Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Resort

I'm probably in the minority on this but I wish that Disney would go more the route of Universal Express and also reduce the FP+ ratio to around 30% of capacity.
I agree. Universal Express doesn't really have a negative effect on standby times like FP Plus does. Except for holiday crowds, there's generally just handful of people in the Express lines, and Universal's stand by times are decent. Right now FP+ at WDW is generally 80% (varies a couple of points depending on the attraction). That percentage is a killer for stand by times.

Looking like they might add a version of Max Pass to WDW next year too, if what insiders say is correct.

I greatly prefer MaxPass over the WDW Fastpass+ system since you don't have to plan stuff 60 days out. Since Fastpass+ puts a monetary value on Fastpasses at WDW since people with hotel reservations get priority, I wonder if it will continue to exist if they implement the Disneyland MaxPass system.

I greatly prefer MaxPass over the WDW Fastpass+ system since you don't have to plan stuff 60 days out. Since Fastpass+ puts a monetary value on Fastpasses at WDW since people with hotel reservations get priority, I wonder if it will continue to exist if they implement the Disneyland MaxPass system.
Unfortunately, according to the Magic insiders, it sounds like they're keeping the present system though with less choices, and adding some even more confusing things (Disney chooses some of your FP rides and times according to your demographic) to the system, plus a pay for FP. Sounds like it will be a mess that will require a 'Doctorate in Themeparkology' to understand. The Disneyland system does sound better and simpler, but it doesn't seem like that's the route they're looking at.

The whole Disney experience at the parks is becoming too convoluted.....especially for the average tourist or family that doesn't have the time to skower these boards and figure which hoops to jump through. FP+...Max Pass....Boarding Pass....Add On....Park Hopper....Single Day....AP.....Blackout....EMH....Upcharge......gimme a break! Start streamlining Disney! I know that it's a great day to be a beancounter at Disney but this will all come home to roost when the ecomomy takes a downturn. Stop taking advantage of people by offering less for more!!!

That just doesn't sound well thought out but maybe I'm missing something. Flight of Passage at least has a queue that can handle a two hour standby crowd. Why wouldn't they create a queue for Rise that rivaled Flight, knowing that it would be a marquee attraction?

Would they be willing to PO 2 million DVC members who are some of their most loyal big spenders?

Does anyone know of a good article that breakdowns the value for each AP tier? I just moved to LA and want to get an AP around May. I’m having trouble deciding which level holds the most value when you consider blackout dates, parking, and Maxpass.

Unfortunately, according to the Magic insiders, it sounds like they're keeping the present system though with less choices, and adding some even more confusing things (Disney chooses some of your FP rides and times according to your demographic) to the system, plus a pay for FP. Sounds like it will be a mess that will require a 'Doctorate in Themeparkology' to understand. The Disneyland system does sound better and simpler, but it doesn't seem like that's the route they're looking at.

This sounds absolutely horrible. It is already way too much of a hassle to go to WDW with how it works currently. I also really hate the idea of Disney choosing my fastpasses. Eventually, WDW is going to reach a point where the average guests decides that the hassle and cost isn't worth it anymore.

So today's the day Monster's Inc get's Fastpass implemented, and the results are exactly what we expected...

….actually, it's -worse- than what we expected!

Seriously, with the cut's they've made here and there it's baffling they implemented something which requires FIVE extra CM's to manage the lines. (In the off season, no less!) This is yet another prime example why FP is one of the worst expedited queue systems.

So today's the day Monster's Inc get's Fastpass implemented, and the results are exactly what we expected...

Seriously, with the cut's they've made here and there it's baffling they implemented something which requires FIVE extra CM's to manage the lines. (In the off season, no less!) This is yet another prime example why FP is one of the worst expedited queue systems.

it actually started last week. It’s been rough since, but this was the first busy day with it... so it’s even worse!! Hate hate hate.

What an absolute joke. It's far from my favorite ride in either park, but I've always enjoyed how quiet that little corner of DCA is simply for serving as a quick, yet still active break. I've never had to wait longer than 10-15 minutes, if that, to ride this, and that's why we've liked it: It's something we can get on quick, sit for a few minutes, and enjoy ourselves.

Now? There is no way I'd ever stand in line for 45 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer for this, nor is it a ride I'd ever consider getting a FP for, because it's the type of ride that you do while waiting for your FP return time on something "better." Between shoehorning FP into places it doesn't need to be and the fact that there's no end in sight to the boarding passes for ROTR, I'm realizing how much my AP is going to waste. Years past, I'd try and go every month, but now? I haven't been since October, and it sucks that I have no desire to go; as much as I want to do ROTR, I can't be there at the crack of dawn to fight hundreds of other people in the hopes of getting a boarding pass.

I feel, too, for families who get their big chance to travel to Anaheim for their big Disney/California vacation, excited to ride ROTR, only to find that APs who have already been on the ride nine times already have snagged up all the boarding passes in the morning so they can get their tenth one in.

As loyalty blinded guests, you are supposed to appreciate the opportunity to wait even longer for a ride to soak in the Disney ambiance. Not just suspension of belief but also suspension of logic and human reasoning.

From Touring Plans a few hours ago: "Disneyland crowd levels are down in 2020 so far, so it is time for a Disneyland Crowd Calendar update. Half of the days since Jan. 1, 2020 saw a crowd level less than 3 on our scale. That goes for Disneyland Park & DCA. Compare that to last year when DCA had seven days reach a crowd level 10 during the same period. Between Jan. 1, 2019 and Feb. 14, 2019 the average crowd level between the two parks was above 5, this year it was below 3.2.....The recent dips in crowd size is surprising given that RotR has only been open for a month. The new land and new ride are drawing large crowds, but they're not heading to other areas of the resort after experiencing Batuu, We normally observe a 6-12% bump in wait times across the park when a new headliner opens, but it looks like Disneyland will actually show a drop of 5-10% when the wave is over"..............Touring Plans then issued changes for the rest of the year of their crowd calendar with some downward revisions.

Last edited:
From Touring Plans a few hours ago: "Disneyland crowd levels are down in 2020 so far, so it is time for a Disneyland Crowd Calendar update. Half of the days since Jan. 1, 2020 saw a crowd level less than 3 on our scale. That goes for Disneyland Park & DCA. Compare that to last year when DCA had seven days reach a crowd level 10 during the same period. Between Jan. 1, 2019 and Feb. 14, 2019 the average crowd level between the two parks was above 5, this year it was below 3.2.....The recent dips in crowd size is surprising given that RotR has only been open for a month. The new land and new ride are drawing large crowds, but they're not heading to other areas of the resort after experiencing Batuu, We normally observe a 6-12% bump in wait times across the park when a new headliner opens, but it looks like Disneyland will actually show a drop of 5-10% when the wave is over"..............Touring Plans then issued changes for the next 8 months of their crowd calendar with some downward revisions.
Not to toot my own horn, but I figured this would happen. Disney just shot themselves in the foot by raising prices. While I don’t think it will be as bad as last year, I would expect another low Summer attendance this year. I think the public has spoken. DLR is just getting too expensive to be worth it for their market.

Whether they like or not, DLR’s primary audience is locals/regional guests living around the Western US. The reason WDW can get away with raising the prices so high while maintaining crowds is because it’s a tourist destination. Playing this price increase game every year is not going to make their lack of crowds any better at DLR, even when a spectacular new ride opens up. You can argue that tourists may still want to visit, but if they’re going to chose between spending the dough to fly out to DL or WDW, which destination do you think your average tourist will favor? Sounds like Disney really wants to play chicken with theIr SoCal market.

The lack of attendance doesn’t help either when you spend years of not adding anything major, yet aggressively raise the prices to insist that the “same old” is worth it. Disney is either going to have to play catch up by adding stuff to make their new prices worth it (Over $200 for a one day peak park hopper!? WTH!!!?) or their situation will not improve. It’s already snowballing further by holding off on MMRR and Avengers.

It's a really weird way of thinking to basically stop or delay spending on the parks when there is a downturn in visitor numbers, that's the exact time you need to spend to get people back in.

It's a really weird way of thinking to basically stop or delay spending on the parks when there is a downturn in visitor numbers, that's the exact time you need to spend to get people back in.
The stoppage is about China, not the domestic parks.

Which makes even less sense.
The parks aren't open, thus drop in overall revenue for the Parks and Resorts division this quarter. Basically, the parks are making less money than expected because of the closures, which is never good if you like the company spending money.