Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Once again this is just your opinion; I haven’t visited but based on pictures / video walk thrus the land does look like something from Star Wars to me.

I think what’s missing is a lack of real alien life, droids, and other walk around characters. In all of the locations we visit in Star Wars, all of them are filled with various types of habitants.

A couple AAs in a store doesn’t make the land feel as “alive” as it probably should.

If Disney can figure out away to add more street performers and actors, besides just Stormtroopers it will go a long way.

And for the 80th time..once Rise opens, peoples view of the overall worth of this project should change dramatically.
You need to visit the land. You will know when you visit. It's something that I still can't put my finger on. The land feels dead because of the space and lack of music or ambiance. It just does. It feels like the uncomfortable elevator silences

From Mice Chat today in their Disneyland update article...."Specifically, we've noticed more of the Batuu Radio creeping into different parts of the outpost, as well as Docking Bay 7 Post Music now being played in the side dining room where no music was being played before.....Music is still a big point of contention for many Galaxy's Edge fans. We still feel the lack of John William's beautiful music being played in the land is a misstep, but it appears that Disney is beginning to address the void many guests are feeling in the land"................Mice Chat also included a nice map of exactly where , in the land, the various types of music are being played. And, they recommended Disney add the original trilogy characters to the land, in addition to adopting Williams' music, to liven the land.
I do not think that the problem with GE is the lack of OG characters. IMO there are several issues in the land that won't be fixed by adding meet and greets of original characters. I think that there is no ambiance in the land. The space is huge and it will only have 2 rides. It's like 3 times Critter Country and that place has two rides, the same amount as GE. There is huge shopping space, of course. I have gone on the record about what I think it's wrong with the land, and it's a sum of various ones. Lack of music and ambiance, a design problem that it's too big and nothing to it, like a glorified Costco, a big empty warehouse to shop. I don't think though that the problem is the lack of OG content. Probably making it lush like in Yavin would address the problem that the place looks very empty.

I think M&G at Pandora would be tough, since its really hard to find 7 foot tall people. :D <plus, according to the backstory, that area is inhabitable for them because it has breathable atmosphere for us>
The thing is that Pandora doesn't need Naavi's because no one cares about that franchise. If you asked anyone here the name of one character in the movie, no one would be able to answer. The movie is a curious case that has been written about and studied, because it was the biggest box office grosser for a decade but failed to become part of pop culture. It is hard to find anyone that cares about the 4 sequels in development.

Yeeeaaahhhhhhhh probably not a lot of real effects.
Disney has said that they have tons of animatronics and practical sets. The use of screen would be minimal. They have been very vocal about the use of practical sets and AAs. Specially the AT-ATs scene

I don't remember Disney saying this per-say but largely people have said the preshow will be Gringotts like where there is a projection preshow before another moving preshow (elevator or spaceship), followed by the large open room with limited motion AAs, then you board the ride vehicles.

This ride sounds like SW Gringotts.... hmmmm..... that's not a bad thing.
It was said per se by Disney that it was going to be a "20 minute experience" which is lawyerly for "don't expect the ride to be 20 minutes long" which of course didn't stop people from saying it was a 20 minute ride. If the leaks are to be believed, the queue and preshow are more to it than just screens. Here's hoping.

I was an skeptic of ROTR, and then read the leaks. If it is the exact same ride, then we are in for something interesting. I still think that trackless vehicles isn't a very interesting technology but we will see.

Honestly, even with my overall view of the land...

I wouldn't bet on Disney butchering a mega attraction. I mean, I'm pretty sure even if this thing ends up being fairly BORING the ride will still be fairly impressive. Can't see them spectacularly bombing a ride of this caliber with this level of funding. Also... Screens? Whatever. There's a whole lot going on in the world of projection and projection material right now, and the future is going to be amazing. I wonder if we'll see some new technology and methods applied to a ride here. They've also been so tight lipped and quiet about it, even for Disney (even with the proposed incidents). Let the ride come before we lower our expectations so far.

You can now make reservations for Savi’s and Oga’s 14 days in advance. They will still have spots available for same day reservations. I just made a reservation at Oga’s for tomorrow. Good move but a lot of people still don’t know there are reservations needed. People walk up to CM’s or just get in line just to be disappointed. I personally like the reservation system but I wonder if there is a way to accommodate the unknowing?

Honestly, even with my overall view of the land...

I wouldn't bet on Disney butchering a mega attraction. I mean, I'm pretty sure even if this thing ends up being fairly BORING the ride will still be fairly impressive. Can't see them spectacularly bombing a ride of this caliber with this level of funding. Also... Screens? Whatever. There's a whole lot going on in the world of projection and projection material right now, and the future is going to be amazing. I wonder if we'll see some new technology and methods applied to a ride here. They've also been so tight lipped and quiet about it, even for Disney (even with the proposed incidents). Let the ride come before we lower our expectations so far.
I think screens and projections are like preparing blowfish, few can pull them off. When done well, it can impress, when done wrong, it's just a trainwreck. We have examples at Universal how hit and miss screens are on an attraction. You have true duds like Simpsons, Minion Mayhem, Kong and FF at Florida, and then you have breathtaking rides like Forbidden Journey and Transformers. You have to be very careful with projections and screens. It sometimes screams "I am too lazy to engineer a ride that might require thinking outside the box". I am in the camp of "the less screens, the better" but I do recognize a good ride when I see it. Soarin' is the perfect example of a ride that shouldn't work but it does. I love Soarin' and it's all in the execution.

I think screens and projections are like preparing blowfish, few can pull them off. When done well, it can impress, when done wrong, it's just a trainwreck. We have examples at Universal how hit and miss screens are on an attraction. You have true duds like Simpsons, Minion Mayhem, Kong and FF at Florida, and then you have breathtaking rides like Forbidden Journey and Transformers. You have to be very careful with projections and screens. It sometimes screams "I am too lazy to engineer a ride that might require thinking outside the box". I am in the camp of "the less screens, the better" but I do recognize a good ride when I see it. Soarin' is the perfect example of a ride that shouldn't work but it does. I love Soarin' and it's all in the execution.
Kong is hardly a dud. It gets great GSATs. Its also way way better executed than FF in every whay - some real animatronics, believable animation (also using an insane projection rate), and overall better theme (a truck into a jungle temple vas a party bus that's supposed to be on a high speed chase). IMHO I think its one of the better uses of screens overall.

Good point, I am curious to know more about how to prepare a blowfish though

I agree with the above.

In general I find the whole "screens" debate can be a bit misguided at times. Rides that use screens in an immersive and blended manner with other great parts of the attraction that are one part of an overall great experience (like FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, Transformers) I welcome with open arms and would be fine if they added more attractions like them.

I think it was the abundant addition of "Lazy" screen based attractions (where it's pretty much just a screen that dominates everything) that turned people angry towards even the mention of a screen in a ride. At Universal we got 3 years in a row of Kong (although I like this ride and it still has some blending of practical sets + the awesome Kong AA at the end) then Fallon and finally F&F were added one year after the other with each one getting progressively worse in terms of quality that brought people to the current uproar when you even mention the word screen. They were progressively worse uninspired attractions and people got sick of them.

Now the word screen is so toxic I fear that we won't get new attractions that are unique/innovative at Universal like FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman or Transformers were when they came about for fear of the public backlash if there happens to be a screen even if it's just as a smaller (but well executed) part of the ride.

But this is why I have high hopes for Rise of the Resistance. Yes I know it will use screens but it doesn't appear it's going to be the overall focal point of the ride, but a part of the whole overall grand experience to help immerse you into it.

We'll wait and see.....

I think a lot of it's about balance. I really like screen dominated attractions. But I don't want a park with nearly all screen attractions and not much else. That's the mistake Woodbury was making with USF. IOA is fine as it is. It has a good mix. The classic Greek concept of moderation in all things says a lot.

Except I’m fairly certain Disney themselves have not actually said that there will be ANY animatronics in this ride.
The only thing I found (D23 site) was that they said it was a "cinematic experience" and that it will be their most "technically advanced ride" whatever that means.

Let's all remember that the majority of the ride takes place on a starship. Much like the upcoming space restaurant or SW hotel, screens will be used in place of all windows as it's really the only way to do it. Asuming this is the main use of screens in RotR, I don't have a problem with it.

I agree with the above.

In general I find the whole "screens" debate can be a bit misguided at times. Rides that use screens in an immersive and blended manner with other great parts of the attraction that are one part of an overall great experience (like FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, Transformers) I welcome with open arms and would be fine if they added more attractions like them.

I think it was the abundant addition of "Lazy" screen based attractions (where it's pretty much just a screen that dominates everything) that turned people angry towards even the mention of a screen in a ride. At Universal we got 3 years in a row of Kong (although I like this ride and it still has some blending of practical sets + the awesome Kong AA at the end) then Fallon and finally F&F were added one year after the other with each one getting progressively worse in terms of quality that brought people to the current uproar when you even mention the word screen. They were progressively worse uninspired attractions and people got sick of them.

Now the word screen is so toxic I fear that we won't get new attractions that are unique/innovative at Universal like FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman or Transformers were when they came about for fear of the public backlash if there happens to be a screen even if it's just as a smaller (but well executed) part of the ride.

But this is why I have high hopes for Rise of the Resistance. Yes I know it will use screens but it doesn't appear it's going to be the overall focal point of the ride, but a part of the whole overall grand experience to help immerse you into it.

We'll wait and see.....
I sum up the screenz debate as this:
Screenz aren't necessarily lazy, but they aren't necessarily thrilling either. They're great ways to extend a background or extend a practical scene.

Honestly I would even go as far to say if Universal reversed their practice of sets as transitions from screen to screen, that would be fine...I.e. the practical sets are the focus and screens are the transition between the two

The problem is when you are trying to convey motion through a vehicle that has already been in real life motion. Gringotts is a perfect example of shooting itself in the foot early on. We know what the ride feels like in real life when it drops/is in motion...So the simulated drop just doesn't come off as convincing...Had that been a practical scene, and the coaster part been a tad longer, I'm sure the ride would have been much more highly rated

Kong is hardly a dud. It gets great GSATs. Its also way way better executed than FF in every whay - some real animatronics, believable animation (also using an insane projection rate), and overall better theme (a truck into a jungle temple vas a party bus that's supposed to be on a high speed chase). IMHO I think its one of the better uses of screens overall.
While I agree with you that King Kong is better than Fast and Furious, you can't denny the tepid reaction that ride had. Still has.
Good point, I am curious to know more about how to prepare a blowfish though
You would require a license. Only licensed people can do it. Yeah, it's that hard.

I agree with the above.

We'll wait and see.....
Yeah. I think that screens are very easy as cop outs, that's why they got bad rep. Very easy to execute bad. A screen must be used to enhance an experience not to only rely on it. I totally agree with your opinion

dejected_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

My excitement levels have been appropriately reset.

I will say, screens will be used for quite a bit more than just windows.

I think it's pretty obvious it will be Ratatouille-like in reliance on screens. The same people who blew SR up to unattainable heights is doing the same with this, even more, since the entire land needs it.

I mean, what can really happen to you in a starship besides Stormtroopers shooting at you, and Kylo Ren making an appearance. Are we expecting a pile of blue milk crates almost falling on you? Or maybe the ice cream maker guy will run past us.

Last week it was mentioned that you can get the Yub Nub at Oga’s without the souvenir mug. Well that only last a week. Went today and you can no longer get the drink without the mug. $42 vs $15.

The bartender said it was only temporary because they ran out of the mugs but now they are back in stock you don’t have a choice. Stupid stuff like this is unnecessary. I like drink but I don’t want to purchase a mug each time I go.

I definitely worry Rise is going to use too many screens. This definitely won't be good for the land when the only other ride is a video game that gives you very little actual control.

Sill to this day, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is the greatest screen attraction ever built. Nothing built since then has come close to using screens as well as that ride does. Kong, Gringotts and Fast and Furious all use screens poorly. Gringotts fails at using screens since it basically stops your movement completely so you can watch some lame movie play out on the screen, then you move on to the next screen to watch another movie. I'm really hoping that Rise is nothing like that.

For pure motion simulators, I think the best three ever built are Back to the Future, Star Tours 1.0, and Soarin' Over California. Part of what makes those so convincing is that the screens are either showing models and practical effects like in BTTF and Star Tours, or in the case of Soarin', it was showing real locations. For Simpsons, Star Tours 2.0, and Smuggler's Run, everything is CGI which doesn't help sell the illusion and just makes everything seem more fake. All the CGI stuff in Soarin' Around the World totally takes me out of the experience and makes that version not work at all for me.

Of course, Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey use CGI, however, since they also have practical sets and effects that helps make those CGI scenes more convincing.

While I agree with you that King Kong is better than Fast and Furious, you can't denny the tepid reaction that ride had. Still has.

You would require a license. Only licensed people can do it. Yeah, it's that hard.

Yeah. I think that screens are very easy as cop outs, that's why they got bad rep. Very easy to execute bad. A screen must be used to enhance an experience not to only rely on it. I totally agree with your opinion
Kong's GSATS are actually very high, not tepid at all.