Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rise of the Resistance - Boarding Passes/Uptimes (DHS)

From the outside, I feel like I'd have a better shot at riding Hagrid than Rise right now.

Right now? Of course, Hagrid has a 6-month head start in fixing issues. When Rise opened Hagrid was running most of the day at around 1700 guests an hour but when it opened you were looking at 8-hour ops with 500-600 guests an hour throughput. But one does allow you to show up after the park opening and have a shot of riding it.

Right now? Of course, Hagrid has a 6-month head start in fixing issues. When Rise opened Hagrid was running most of the day at around 1700 guests an hour but when it opened you were looking at 8-hour ops with 500-600 guests an hour throughput. But one does allow you to show up after the park opening and have a shot of riding it.
Therein lies the issue for the prk is a lot of guests don't realize you need to be there the second the park opens to have a chance to be on the ride, but they come to the park anyway. But now they've used a day off of their park hopper, so they spend the rest of the day in an over crowded park that has a lot of people either waiting in line or just sitting around waiting for their boarding group to be called. As I type write now, here are the wait times at DHS:

Slinky - Temporarily closed
ToT - 95
Smugglers Run - 95
RNRC - 75
Meet Darth Vader - 60
Meet Sulley - 50
TSMM - 50
ST - 40
Meet Mickey & Minnie - 40
Saucers - 40

These are rather down to earth wait times compared to what it's been recently, but even still, that leaves no ride in the park with less than a 40 minute wait and M&G's running upwards of 60? This park has real issues. Because of these wait times, if you actually want to get the whole park done just in rides, you have to stay until late afternoon or so if you didn't book FP+ simply because the lines are ridiculous.

Therein lies the issue for the prk is a lot of guests don't realize you need to be there the second the park opens to have a chance to be on the ride, but they come to the park anyway. But now they've used a day off of their park hopper, so they spend the rest of the day in an over crowded park that has a lot of people either waiting in line or just sitting around waiting for their boarding group to be called. As I type write now, here are the wait times at DHS:

ToT - 95
Smugglers Run - 95
RNRC - 75
Meet Darth Vader - 60
Meet Sulley - 50
TSMM - 50
ST - 40
Saucers - 40

These are rather down to earth wait times compared to what it's been recently, but even still, that leaves no ride in the park with less than a 40 minute wait and M&G's running upwards of 60? This park has real issues. Because of these wait times, if you actually want to get the whole park done just in rides, you practically have to stay until close simply because the lines are ridiculous.

Disney needs to get rid of boarding groups at DHS, the park can't handle it. Let the thousands line up for the ride and snake them through the park. I can only imagine Disney's getting hammered at Guest Relations and satisfaction surveys.

ToT - 95
Smugglers Run - 95
RNRC - 75
Meet Darth Vader - 60
Meet Sulley - 50
TSMM - 50
ST - 40
Saucers - 40

These are rather down to earth wait times compared to what it's been recently, but even still, that leaves no ride in the park with less than a 40 minute wait and M&G's running upwards of 60? This park has real issues.
Let's have some with it. Here are the attractions on that list I would have any interest in:

ToT - 95
Smugglers Run - 95
RNRC - 75
Meet Darth Vader - 60
Meet Sulley - 50
TSMM - 50

ST - 40
Saucers - 40

You could add Runaway Railway, if that's operating .I haven't been to Hollywood Studios in over a decade. Throw in the fact that, apart from Indy, there aren't any shows that interest me either, I would be LIVID if this was a vacation day for me.

Yeah, Hagrids is past the “I might spend two hours stuck in a cave and still not get to ride” point. If I were planning to spend a full day at Disney with a park hopper I’d give Rise a go, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother with the park at all other than maybe in the evening.

Not to throw more negative conjecture on top of the obvious ops problems, but programming and troubleshooting trackless vehicles is a pretty specialized skill and they have three trackless rides opening within 7-8 months of each other. What do you prioritize, fixing Rise or getting MMRR online? What happens if Rat isn’t as straightforward as a drag and drop? Not the best macro-level resource planning from Disney.

edit: I’m an idiot - four trackless rides. Two copies of Rise.

Edit 2: forgot about Tokyo BatB. Five.

Disney needs to get rid of boarding groups at DHS, the park can't handle it. Let the thousands line up for the ride and snake them through the park. I can only imagine Disney's getting hammered at Guest Relations and satisfaction surveys.
Part of me is hoping they've been waiting for MMRR to open to switch to stand-by as that adds another main draw. Not getting hopes up though.

You're right. Terrible math on my part.

And you're also right about early morning sell-outs.

From the outside, I feel like I'd have a better shot at riding Hagrid than Rise right now.

Agreed with this. We waited for Hagrids once it opened and were able to ride. It opened at 12:30 the day we were there but, once it was running, I didn't doubt that we would get the opportunity. I didn't even try to get Rise. The whole boarding group thing, along with an unreliable new ride, just was a non-starter for me. However, I am quite happy for those who get to ride it.

According to posters on Magic, last group called today was #68. Since they started the day with group #10, that was only 58 boarding groups for the day. Not good.

Yeah, Hagrids is past the “I might spend two hours stuck in a cave and still not get to ride” point. If I were planning to spend a full day at Disney with a park hopper I’d give Rise a go, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother with the park at all other than maybe in the evening.

Not to throw more negative conjecture on top of the obvious ops problems, but programming and troubleshooting trackless vehicles is a pretty specialized skill and they have three trackless rides opening within 7-8 months of each other. What do you prioritize, fixing Rise or getting MMRR online? What happens if Rat isn’t as straightforward as a drag and drop? Not the best macro-level resource planning from Disney.

edit: I’m an idiot - four trackless rides. Two copies of Rise.

Edit 2: forgot about Tokyo BatB. Five.
Fun Fact: MMRR has so far been the most reliable of the 5, and it still deals with its fair share of breakdowns (although close to “standard new attraction” level of breakdowns)

Went on a little family staycation this week and yesterday was DHS day. This was my first time inside DHS since Rise’s opening day, so this was my first time experiencing the “lottery system” for RotR. I got in roughly around 7:00, I had my phone and the app open before I got in the park. Once inside I found a place to sit and refresh the app. Soon enough it was 8:00 AM, as the families around mine got 18, 10, etc. by 8:01 AM the app finally recognized that I was actually attempting to get a Boarding Pass and I received Group 93. With the message that any group above 66 is a backup and will only be called if the initial groups have already gotten through.

QeSFcC4.gif

So while we did finally get called to ride around 6:00 (and it was just amazing as the first time) I seriously cannot stress enough that you’re taking your own sanity in your hands by attending DHS during this phase in it’s life. In the years I’ve been visiting I’ve never seen that park as crowded as I saw it yesterday. I’ve never seen the Guest Relations line as long, the entire extended Star Tours queue in use, being in the park the only rides I was able to get on (with a relatively normal wait time) were ones I had a FP for, it was a 40 minute wait for the preview of Onward, etc., it honestly felt like Christmas week minus the decor but ++++ the parkwide general aggravations.

TL;DR: if you’re going to DHS to attempt RotR any time soon may the force be with you.

Went on a little family staycation this week and yesterday was DHS day. This was my first time inside DHS since Rise’s opening day, so this was my first time experiencing the “lottery system” for RotR. I got in roughly around 7:00, I had my phone and the app open before I got in the park. Once inside I found a place to sit and refresh the app. Soon enough it was 8:00 AM, as the families around mine got 18, 10, etc. by 8:01 AM the app finally recognized that I was actually attempting to get a Boarding Pass and I received Group 93. With the message that any group above 66 is a backup and will only be called if the initial groups have already gotten through.

QeSFcC4.gif

So while we did finally get called to ride around 6:00 (and it was just amazing as the first time) I seriously cannot stress enough that you’re taking your own sanity in your hands by attending DHS during this phase in it’s life. In the years I’ve been visiting I’ve never seen that park as crowded as I saw it yesterday. I’ve never seen the Guest Relations line as long, the entire extended Star Tours queue in use, being in the park the only rides I was able to get on (with a relatively normal wait time) were ones I had a FP for, it was a 40 minute wait for the preview of Onward, etc., it honestly felt like Christmas week minus the decor but ++++ the parkwide general aggravations.

TL;DR: if you’re going to DHS to attempt RotR any time soon may the force be with you.
Yes, same experience as you...except unfortunately, even with boarding group # 68 , it never even got close to us getting on the ride. It's just too crowded with too little to ride, and all lines are crazy with no fastpasses available day of, for any rides, just a couple shows.

Yeah lines are pretty bad today too. Is this due to winter breaks up north or...?

Yeah lines are pretty bad today too. Is this due to winter breaks up north or...?
It's been like that for nearly two months. 9 & 10 level crowds (Touring Plans) just about every day.....Especially since RotR generally is only doing about half as many riders daily as it did the first four weeks it was open. Too many people milling around waiting for a chance to ride.

Last edited:
A day late (it took that long to board.. I kid!) with this report.

Went along at 6.30am on Sunday with the joys of not adjusting to the time zone helping for once! Pretty strong crowds and then allowed into the park at 7am. Queue the chaos of scanning in and everyone spreading out to their planned initial action stations. Then bang on 8am, cheers all around as some people got boarding groups 18...31...12.... I'm now excitedly awaiting our group when BAM..... 94. Soul destroying. We got on around 3.30pm though. So, was it worth the wait? Absolutely, it's an incredible ride. Is DHS a hot mess with these crowd levels? Even more absolutely.

We go again on Friday, may the force be with us.

Boarding Group #2! :exclap:
How?! You must be the game master!
Jk Jk
Seriously though, I don’t visit Disney all that often because I have a pass for UO. However, when I come down later in the month I wanted to go to Hollywood Studios to have a Star Wars day with my dad who is a huge fan and I would like to ensure (as much as I can) that we can see/do all things Star Wars. I know that Savi’s is taking reservations online now and I’ve done that. Can I do the same for Oga’s and the Droid Depot or do I have to wait until we get in the actual land? Also any pro tips for getting a ROTR boarding pass?

How?! You must be the game master!
Jk Jk
Seriously though, I don’t visit Disney all that often because I have a pass for UO. However, when I come down later in the month I wanted to go to Hollywood Studios to have a Star Wars day with my dad who is a huge fan and I would like to ensure (as much as I can) that we can see/do all things Star Wars. I know that Savi’s is taking reservations online now and I’ve done that. Can I do the same for Oga’s and the Droid Depot or do I have to wait until we get in the actual land? Also any pro tips for getting a ROTR boarding pass?

Well, having a party of one made it real easy for me. :lol: Though if you only have two people, it shouldn't be that hard either. As for Savi's, Oga's, and Droid Depot, I can't speak to those because I didn't bother with them. All I did was Rise, Smuggler's Run, had a quick bite at Ronto Roasters, and tried the blue milk (which was pretty bad). As for my tips, I can only offer the following from my experience:

1. Beef up on the My Disney Experience Virtual Queue system. I watched lots of videos for scoring RotR passes the night before, so I felt like I knew what I was doing.

2. Get there early! Mornings at DHS look like a scene from peak-season pre-COVID. When I went to Epcot back in August, I arrived at the parking booths about an hour prior to park opening. The employee manning the booth told me that I would have to come back 30 mins later since they weren't letting anyone into the lot yet. I figured that was going to be the same case at DHS, so I arrived around 40 mins before park opening and was quickly greeted with a long line of cars that took about 10 mins to get through. Between the lines for parking, temp checks, security, and entering the park, you definitely want as much time to avoid having to rush like a maniac like I did. Try and aim to be at the parking lot an hour before opening.

3. Turn off Wi-Fi on your phone and use the data. I've heard mixed things over whether data/Wi-Fi is the better option, but this is what worked for my phone.

4. Try and find a spot away from crowds who will all be trying to do the same and could slow down your phone. Sadly, this does mean giving up a good head-start on a standby queue for another ride (especially Runaway Railway which gets crushed in the morning). I parked myself in front of Backlot Express about 10 minutes before park opening. Luckily, no one else was over there and I had 4 bars on a Sprint phone.

5. Around the five-minute mark, pull up the app on your phone and constantly start refreshing the Virtual Queue option. The passes drop at park opening on the dot, so you want to make sure your phone is running with no problems.

Best of luck. It's a stressful experience to be sure, but worth it if you can snag a ride.

Well, having a party of one made it real easy for me. :lol: Though if you only have two people, it shouldn't be that hard either. As for Savi's, Oga's, and Droid Depot, I can't speak to those because I didn't bother with them. All I did was Rise, Smuggler's Run, had a quick bite at Ronto Roasters, and tried the blue milk (which was pretty bad). As for my tips, I can only offer the following from my experience:

1. Beef up on the My Disney Experience Virtual Queue system. I watched lots of videos for scoring RotR passes the night before, so I felt like I knew what I was doing.

2. Get there early! Mornings at DHS look like a scene from peak-season pre-COVID. When I went to Epcot back in August, I arrived at the parking booths about an hour prior to park opening. The employee manning the booth told me that I would have to come back 30 mins later since they weren't letting anyone into the lot yet. I figured that was going to be the same case at DHS, so I arrived around 40 mins before park opening and was quickly greeted with a long line of cars that took about 10 mins to get through. Between the lines for parking, temp checks, security, and entering the park, you definitely want as much time to avoid having to rush like a maniac like I did. Try and aim to be at the parking lot an hour before opening.

3. Turn off Wi-Fi on your phone and use the data. I've heard mixed things over whether data/Wi-Fi is the better option, but this is what worked for my phone.

4. Try and find a spot away from crowds who will all be trying to do the same and could slow down your phone. Sadly, this does mean giving up a good head-start on a standby queue for another ride (especially Runaway Railway which gets crushed in the morning). I parked myself in front of Backlot Express about 10 minutes before park opening. Luckily, no one else was over there and I had 4 bars on a Sprint phone.

5. Around the five-minute mark, pull up the app on your phone and constantly start refreshing the Virtual Queue option. The passes drop at park opening on the dot, so you want to make sure your phone is running with no problems.

Best of luck. It's a stressful experience to be sure, but worth it if you can snag a ride.

Thank you for all of your insights! Trying to find good YouTube videos that give a lot of detail on all of the procedures, etc. in the post Covid world we live in have been few and far between and my last visit was more than a few years ago. This virtual queue line for ROTR is all new to me so thank you again for all of your tips!