Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Recommendations for HHN

Antojitos opens at 4, which is another reason we love it. Plenty of time for an early dinner and we always make it to stay and scream. Just be sure to get there right at opening if you go that route.

Also, if you tell them in advance you plan to go over to stay and scream, they are very quick and accommodating.

That cuts it a little too close for my tastes, but if you can get in before the park closes and to S&S then go for it.

Antijitos is sounding perfect if we get there early enough. Otherwise I know Finnegan's is excellent. I don't know what all is open during HHN in park though. We usually make good time but these suggestions are excellent. Giving me plenty of options depending on time and place.

I'd recommend an early lunch (11 or so), a snack, then dinner once HHN starts to fill up. During the event most places are open including Fast Food Boulevard, Monsters Cafe, Leaky Cauldron, Richter's, and Finns.

Oh yeah, gotta get the pizza fries! Been wanting my grandparents to try those.

I seriously had no idea Leaky Cauldron was open during HHN for some reason.

I am so excited! Can't wait for my grandparents to experience HHN.

Also still trying to determine where to eat at CityWalk first. We thought about Breadbox, but any other suggestions?

Wow, thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Red Oven has been on my radar for quite awhile now as I adore pizza. I pretty much love almost any types of food.

I love the theming to Toothsome 'cause I have a serious love of SteamPunk. Haven't tried it though myself.

Seems like Antojitos gets a lot of love. For sure, near the top of my list right now.

Put me down for +1 to Red Oven.

Only issue I have with any sit down place is getting into Universal in time for Stay and Scream. Our solution - we order a bunch of Red Oven pizzas to go and bring them into Universal/the stay and scream of choice to eat while waiting. Two birds/one stone!

Put me down for +1 to Red Oven.

Only issue I have with any sit down place is getting into Universal in time for Stay and Scream. Our solution - we order a bunch of Red Oven pizzas to go and bring them into Universal/the stay and scream of choice to eat while waiting. Two birds/one stone!
That is pretty genius actually. And I love pizza. I may have to do stay and scream one year. No idea why I haven't done it yet.

have done the Stay and Scream multiple times. Not being a native Floridian, I find the temps at HHN to be rather hot. I don't understand it, but it seems to even get a little hotter at night, maybe its just me. Staying inside an air-conditioned restaurant seemed to be most important for me during the Stay and Scream waiting period. Of course everyone else has pretty much the same idea. Second choice would be a shady spot somewhere but I think you will find most of those will be occupied as well. I would recommend getting to one of the Stay and Scream areas early and securing a seat in a nice air-conditioned restaurant, grab something to eat and drink and wait comfortably. Its a nice respite before braving the HHN crowds and standing in lines.

have done the Stay and Scream multiple times. Not being a native Floridian, I find the temps at HHN to be rather hot. I don't understand it, but it seems to even get a little hotter at night, maybe its just me. Staying inside an air-conditioned restaurant seemed to be most important for me during the Stay and Scream waiting period. Of course everyone else has pretty much the same idea. Second choice would be a shady spot somewhere but I think you will find most of those will be occupied as well. I would recommend getting to one of the Stay and Scream areas early and securing a seat in a nice air-conditioned restaurant, grab something to eat and drink and wait comfortably. Its a nice respite before braving the HHN crowds and standing in lines.

Which restaurants would you recommend? Springfield area? That is where we were planning to head this year for S&S

I personally like Cletus' Chicken Shacks Chicken and Waffle sandwich (ask for extra maple syrup mayo sauce on the side). That is in the Springfield area. You can score a table in Moes and then go grab your food, that way you have access to alcohol. I'm not sure if you can bring beers from Moes into the fast food boulevard area or not, I've never tried.
Other choice is Finnegans, they have a good size menu with alcohol, but I hate the irish soda bread that they bring to your table, but so what, don't eat it, its free anyway.
I don't know if there will be a stay and scream in Potter land or not. I have only waited in Springfield and Finnegans and have been cool and happy in both.

Which restaurants would you recommend? Springfield area? That is where we were planning to head this year for S&S

No matter where you get your food from (.e. if you bring it in from CityWalk), Springfield area is my favorite S&S by far. It has the most room with plenty of seating inside with AC, the bar inside as well as the bar outside.

No matter where you get your food from (.e. if you bring it in from CityWalk), Springfield area is my favorite S&S by far. It has the most room with plenty of seating inside with AC, the bar inside as well as the bar outside.

Only done it once before and we stayed in the Lucy area. Was awful. No real shade or proper seating. Hoping to get into Springfield early this time so we can get indoors.

Only done it once before and we stayed in the Lucy area. Was awful. No real shade or proper seating. Hoping to get into Springfield early this time so we can get indoors.
You don't even have to get to Springfield early to get seating indoors, I've never seen a full Springfield S&S out of all the times we've done it (every single year except for once last year due to Stranger Things).

Our first year we did Finnegan's, the second Simpson's. If I had to pick one again, I'd do Finnegan's in a heartbeat. You can get a good solid meal in and have plenty of water and AC before embarking on your day. We went about 4 on that day, I think, so we were able to be seated before the rush set in.

Simpson's food we found rather lackluster, to be fair we do keto so a bunless Krusty burger with no fries is pretty boring. We also didn't get a say in that one - we did the AP stay and scream that night.

Last year I did Stay and Scream two nights - first night I walked into Finnegans during their switchover and asked for a table for one. Ended up at a booth with a married couple. It was kind of weird at first (and then again when their food came out but mine was lost in the system). It was nice though as it was their first time at HHN and their first vacation without their kids so I gave them some insight on the houses (they had done zero research). Was nice to sit in the air conditioning and enjoy the food and beers. Was not rushed at all.

Second night went to Springfield and noticed that a lot of people went in and sat inside and never ordered food. Since I was alone, was slightly difficult to find a table but when I went in the past, one of us would grab a table while the others would get the food. Still enjoyed the air conditioning and the food is exactly what I expect and get from Springfield.

Also did Lucy one year and swore never again. One year did the early seating for the buffet and when we were done eating, walked outside expecting to be directed back in and were pleasantly surprised to be allowed to walk with the crowd from Finnegan's area. Buffet was good as well. That was several years ago.

Most times I will usually grab a really late lunch in City Walk and make it USF by 4:30 and sit and drink/people watch. Very fun talking to others in the S&S areas and giving/getting hints about strategies. Then usually a late pizza at Cabana Bay...

I like the idea of bringing citywalk food to Springfield S&S, just dont think it will work out for me. I find that I usually end up walking something like 437 miles in a full day at universal (maybe a slight exaggeration), anyway I try not to walk any further than i have to, and walking out of the park to citywalk and back just doesn't give me the payback that plopping my butt into a chair in Finnegans does.

I like the idea of bringing citywalk food to Springfield S&S, just dont think it will work out for me. I find that I usually end up walking something like 437 miles in a full day at universal (maybe a slight exaggeration), anyway I try not to walk any further than i have to, and walking out of the park to citywalk and back just doesn't give me the payback that plopping my butt into a chair in Finnegans does.

makes sense, we usually have 10 ppl minimum in our group and send the youngest/most energetic to red oven for us.

we also never stay in the parks all day on a HHN night, we go first thing park open, head back to the hotel around 1pm to relax, maybe swim then get changed and head back in. Towards the beginning we weren't the greatest at guesstimating the boat travel times and had a few last second sprints into the gates before 4pm. One time we had people run ahead and beg the ticket kiosk lady to please wait to close for us to get in.