Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

NBCUniversal Evolution Plan

I don't think it will go as far as the Fung Lum plot. I think it'll be in the red outline below, taking over all the buildings behind stage 12, including Ross Hunter and Rock Hudson buildings. In the concept art, you can see the two hotels in the background on the right side which gives us the approximate photo angle.

Evolution Plan Phase 2.jpg

I don't think it will go as far as the Fung Lum plot. I think it'll be in the red outline below, taking over all the buildings behind stage 12, including Ross Hunter and Rock Hudson buildings. In the concept art, you can see the two hotels in the background on the right side which gives us the approximate photo angle.

View attachment 11545
Yep Looking at it again your representation looks more like what the concept art is showing. I do know the area next to sound stage 12 has been cleared of brush all the way up to the fung Lum lot. The fung Lum parking lot has special memories for me because that is where we would sneak into universal studios back in the day.

As someone who's only recently begun to follow USH stuff, could anyone give me (and anybody else who's in the same boat as me) maybe a brief rundown on what we could reasonable expect here?

Im just not aware of potential land availability, USH's profits, etc. Id think a hotel must be in their future, especially if they're going to continue to develop the lower lot into more park stuff.

Not sure about profit but Attendence has gone up by 65% since 2012 and they are not far off 10m per year - Orlando numbers.

It depends how far the plan goes and what it's targeted at. The 2013 plan was completely transformative where as the 2016 plan was more focussed on facilities.

2013 plan: (Still amazed they did this much!)
  • The Wizarding World
  • Springfield
  • F&F Supercharged
  • The Walking Dead
  • Minion Mayhem / Super silly fun land
  • Massive new parking garage
  • and pretty much the demoing of 70% of the upper lot to rebuild it with better spaces and a consitent theme - Universal Boulevard entrance, Universal plaza etc
2016 plan/update:
  • Around 12 soundstages if I remember correctly, not all complete yet
  • The demoing of the soundstages which are now where SNW is being built
There is a lot of space behind The Mummy which was marked for theme park expansion, they could probably get 2 fully themed lands there.

Sorry not as brief as I intended but you get the idea!

The fung Lum parking lot has special memories for me because that is where we would sneak into universal studios back in the day.

After that, what route did you take to enter the park?

To keep this on topic, it's smart of them to utilize that hillside for the new campus. They're making good use out of unused land.

Looks like we'll be getting an announcement for phase two of the evolution plan very soon and (surprise surprise) it will focus on the lower lot and front lot of the studio.

Super happy to see the Evolution Plan continue. It's impact on the property, is so much; and it pleases me to see them continuing onward, to now address this particular area (especially since the remaining new stages on Red Sea are stalled for the time being).

Hopefully the incoming release of phase 2 of the Evolution plan will finally reveal if there are any plans to build an official on site hotel for Universal Studios Hollywood.

Does anyone have any clue as when this plan will be revealed?

Nope, but the Peacock Live event would be the perfect place.

...Y'know, that'd actually make a lot of sense in hindsight.

It'd allow NBCUniversal and Comcast to announce their commitment to studio productions, with new and renovated soundstages; alongside the announcements of projects in the pipeline. Albeit..similar to the 2014 announcement that basically announced the roadmap for the 2-year period.

Hopefully the incoming release of phase 2 of the Evolution plan will finally reveal if there are any plans to build an official on site hotel for Universal Studios Hollywood.

Does anyone have any clue as when this plan will be revealed?

The original evolution plan had hotels on it, but they haven't yet built them, so just having them on the plan doesn't mean they will happen.

I still can't wait to see the plans though!

So when this new campus building opens, will it mean other buildings can come down elsewhere on the Lower Lot for more theme park expansion?

and is that a parking garage underneath the glass building in the concept art?

Last edited:
So when this new campus building opens, will it mean other buildings can come down elsewhere on the Lower Lot for more theme park expansion?

and is that a parking garage underneath the glass building in the concept art?
In theory, yes. However, these new buildings will be largely administrative and creative oriented (I.e. not filming). Conference rooms and office spaces, that sort of thing. This won't make up for lost soundstages, but will allow them to consolidate some of their production support services. Most of the buildings immediately surrounding the lower lot are either Soundstages or storage, which aren't directly replaced by the new buildings.

And yes, it is a parking garage.

As part of the approved Evolution Plan, NBCUniversal has announced plans to transform the Universal Studios Lower Lot into a dynamic campus that builds on the studio’s long legacy of entertainment, innovation, and excellence.

“In addressing our growing business needs, we wanted to look forward and invest in our employees of today and our artists and filmmakers of the future,” said Ed Chuchla, chief real estate officer, NBCUniversal. “We want to make this the most collaborative campus possible.”

While still in the earliest stages of the process, the project will include:
  • A contemporary Employee Commons building with new dining options, best-in-class theater and screening rooms, and a dedicated event space.
  • A new Creative Office building that focuses on innovative and flexible workspaces designed to maximize collaboration, comfort, and productivity.
  • Thoughtful indoor and outdoor gathering spaces for meetings and dining.
  • Extensive greening and purposed green spaces throughout the project site.
NBCUniversal will share additional exciting details about this multi-year project in early 2020. As always, we remain committed to keeping employees and the surrounding community up-to-date as the project progresses.

Be sure to check back in, as we’ll be providing additional information as it becomes available.

Any new update on the Evolution plans for Universal Studios Hollywood
Not really. Work on the BoH Campus has stalled, likely due to COVID. The last update was from the end of May. We were hoping that Peacock Live, scheduled for the end of March, would give us some more information, but that was cancelled.