Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

We went to Carrowinds this summer and found low waits, a clean park, and incredible rides. It cost us $44 a person.
Carrowinds is nice (and run better than 90% of Six Flags park) but in the end, its a regional park with good coasters, not anywhere near what Disney or Universal do. Its apples and oranges.

This report is so interesting... to see that everything everyone following has reported is true. I believe I have read on here that there are absolutely no blackouts on the opening of WDW SWGE? If so, the crowds will be telling.

This report is so interesting... to see that everything everyone following has reported is true. I believe I have read on here that there are absolutely no blackouts on the opening of WDW SWGE? If so, the crowds will be telling.
I'm thinking DHS' GESWL will be crowded. Lot's of locals and AP holders will show up for the new thing in town. They always do. And, there's only 6 rides in the park, so there's not a whole lot to ride like in Disneyland. However, I don't anticipate it bringing a lot of tourists to WDW overall, in the first few months. Hotel room bookings were fairly late and soft.

Carrowinds is nice (and run better than 90% of Six Flags park) but in the end, its a regional park with good coasters, not anywhere near what Disney or Universal do. Its apples and oranges.
It is not apples to oranges. Vacations cost money and people have budgets. They are going to compare destinations based on total value and not just going to burn money because universal or Disney is at a higher level. $1200 dollars is 3 days of tickets alone at Disney for 4 people. $1200 is 3 days of parks, hotel, and money to spare at regions like busch gardens, cedar point, sea world/tampa, europa park, port aventura, any other not insanely priced park or region.

It is not apples to oranges. Vacations cost money and people have budgets. They are going to compare destinations based on total value and not just going to burn money because universal or Disney is at a higher level. $1200 dollars is 3 days of tickets alone at Disney for 4 people. $1200 is 3 days of parks, hotel, and money to spare at regions like busch gardens, cedar point, sea world/tampa, europa park, port aventura, any other not insanely priced park or region.
I think the whole point is some people can and can’t afford Disney which is fine. But don’t make it seem like people are stupid for choosing to still spend their money on them.

I think the whole point is some people can and can’t afford Disney which is fine. But don’t make it seem like people are stupid for choosing to still spend their money on them.

I never said they were stupid. I just said it’s extremely over priced, over crowded, and yes...over rated. I love theme parks, obviously, but the yearly inflation and the constant nickel and dime ing is enough to turn off families. Including mine.

I think this was a challenging summer for ALL parks, and that was really unexpected. I think though on paper the economy is still doing well, there is a recession coming and people are nervous and either not spending money or don't have it to spend right now. Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and SWP&E all gave reports that fell short of predictions despite new capital expenditures and discounted ticketing. I think the weather has also been a factor. This spring/summer started out much wetter than usual with record rains and flooding all over the country, followed by the hottest summer temperature recorded all over the country.

Disneyland did a lot of boneheaded stuff to keep people away, but there may be bigger trends in the economy to blame as well.
My current theory is that we are in a recession right now and that's why resorts are struggling. Consumer confidence is down so no one is spending money, plus the real stupid decisions Disney made, they are in for a reckoning. My guess is that the next few years are going to be tough for The Walt Disney Company. They bought Fox and now they are realizing now that it might have been overpriced. Maybe it was Comcast's play all along, to make Disney overpay for Fox. But back on topic, I do think that a recession might be a factor, but the stupid decisions Disney made along the way aren't helping matters. Plus the whole "Disney killed Star Wars" seems to be real, since in the report it says that sales for consumer products for Star Wars were also down. Too many things up in the air at the moment, but a post mortem is taking shape. The thing we know for sure: Disneyland is overpriced

My current theory is that we are in a recession right now and that's why resorts are struggling. Consumer confidence is down so no one is spending money, plus the real stupid decisions Disney made, they are in for a reckoning. My guess is that the next few years are going to be tough for The Walt Disney Company. They bought Fox and now they are realizing now that it might have been overpriced. Maybe it was Comcast's play all along, to make Disney overpay for Fox. But back on topic, I do think that a recession might be a factor, but the stupid decisions Disney made along the way aren't helping matters. Plus the whole "Disney killed Star Wars" seems to be real, since in the report it says that sales for consumer products for Star Wars were also down. Too many things up in the air at the moment, but a post mortem is taking shape. The thing we know for sure: Disneyland is overpriced
I think Disney knows they paid more than Fox was worth, but in order for Disney to make their streaming dreams fully realized, they felt it was worth it.

As we all know, IPs don’t make a good ride. They can only enhance an already good one.
Yes, but they do lead to Universal and Disney being a bit more expensive than others

That and incredibly themed attractions and lands, which is more so what you're paying for

While I did initially like GE, I honestly don’t feel the urge of “Man, I really want to go back now to experience it again!” I have the mindset if “I’ll just go whenever once my pass is good again.” I just don’t have the enthusiasm I thought I would. Maybe it will help once Rise opens but even then.,.

If any of these horrible rumors about ep. 9 are true, that’s really going to kill my excitement for this ride. Even if it turns out to be a really cool, just the fact that it will be in the setting that will have ruined Star Wars for me will likely hinder my enjoyment for the ride and many other people.

Unless I think Rise is really incredible, I think once my pass expires, I’m probably going to let it go for a couple of years. The hype has totally left me for GE and these Ep 9 rumors aren’t helping. I’m sure many APers will feel the same way. I could see this being a unique scenario that no matter how good the ride may be, assuming these awful ep. 9 rumors are true, that people’s enjoyment of the ride will be hindered from the creative direction of the movies regardless of how good the ride is.

Last edited:
While I did initially like GE, I honestly don’t feel the urge of “Man, I really want to go back now to experience it again!” I have the mindset if “I’ll just go whenever once my pass is good again.” I just don’t have the enthusiasm I thought I would. Maybe it will help once Rise opens but even then.,.

If any of these horrible rumors about ep. 9 are true, that’s really going to kill my excitement for this ride. Even if it turns out to be a really cool, just the fact that it will be in the setting that will have ruined Star Wars for me will likely hinder my enjoyment for the ride and many other people.

Unless I think Rise is really incredible, I think once my pass expires, I’m probably going to let it go for a couple of years. The hype has totally left me for GE and these Ep 9 rumors aren’t helping. I’m sure many APers will feel the same way. I could see this being a unique scenario that no matter how good the ride may be, assuming these awful ep. 9 rumors are true, that people’s enjoyment of the ride will be hindered from the creative direction of the movies regardless of how good the ride is.
It seems like a lot of work to visit, is this the case?

What rumors?

What rumors?
Hooooo boy....

Time travel is involved, Rey and Kylo may “repopulate” by using the force, Rey gives birth to Anakin and she is actually Shmi Skywalker, Kylo puts on the Darth Bader outfit, Rey is able to lift the Death Star using the force.

Hooooo boy....

Time travel is involved, Rey and Kylo may “repopulate” by using the force, Rey gives birth to Anakin and she is actually Shmi Skywalker, Kylo puts on the Darth Bader outfit, Rey is able to lift the Death Star using the force.
These sounds very far fetched