upscale crowd they think they have

Why would people not eat at the Yacht Club though haha
Many people want to visit a park while they are in town for a convention and often times, free passes to the parks are given out for certain people at the convention. Now obviously if you're at the Swan & Dolphin, it's kinda silly to leave and go to Epcot for dinner considering they have Shula's Steakhouse and Il Mulino (which are both fantastic), but it's just an example.

Bringing it back around - WDW realizes they don't need the high-end guest to make these "upscale" restaurants profitable. Many tourists will pay insane amounts for food as it is. And even if they fail, well, the land is being leased so WDW's collecting money anyway :lol:

This soft opened today. Looks amazing from photos on twitter. Pricey though. 130$ for the multi course experience. Entrees themselves range from 46-80$. Still thinking of splurging for my birthday.